X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Soulstealer View Post
    Quoth BeckySunshine
    Ya know, there's a book by Bob Uecker with that title. So I've heard, anyway. Can't find it anywhere, though.
    That's where the phrase comes from.
    If I recall correctly, the phrase "Catch-22" actually stems from the title of a book by author Joseph Heller. His first choice of title was "Catch-18," but his publisher thought that it was too close to the title of a then-recently-published book by Leon Uris, titled "Mila-18," so he changed it.

Here we go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catch-22

Sorry for the momentary diversion. (crawls back into hole)
    Last edited by AdamAnt316; 09-22-2007, 06:40 AM. Reason: Added apology
    Goofy music!
    Old tech junk!

Comment

Quoth AdamAnt316 View Post
      If I recall correctly, the phrase "Catch-22" actually stems from the title of a book by author Joseph Heller. His first choice of title was "Catch-18," but his publisher thought that it was too close to the title of a then-recently-published book by Leon Uris, titled "Mila-18," so he changed it.

Here we go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catch-22

Sorry for the momentary diversion. (crawls back into hole)
      You recall correctly. I imagine that's where Uecker got it from...
      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth Boozy View Post
        He wears the same wine-stained holey wife-beater with these very nice pants every day. We can't figure out why he doesn't spend his time and money to buy a couple of new shirts.
        It's his Lucky wine-stained holey wife-beater.
        "Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings"-Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Quoth Gravekeeper View Post
          ( Update: Jim did indeed break the $1000 mark in pants. )
          Maybe he's part of some kind of international pants ring? Or perhaps he doesn't wash his clothes, he throws them out. Or he's preparing for some kind of global pants-shortage.

"Hi, I'd like a goat on my roof."
          Is that like an urban version of a Mountain Goat?

Me: "Alright, what can I do for you?"
          SC: "I don't know."
          I don't know why, but I find this incredibly humourous.

There were actually 4 of course. But I am bitter and passive aggressive.
          *shrug* He deserved it. Going to jail and getting ass-raped by a big, hairy, drunk lumberjack will teach him a thing or two about trying to catch a free ride.

SC: "Imma call the FBI and get whomever I need to get on this!"
          I've never been reported to the FBI. I usually get the Better Business Bureau, someone's Attorney General, or (most often) their local news channel. I love those. I'm always tempted to ask them to send me a tape. "Our top story tonight, some jackass gets a big bill for going over the clearly outlined minutes included in his plan, and is charged the clearly stated amount per minute and feels he is being mistreated. We now bring you our exclusive investigative report: The End of Accountability in America."

Mr Death to America has been calling this week looking specifically for me.
          Have you had a chance to tell him you kick it that way yet?
          "You are loved" - Plaidman.

Comment

A mountain goat on a nicely slope'd roof will be quite at home.
            -thus quoteth Martha Stewart
            "I call murder on that!"

Comment

*suddenly shakes with the fear of thinking she might need to learn how to speak british*
              BUT BUT I JUST BARLEY LEARNED WHAT TWIG MEANS!!!!!

Comment

You want what?

Is it strange that this doesn't seem at all odd to me? There's a restaurant somewhere in the Midwest, I believe in/near Door County, WI, that actually has grass growing on the roof, and several goats who hang out up there and eat said grass. I used to love it when I was younger, and they always had the best Swedish pancakes and lingonberries.
                "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

In the US, using the telephone to make threats (like threatening someone and their children no matter if said children exist or not) is a pretty serious matter. Does Canada not have a similar law? Humorous as Mr. DtA may be, he seems like someone who should be monitored closely and not left in the wild.
                  "You know, there are times when it's a source of personal pride not to be human." - Hobbes

Comment

Quoth CancelMyService View Post
                    Humorous as Mr. DtA may be, he seems like someone who should be monitored closely and not left in the wild.
                    Not taking away from your valid point but the "not left in the wild" thing struck me as oddly funny and I had to do this:

"Today, on Customers in the Wild-the deaththreatus- asshatus- or Mr. DtA as he is commonly known. This seemingly untameable creature lurks in Canada, and spends his life calling call centers, making various death threats to the United States, using his limited vocabulary- consisting mainly of "F" 'Death' and 'narco-terrorists' and 'csucker'- or any form there of- and various other profanitys. His main rival is the quick-witted Gravekeeper, with his calm demeanor and his Awesome Waffle Cones of Awesomeness. All hope is that Mr DtA will eventually be taken down by Gravekeeper's sheer brilliant wit or work himself into enough of a freenzy that the men in white coats will be called in to drag him away"

Okay- i'm done now.
                    Last edited by jigshoes86; 09-24-2007, 02:22 PM. Reason: oops-keyboard slip
                    Yes- I'm the supervisor today
                    Yes I'm young
                    Get Over It.....and have a nice day

Comment

Quoth CancelMyService View Post
                      In the US, using the telephone to make threats (like threatening someone and their children no matter if said children exist or not) is a pretty serious matter. Does Canada not have a similar law? Humorous as Mr. DtA may be, he seems like someone who should be monitored closely and not left in the wild.
                      We do. Plus he's calling a US government organization. So like I said I could have the feds on his doorstep in a heartbeat if I wanted too. But he's been crank calling the same thing for years and we have a certain...I guess you could say lunatic tolerance level....for those accounts. A lot of crazies call them just because they're US organizations.

