Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baby shower for geeky guys (and girls)

A couple whom my husband and I are very close friends with have wanted kids ever since they got married several years ago. Unfortunately, due to medical reasons, the wife cannot have a baby so they have turned to adoption. They have spent the last 3+ years jumping through hoops with their adoption agency, taking classes, spending tens of thousands of dollars, getting certified, and waiting for the call that there is a baby in need of a home.

Two weeks ago, they got the call! And three days later, they brought home a beautiful baby girl!

My husband and I used to play D&D/Pathfinder with the father. He still plays various tabletop RPGs when he has time and has a couple of gaming groups (ours included) who he considers personal friends. His wife's friends and family are throwing her baby showers but they are all "traditional" showers that are geared toward women. So her husband asked me if I could throw a "shower" for him and his gamer friends, and I said I'd love to.

So, here's the deal. We're throwing him a baby "storm" (instead of a shower.) The invite list is mostly guys (there will be a few girls but they will all be geeky as well) and all gamers (both tabletop and video game.) It is going to be an "informal" event; the traditional etiquette for throwing a shower is going out the window and I'm basically just going to wing it (this was per the father's request.) I'm looking for any and all ideas that people might have: suggestions for food, games, decorations, etc. Anything and everything "geeky" is welcome. I have some ideas already for food:

Cut-out sugar cookies in the shape of d4s, d6s, and d20s
    Various foods from the Harry Potter series (I actually have the Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook to get recipes from)
    I'm familiar with these two sites: Gourmet Gaming and Snack or Die and will undoubtedly use some of the recipes/ideas from them, but if anyone knows of any other blogs/websites like these, I'd love the links

I'm more stuck on games. They need to be things that are fast, relatively easy, and playable by anyone without having to know any rules (in other words, I'm not going to break out a Pathfinder module here, as much as I'd like to.) I would also prefer if they weren't anything too...ridiculous or gross (like guess what kind of chocolate poop is in the diaper or anything.) Also bear in mind that the baby is already here, so no "guess the due date" or "guess the birth weight" types of games.

So, send me your best ideas for introducing my friend's baby to the world of geekdom!

Well, for a gift idea, there's always the Level 1 Human Onsie. I plan on getting one for my own kid someday. Game idea, maybe a trivia game based around the children in appropriate geeky endeavors (ie, which Skywalker twin is older, Luke or Leia; which Link was the youngest when he started his adventure). Or everyone gets a basic character sheet with stats and they have to come up with a backstory in 5 minutes. Best/most outrageous story wins.
    Last edited by jedimaster91; 09-16-2012, 12:25 PM. Reason: Fix URL tag
    I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

There are a lot of short card game type games like flux or back to the future you could try.

For decorations I wonder if you could make d20 shaped paper lanterns.

you could do geek trivia games.
      Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
      Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

Tons of Star Trek decorating ideas here
        http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_3lk9e0ng3w_e

https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
        Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
          Tons of Star Trek decorating ideas here
          http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_3lk9e0ng3w_e

not to mention, they have star trek scrabble. although personally i prefer regular myself.

but that's an idea - geek versions of regular board games.

and don't forget www.thinkgeek.com - stuff for the adults, and stuff for infants too.

and i just bought a set of mustache cookie cutters. so you can wear/eat mustaches as conversation starters!

Comment

Dunno if you'd be interested, since with shipping it can get kind of pricey, but I have these:

http://monkeydragon.deviantart.com/g...set=0#/d1lf5cb
            This is actually an older picture. The newer molds I have produce slightly sharper results.

PM me if you want to try to work something out.
            My webcomic is called Sidekick Girl. Val's job is kinda like retail, except instead of corporate's dumb policies, it's the Hero Agency, and the SC's are trying to take over the world.

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions. I really like the idea of geeky trivia games...not sure why I didn't think of that. And we have some card games that we can break out too.

Comment

infant troubleshooting flowchart(magnetic)
                Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Working...
                X