This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
    I walk by and see a mom GIVE some strung wooden beads (the size of marbles) to a BABY to gnaw on. I immediately go over and say something about how that's not safe and a serious choking hazard. And she's all "oh, it's fine..." and I was not real pleasant and told her to give those beads to me right now. Yeah, she did and stormed off. I didn't get in trouble, but I fear for that poor kid.
    AAARRRGGGHHH!!! Why do these parents do that? WHY?!

Yes, it happened to me, too. And I don't get it. It's not that difficult to bring a child's teething toy with you when you go out; I always did when my son was a teething baby. You don't grab some dusty, potentially dangerous bit of unpaid merchandise off a store shelf and give it to the kid to gnaw on!

God help us, people are so bloody stupid these days. The Prophecy is coming true sooner than we feared!
    Last edited by XCashier; 07-28-2014, 02:41 PM.
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Not only is it hazardous for the baby, but he's also DESTROYING MERCHANDISE in the process. Why can't parents bring something from HOME for their babies to gnaw on while they shop?

Comment

MJ - Because they would have to PAY to replace them ~_~ If they get away with that in stores unseen, they can just put the nasty, damaged items back on some random shelf...for free....
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

My brother and I were reminiscing last night and he reminded me of this gem. Can't believe I'd forgotten it! And it involves a misbehaving child so it should fit here.

Way back in the late 80's we took a road trip, a long one about 6 states away. The trip out was fine, but coming back...

It was summer and the hotel room's a/c was broken. Refused to move us, refused to refund our money. We stayed but left around 5am, disputed the charge with our credit card company and got about 80% of our money refunded.

Well, we decided to try and get home that night even though it would mean a marathon drive. I drove while brother slept until about 1pm when we stopped for gas and lunch (my brother would take over then and I'd get some sleep). I didn't want fast food so we found a chain restaurant (not Denny's or Bob's Big Boy but something similar).

Walked in and the place was about 2/3's full. No one seats us so finally we walk over to a table and sit down. I grab a couple of menus as we want to eat and get back on the road ASAP.

About 10 minutes later no one's come by our table although I swear every waitress had walked by at least twice. But the worst is some 4-5 y.o. brat who's screaming at the top of his lungs and running amok all over the place.

I finally get up and ask for the manager. He finally comes over and I ask him if we're going to get served anytime soon. Then I ask him if he's going to do something about the brat before he hurts himself. The guy looks at me like I've got three heads and says he sees no problems. I walk back over and have a quick talk with my brother; we decide enough's enough and we're leaving. All of a sudden Manager is demanding we pay. Pay? Pay for what? There's nothing on our table, not even water glasses! He threatens to call the cops, we say 'go ahead'. But the inevitable happens. Brat runs headlong into a waitress carrying a large tray of food. Tray falls on brat's head and some hot coffee hits him, now he's really got something to scream about! Then two tables of adults and older kids (about 11-12 of them) who have done nothing up until this point get up and are livid at what happened. Half are screaming for a doctor and the other half are screaming about a lawsuit.

My brother and I are walking out the door when the manager storms out demanding our names as witnesses. I just tell him I warned him this was going to happen and he ignored me. We were _not_ going to get involved now and we sure as hell weren't about to stick around and that was that. He got our license tag but as we were like 3 states away we never heard anything about this. I know the police wouldn't give out our names anyway.

We both figure the 'family' got all their meals comped as compensation. Then figure the cost of the destroyed meals and the fact that those customers almost certainly got their replacements comped as well. We figure this could easily run US$150 and that was the mid 80's!

And all this could have been avoided if the manager had, I don't know, actually _managed_?

Comment

Working...
          X