This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The curtain has fallen on my days as a call center peon

I officially threw in the towel at my call center job today after going on medical leave five weeks ago. The insane amount of stress I was under finally affected my physical health to the point where I actually took myself to the hospital and then a week later to my regular doctor.

I admitted to my doctor that I hadn't been properly managing my diabetes in months due to the elevated anxiety and depression cycle I'd gotten trapped because of the stress level from my job. And this, of course, led to a raft of other health issues hitting me in the face all at once. My doctor decided that it would be a good idea for me to be off work for a while so I could 1) get my diabetes back under control, and 2) see if all I needed was a break from the job to help get my anxiety and depression back under control as well.

Well, when the very thought of returning to the call center job was enough to cause a series of severe panic attacks, I knew the writing was on the wall. I knew early on that I would likely not be able to return to the call center, so I set out to look for another job.

I found that other job last week and have been working as a housekeeper in one of the fancy hotels here in town. It's damn hard work, but there is nowhere near the amount of stress I'd been dealing with while at the call center! And it pays more, which is always a bonus. Plus I don't have to worry about my pay being docked for every minute I'm in the bathroom anymore so I'll actually get a full paycheque for a change!

I've worked at a lot of call centers over the years, but this last one took the cake. Because nothing was ever put into writing nobody was on the same page about what we were supposed to be doing - if one manager told you to do something a certain way, another would tell you to do the thing a different way, and if you questioned the first manager about it you'd be told to just do your job...even though you now have no idea just want you're supposed to be doing, and don't have the actually authority to DO your job either! And with nothing in writing we had no way to back up anything we'd been told previously...and things also changed depending on who you were buddies with in management.

So, after entirely too much bullshit causing my mental health to tank, which then caused my physical health to tank, I finally listened to my body and quit the job that was the cause of so much grief.

Thankfully there was no exit interview because I can guarantee that upper management would not have liked what I would have said about the company. And, surprisingly enough, my complaints weren't with the client expectations either (unlike so many of my previous call center jobs), but entirely with management all the way up to the top of the site. But now I don't have to deal with it and I will NEVER go back, regardless of how desperate I get because my doctor will put me off on disability if it gets to the point where going back to call center work is my only option.

I'm glad you were able to move on to something -- ANYTHING else -- after that experience. May your future SC's all be tame enough to make you think, "Well, I've had far worse ones than this at the call center" ^_^
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I'm glad you're out. I couldn't stand inbound calls anymore and was being courted by other companies I wasn't sure about when they put me on a project. It's turned into a department and I'm still there. I'm technically in a call center but I don't have to worry about getting in trouble for going to the bathroom or leaving my desk or really anything much. I have metrics but I'm not chained to my phone and none of my customers yell at me. If it was the same as it was over in the customer service department which sounds so much like what you have described, I'd have lost my mind already. I would not recommend call center to anyone unless I knew they had a chance to move on from being constantly on the phone. It's way more stressful than it ever needs to be.
      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Today I was talking to one of the team leads from the call center, and she applauded me on getting my ass out of there. It keeps getting worse and worse there, and they cannot hire new people fast enough to replace those who are leaving, and all the team leads (her included) are looking for something else.

For a site that was supposed to have at least 500 employees by now, they are falling very far short of that number. Within the first three months of me working there I had predicted that they would be lucky if they made it a year in operation at this particular site, and it looks like I may be right. I was in the third group of people trained when the site initially opened, and of the first three classes there are only seven out of 60 people left. The fourth class pretty much quit en masse about three days after they hit the call floor, and it just hasn't gotten much better.

And that is even with a change of client. Yes, the original client was difficult to deal with because we were certain that the tools they used to track some of our metrics were skewed to essentially screw us over, but they were a walk in the park compared to the client they have now. But it's still not the client's fault that the call center is tanking - it's primarily on management's head that things are going so badly. I'd worked for the client in the past so I knew what to expect from them, which then meant that I knew full well that it was management making a complete mess of things. Mainly upper management dumping a lot of stuff on lower management and making it impossible for them to do their jobs, and also giving each of them different information concerning rules and policies. Which then leads to lower management not being able to provide the agents the correct information either. Total clusterfuck, and not one I could handle being a part of for any longer.

So, I'm going to be sitting back and watching how long the place lasts. I do know that two of their sites in another province barely hit the one year mark of being open before they suddenly closed shop, and I fully expect that to happen this time as well. At least those folks who are still trying to hold on will be eligible for EI so they'll have some funds coming in for a bit.

Comment

After all the expense to set these places up, furniture, phones, lines, etc., you'd think that they'd take better care of them.

Unless, of course, they're supposed to lose money.

Comment

Sorry what, docked pay for necessary bodily functions?! Labour board!
            This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
            I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
              Sorry what, docked pay for necessary bodily functions?! Labour board!
              Exactly. I refuse to accept that one can get in trouble or lose pay for something that has to be done several times a day! I go to the bathroom whenever I need to and if it makes my "adherence" off I don't give a damn.
              https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
              Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
                Exactly. I refuse to accept that one can get in trouble or lose pay for something that has to be done several times a day! I go to the bathroom whenever I need to and if it makes my "adherence" off I don't give a damn.
                This is essentially what I told both my immediate manager and the site director, that no company can dictate when we can and can't use the bathroom. Especially in situations where we have documented medical reasons for why we may use the bathroom more than the expected minimum. Yet I would consistently be dinged for my bathroom time. Not long before I left there management tried to say that agents were expected to only have five minutes of bathroom time outside of our breaks and lunches, and consistent excess usage outside of this could and would result in being written up for schedule adherence issues and eventual termination. I made a huge stink about this illegal policy while out on the call floor, and even went upside of each team leader that tried to enforce this crap.

One manager tried to tell me I was wrong so I pulled up the provincial labour information on my work computer so I could point out the information. The very next day the website was locked out. It was just another bit of proof that showed that upper management didn't want their employees to know about and insist upon their rights as employees.

Comment

locked out huh? how convenient. Surely HR has something to say.
                  https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                  Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Working...
                  X