This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Dumbest Moment While Cleaning Up Fast Food Dining Room

Got reminded of this from another thread.

This one is about 20 years old. Working in fast food (see my thread "My Time Under The Arches"), I was cleaning the dining room, as I did every day (since I was 15 at the time, and you had to be 16 to run a cash register), when I saw something unusual happen.

Two girls sitting at a table, talking amongst themselves, and one of them has her purse hanging off the back of the chair. Two guys sitting at the table next to them, and one of them reaches over and takes her purse.

My first thought was that this had to be a practical joke amongst friends. Remember, I was in high school, and this sort of joke would have been quite acceptable to this mindset at this time. However, I kept on watching, to make sure she got her purse back.

About 5 minutes later, the thief got up, and walked out with her purse under his jacket.

That was when I was stupid, especially since I was a scrawny geek who could get his ass kicked by pretty much everybody else in the class. I went outside, caught up with the guy, and demanded the purse back. Surprisingly, he actually gave it to me, he went off, and I returned the purse, along with an explanation of what had happened that I was returning her purse.

No, I didn't call the cops. I think it's pretty obvious that I was thinking about as clearly as mud. Didn't even report it to the managers. And I have no idea why I didn't get my ass kicked (or worse) that day.

Since you now know that what you did was ill-advised, all I can do is commend you on your bravery and honesty. There are so many people your age (and even older) who would have watched and did nothing. Good going!

Someone give this man a bunch-o-cookies.
    This isn't an office. It's Hell with fluorescent lighting.

Comment

Wow. How did you DARE?
      Unseen but seeing
      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
      3rd shift needs love, too
      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

As I said, I wasn't really thinking. If I'd seen the "DOH moments" thread, I think this would have gone under there. Although, honestly, a single "DOH!" doesn't quite seem to cut it, does it?

Comment

Wow, that's crazy that he just handed the purse over like that. Maybe he thought somebody inside was already calling the cops or something, and didn't realize you were the only one who knew what happened. What did the girl say when you returned it? If that was me I would have told the manager or written the store or something to tell them what an awesome employee they had. That's kind of what happens when adrenaline takes over and you just act.

Comment

Working...
          X