This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The system did it!

"Please ignore that email that went out to everybody, which included a lot of my personal information. The system put in the wrong address and sent it to everyone, instead of just HR."

Uh huh. Because once you fill in the To line in an email, it's hidden, so you can't see who you are actually emailing. It's a mystery. </s> Oh, wicked, bad, naughty Outlook! Oh, wicked, bad, naughty, EVIL Outlook!

At least it didn't start a email cascade of "Ummm... you did that wrong" and "Take me OFF this mailing list!!!11!!"
    Smile, or I'll smack you silly!
    At what age does a vampire become a crazy old bat? :[

Sometimes I think users believe in the 'Not me' and 'Ida know' ghosts from Family Circus. "I don't know how all those toolbars got installed, I didn't do it!" Riiiight.
    A fact of life: After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F.....

Comment

Quoth IT Grunt View Post
      Sometimes I think users believe in the 'Not me' and 'Ida know' ghosts from Family Circus. "I don't know how all those toolbars got installed, I didn't do it!" Riiiight.
      Well, given the way some programs sneak in toolbars and other intrusive programs it's not that far of a stretch .
      I AM the evil bastard!
      A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
        Well, given the way some programs sneak in toolbars and other intrusive programs it's not that far of a stretch .
        True, but this is usually wrapped around 'I didn't install anything!', which is my point, and I just used a general example. I've had to deal with screen savers, desktop gadgets, etc, and when asked where they came from it's always 'I don't know!'

Comment

I bet I know what happened. Instead of composing a new message and entering in the email address for HR, they opened up an old email from HR, deleted all of the text and changed the subject line. Then, instead of hitting "reply," they hit "reply all."
          Thank you for calling Card Services, how may I take your abuse today? ~Headset Hellion

Comment

Quoth IT Grunt View Post
            ... 'I don't know!'
            Was your head with you all day?
            [/Cos]
            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
              Was your head with you all day?
              [/Cos]
              If you do something you're not supposed to do and don't know why you did it, that's /brain damage!/ </Cos>

Comment

Quoth IT Grunt View Post
                True, but this is usually wrapped around 'I didn't install anything!', which is my point, and I just used a general example. I've had to deal with screen savers, desktop gadgets, etc, and when asked where they came from it's always 'I don't know!'
                oh man, our IT department at call center hell("self-taught" and proud of it, not a problem if you actually implement things like security, which he "didn't think was important to learn" for a company dealing with confidential information ) had fun when some co-irkers decided "OMG! You can download free* programs to change your cursor into cute little kittens!" After being instructed to never download ANYTHING! They tried to get me to join in the downloading frenzy because "it's just a program to change your cursor."

*loaded with malware
                Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
                  "it's just a program to change your cursor."
                  Ug, I HATE those things!

Nine times out of ten, when I get a call about a "slow computer" its those damn cursors or some coupon toolbar that's loaded a bunch of spyware that runs in the background.

The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                  "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                  Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth IT Grunt View Post
                    Not toolbars for me.

I am VERY careful about what I install on my PC. I take the time to actually READ all of the crap that the installation programs popup and not just clicky-click right on through especially these days when installing anything from Download dot com (sooooo much crap in "included/forced upon you" with their "installer program").

Having said that, back sometime in July or maybe August I somehow got drive-by-downloaded Sendori (look up my posts in Tech Help forum). It took me 2 or 3 months (until like the middle of October) to actually rid my PC of all of the crapware/barfware/malware/whateverware/forced page redirects/Paylock/etc. (I was really scared there for a while that I was going to be infected by some Cryto-lock ware).

AND yes I did NOT install this program/browser helper whose database was obviously corrupted and hijacked.

YEs I advocate using condoms when surfing the internet these days
                    I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                    -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
                      You stretch one each over your keyboard, mouse and monitor, right?

Or would one over the RJ45 plug on your network cable be more effective?

Do they have tinfoil condoms for wifi?
                      Last edited by dalesys; 12-28-2013, 11:56 AM.
                      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth vikingchyk View Post
                        "</s> Oh, wicked, bad, naughty Outlook! Oh, wicked, bad, naughty, EVIL Outlook!
                        "
                        Pokes her head in.
                        Holy Grail?
                        And don't you just love stupid people ?
                        "Hi, this is Silver. How may I lose my self respect in order to cater to your over- inflated ego today?" --- Silverrb

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
                          Which is extra funny since (as I'm sure you remember) "prophylactic" is fairly common nomenclature in PC security circles.

btw, did you do a disk image of your current HD so you can just nuke and copy if you get reinfected?

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
                            Which is extra funny since (as I'm sure you remember) "prophylactic" is fairly common nomenclature in PC security circles.

btw, did you do a disk image of your current HD so you can just nuke and copy if you get reinfected?
                            Not a whole disk image but as complete a back up as I can get with an external HDD. I have kept copies of all my installed programs install exe's and I have external copies of a lot of my stuff.

The down side of a one time image is that my stuff does change enough that I would have to update or redo the image

I have the original Win 7 install CDs (and hopefully the install partition does not get infected)
                            I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                            -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth SilverOrb View Post
                              Pokes her head in.
                              Holy Grail?
                              yes They must be spanked.
                              Smile, or I'll smack you silly!
                              At what age does a vampire become a crazy old bat? :[

Comment

Working...
                              X