This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cashback cretin

First, a little background. At the petrol station, we do not give out cashback. We never have given it out. The reason why we don't do cashback is cuz we don't have a cash bullion on site to raid for more cash when the tills run dry, therefore, we don't do cashback.

"I want twenty pounds cashback."

"We don't do cashback."

"Why? You used to do cashback."

"We have never done cashback."

"I came here last week and got cashback".

"We don't do cashback here."

Eventually, the message seemed to finally filter thru the sawdust within his skull and he said, "Well, you should do cashback. Everyone else does."

No, everyone else doesn't do cashback. I can think of about five shops off the top of my head who don't. Besides, I already explained to him why we can't do cashback, but I don't think he understood, given that he obviously was as thick as two short planks.

Oh yeah, and guess what? This guy drove in! UK motorists, live in fear...
    People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
    My DeviantArt.

Reminds me of the time when this guy argued with me until he was blue in the face, insisting that we had NEVER had a £5 limit on cards. He kept trying to use his card, and I kept telling him it wasn't possible. He told me that I must be lying because he could use his card for a £1 purchase just the other week. I told him that I had been working there for three years and that we have ALWAYS had a £5 limit on cards. He just would NOT get the message. He ended up storming off without buying a thing.

Comment

I've been asked for cashback at the station - I know of no stations that do cashback. Then they asked for our cashpoint. I guided them to the nearest, just 100 yards up the road. They pitched a fit because there wasn't one actually on the station, despite there being no room for one. Like I care I mean, the company would love to have one, we'd earn a packet from the installing bank! But, there's really no room at the inn...
      This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
      I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

And this is why i always *ask* (gasp!) if a place does cashback. So simple....sigh.

When I worked at Shmesco supermarket part of your "script" was to ask if customers wanted cashback with every transaction.

Then one day they stopped us doing it.

The number of snotty customers who would get to the end of their transaction and then sniff "You didn't ask if I wanted cashback" was downright silly. It was obvious tht they knew that they wanted cashback, but were waiting for me to ask rather than speak up themselves.

I can only assume they did it so they could have something to grumble about.

Took the wind out of their sails when I explained that we no longer had to ask.

Oh, and remind me some time to tell you about the cashback customer who tried to get me fired for saying he was a nazi.

Comment

so... tell us the story about the cashback customer who tried to get you fired for saying he was a nazi..

Comment

"Oh, and remind me some time to tell you about the cashback customer who tried to get me fired for saying he was a nazi. "

Damn, don't tease us like that! Please tell us!

Comment

Give GP some time

But yeah, no teasing, please, unless you plan to follow through. Spill.
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Lmao, fair enough, as demanded:

This happened at Shmesco too. Policy stated that if you did cashback you would initial the receipt as you handed over the cash to confirm the cash had actually been given out.

One day an older man with a thick german accent came through my checkout and asked for £20 cashback.

Ok, complete transaction, enter cashback amount, drawer opens, hand over cash, initial cashback.

"there we go Sir, have a good day."

The customer looked at his receipt and exploded.

"How dare you! Disgusting bitch, I had nothing to do with that! I was only a young child! Get me a manager!" etc. etc.

I don't remember his exact words as it was a few years back now, but he was livid, I tried apologising but he wouldn't let me get a single word in.

I called a manager and they took him back to an office to get it sorted out.

I was called up a few minutes later and asked to go and get my clock-in card, which had my full name on it, the manager covered up most of my surname with a bit of tape and took it back to the guy.

About five minutes later he stormed past me and out of the store with his face flaming red.

My manager came back out of the room.

"Don't worry about it. He saw your initials on the cashback and thought you were calling him a nazi. He wanted me to fire you. I showed him your card and he realised he was being an ass. Go have a 15 minute break."

My initials? SS

Comment

Take things personal much

Quoth Golden Phoenix View Post
                  "Don't worry about it. He saw your initials on the cashback and thought you were calling him a nazi. He wanted me to fire you. I showed him your card and he realised he was being an ass. Go have a 15 minute break."

My initials? SS
                  To this guy everything in the world must revolve himself.

Why would he think you signing a piece of paper must be a direct comment about himself?

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
                    To this guy everything in the world must revolve himself.

Why would he think you signing a piece of paper must be a direct comment about himself?
                    I wonder if he reacts that way with anyone whose initials are SS.

Seriously, my Mom's initials when she was married to my dad were SS. And she used to wear those stick on initials on her eyeglass frames (they were popular in the late 70's/early 80's.) I don't recall anyone getting bent out of shape over that . . .

Methinks he protests too much.
                    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

I wonder if this guy storms out of the theater when he sees a movie directed by Steven Spielberg or Steven Soderbergh...

Comment

I'll wager that, were he in the States, he'd complain about Social Security!
                        I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

We tell people where the nearest cashpoints are after informing them that we don't do cashback. I've had SCs screech, "I'm not walking that far!" or "I haven't time for that!" What, to walk two minutes down the road? What a busy life you lead.
                          People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                          My DeviantArt.

Comment

I believe the guy refused to beleive that it was policy to initial receipts, and until presented with evidence had simply decided that me writing SS on there was me having a personal dig at him.

Because yeah, if i'm going to insult someone i'm going to do it in a super oblique way that would cost me my job and barely makes sense even if i *was* insulting him.

Comment

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
                              I wonder if this guy storms out of the theater when he sees a movie directed by Steven Spielberg or Steven Soderbergh...
                              Or a musical by Stephen Sondheim... sigh...
                              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                              My LiveJournal
                              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Working...
                              X