That being said there is a magic phrase that will get you Gitmo'd. Making a specific threat against an American person, place, organization or US interest abroad. Do that and you *will* get the feds on you. No matter what I think of it, even if I think you're prank calling or just nuts/drunk, I'm forced to make a phone call once you do one of the above. The second he says "I'm going to kill x" rather then "Death to x" he's in a world of unhappiness.

It didn't use to be like that but as the White House's raging hard on for "terrorism" has only grown year after year we keep getting more "suspicious activity" things we have to consider threats to America. <sigh>

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                        You recall correctly. I imagine that's where Uecker got it from...
                        Yeah. Something like that, I guess.

His OTHER book, which I have at least one copy of, is titled "Catcher in the Wry". Punny.
                        Unseen but seeing
                        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                        3rd shift needs love, too
                        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

....er, hmmm....you know the worst part about this is your completely serious. I suppose I can *try* to arrange that.
                          Now now, GK, I think you are a little off here. Didn't you know about the fashionable trend to having a goat on your roof?

What, you think I am joking?

Well, let's take a look at this trend.

You can buy a cuckoo clock with a billy goat on the roof from this company, and apparently other clock companies as well.

Okay, okay, that's carved wood, but here we have an actual goat on an actual roof.

And it is not just the amateur tourist snapping such pictures. Here we have a different picture of a COUPLE of goats on a roof in a professional photographer's portfolio!

And the roof goat thing is not just for shutterbugs, either. Why, now even kids can get in on it with the Parker Brothers game "Hey Pa! There's a Goat on the Roof!" I love when I don't even have to make up this kind of material!

And you don't have to limit your roof goats to the living room! Why dine under the stars when you can dine under a roof with live goats on it? Somewhere in Sweden there is this restaurant with a grass-thached roof, and they keep goats to trim the roof and keep it looking pretty.

And it's not just the wacky Euros or us crazy Americans that are jumping on the roof goat bandwagon, GK. Why, even up in Canada they are getting in on the act. Somewhere in your great country there is this general store with a goat on the roof. Hard to tell from the picture if it is real or fake, but I like to give these people the benefit of the doubt.

But even if they are faking it at the above store, apparently in Coombs, a community right in your very own province of British Columbia, they have not one but multiple buildings with grass-thatched roofs and of course the now ubiquitous goats on them.

This trend has gotten so widespread that a Canadian author felt the call to pen the (according to reviews) inspiring book "There's a Goat on My Roof."

Quoth myswtghst View Post
                          There's a restaurant somewhere in the Midwest, I believe in/near Door County, WI, that actually has grass growing on the roof, and several goats who hang out up there and eat said grass.
                          You're right. It's not just the Swedes bringing us goatroofed cuisine. Why, right here in the US you can go dine at Al Johnson’s Swedish Restaurant in Sister Bay, Wisconsin, which is, as myswtghst thought, in Door County.

And here you thought your caller was nuts, loony, or just drugged out GK. No, he was just following the herd with the latest trend.

I wonder if the apartment complex would object to my installing a grass roof for my new pet goat.....?

Quoth Jadedcarguy View Post
                          While he was getting his ass beat, do you think he squealed "But that dude said you weren't here!"?
                          Criminals can be very stupid. For example, when the BTK killer resurfaced a few years ago and started communicating with police, at one point he asked in one of his communicades if a floppy disk could be traced. The cops, in the agreed upon classifieds ad response method, assured him that it could be not. He sent them his next communicade on a floppy disk, they of course traced it to his church's computer, all the pieces fell into place, and they arrested him.

When being interrogated, Dennis Rader actually asked one of the lead investigators about the disk thing. "Why did you lie to me?" Even if the technology he was using was not all that familiar to Rader, the response he got to that question should have been obvious:

"Because I was trying to catch you."

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                          Still A Customer."

Comment

Jester:

........I must have that board game.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                              And it's not just the wacky Euros or us crazy Americans that are jumping on the roof goat bandwagon, GK. Why, even up in Canada they are getting in on the act. Somewhere in your great country there is this general store with a goat on the roof. Hard to tell from the picture if it is real or fake, but I like to give these people the benefit of the doubt.
                              I can tell you, with absolute certainty, that the goat on the roof is indeed a live goat. If you check the picture, you can see fellow goat brethren off to the left, as well as the framing around the ramp that the goats use to get to the roof.

^-.-^
                              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Jester:

........I must have that board game.
                                "Use the net, Luke. Use the net."

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                                Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                                X