Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stay Put, do exciting things, no promotion...or move on?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stay Put, do exciting things, no promotion...or move on?

Ok, I've been at my current position for about three years. I started there as a Software Engineer 2. I'll admit I've made my share of mistakes along the way. Though previously there was no "set" criteria for "Here's how you get promoted".

The company is working on that.

Though I just had a one on one sitdown (and performance review) with my boss.

Essentially, I see where he's coming from, but he basically implied I won't be promoted for at least a year.

So I have a bit of a conundrum. I can stay put at my current level for another year, with a halfway-decent drive to/from work every day, with no promotion in sight, and potentially work on cool stuff...

Or I can try to get more money, and face a possibly longer, less pleasant daily commute.

I've got a friend that I could ask about this, who I trust. I know what he'd say. He'd say, "It's up to you, but I know what I'd do..."

So what say you? I've been wanting to learn and work on cool new stuff, but I don't want to necessarily stay SE2 for another year, either...
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

There are two things that come to mind when I have to make a big choice like this. First, "If it ain't broke don't fix it", and second, the only things you really regret in life are the things you didn't do. Everything else works out one way or another. If you're happy where you are, then why bother changing things up? But if you think you'd regret not taking another job, then that's your choice.
    The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
      Or I can try to get more money, and face a possibly longer, less pleasant daily commute.
      You will not know what the commute will be until you get a job offer. You won't get a job offer until you start looking.

This is for everyone. My opinion is that after three years at a job, you need to start casually looking for a new job. If for no other reason that to verify that you are being paid what you are worth. You won't know if there is something better out there until you look. FoodLady recently proved that to us.

Get out there. Start browsing ads. Go job hunting!

And good luck!
      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
      Save the Ales!
      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
        You will not know what the commute will be until you get a job offer. You won't get a job offer until you start looking.

This is for everyone. My opinion is that after three years at a job, you need to start casually looking for a new job. If for no other reason that to verify that you are being paid what you are worth. You won't know if there is something better out there until you look. FoodLady recently proved that to us.

Get out there. Start browsing ads. Go job hunting!

And good luck!
        Well, based on research I've done, I'm fairly certain I'm underpaid by at least about $15K. I've been at this position about three years.

That said, I live about 30 miles outside of the major metro area where I work. It already takes me 40 minutes (on a good day) to drive into the office. A lot of the positions I've seen are north of that, probably another 8-10 miles, on congested freeways.

I've actually been at this position about three years. But given my recent surgery, and my overall family situation, I'd need a position with some flexibility, and possibly a remote option one or two days a week.

I even did send out a couple of resumes today, just to see what happens...
        Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Working...
        X