This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bureaucratic Nonsense (longish)

This had me mad enough to yell to myself about it, so I figured I should try to put a little distance between me and crazy and share it with y'all instead.

This is a combination of a sucky bureaucracy, a brusque employee of said bureaucracy enforcing sucky policies, and a slight self-sighting.

As some of you know, I now have two kids. Baby Shirts was born late September. For this story, let's say that the middle name that Mrs. Shirts and I picked for her is Bernadette.

At the hospital, Mrs. Shirts filled out the Social Security form. I filled out the birth certificate form. We were both careful to spell out our daughter's name just as we wanted it, using all capital letters so it would be easy to read. Someone on the hospital staff made a mistake when submitting our requests (which they do electronically) and left off the second T in the baby's middle name.

I was a bit confused when the birth certificate and the social security card--issued by completely different organizations--both had the same error. I contacted the county's Vital Statistics office about the birth certificate. They contacted the hospital, confirmed the error, and had me send back the incorrect certificate so they could send a corrected one. Easy. I then emailed the Social Security Administration (though I had to wait until the government shutdown thing ended). The email I got back told me that I needed to bring the corrected birth certificate, the incorrect SS card, and my ID to the local SS office to get a correction. They're only open 9AM - 3PM weekdays, so that would be a challenge, but I figured I could handle it.

Friday, I left work right after lunch. It was a slow day, so I could get away. I had checked the SS website. I printed and filled out the application form that was required. I gathered the three documents the email told me to bring. From what I read online, that was all I needed.

Some of you can now guess where this is going.

I got to the SS office. I took a number. I waited for about 90 minutes in a boring room with other restless people. I listened to the PA announcements.

"Number S334 to window 5."
    "Number S335 to window 1. Please remember to have your ID out and ready when your number is called."
    -- I check. I have my ID. I'm good. --
    "Number S336 to window 2."
    "Number S337 to window 5."
    "Number S338 to window 7. When applying for a social security card for any reason, you must fill out the application form. Forms are available on the table near the entrance. Please have the application completed and ready when your number is called."
    -- I check. I have the form. It's all filled out. I'm good. --
    "Number S339 to window 4."
    "Number S340 to window 7...
    -- That's me. I get my stuff. I go to window 7. As I sit down, the guy finishes his PA announcement. --
    ...If you are applying for a social security card for a minor, a birth certificate is not a valid form of identification."

The first words out of my mouth, with an expression of utter disbelief on my face:
    "A birth certificate is not a valid form of identification? Really?"

So the guy kind of explains. He's impatient and impersonal. He pretty much brushes off all of my comments.

First he tells me that he can't help unless I have valid ID for my daughter.
    Me: "She's not even two months old! What ID is she going to have other than her birth certificate?"

Then he tells me that, in order to correct the misspelling on her social security card, I have to get a letter from her doctor, on clinic letterhead, detailing the correct spelling and the reason that the card needs to be replaced.
    Me: "Right, because it's the doctor who decides the correct spelling of a person's name; not the parents."

I ask if I can get the letter and send everything in by mail or something.
    Him: "Yes, but you will need to send the original birth certificate and your original ID. We can't take copies. We'd mail them all back in 3-4 weeks."
    Me: "Well, that won't work. I'd be driving around without a license for a month. Sounds like a bad idea to me."
    Him: "Just take your passport with you when you drive. You have one, right?"
    Me: "No, I don't." (He rolls his eyes at this, like I just said I don't have indoor plumbing.) And a passport is not the same as a driver's license anyway."

Then he tells me the """"good news."""" According to him, a person's middle name "doesn't matter." On the social security card, I could spell it Bernadette or Bernadete or Brnadet or Burn A Debt or just B, and it would be fine.
    Him: "If anyone checks her ID in the future and notices that the SS card and birth certificate don't match on the middle name, nothing bad will happen. They only look at first and last name. So it doesn't matter."
    Me: "For one thing, that's not a risk I'm willing to take. For another thing..." (I gather my stuff and stand up.) "...It matters to me!"

And I walk out. I got a list of the accepted forms of ID for a minor. I intend to get at least one of everything on that list when I go in again.

All I want is another T!
    I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
    - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
    - IPF

It might not matter to the SSN system, (I cry BS!), but it does matter elsewhere.

I have a middle name like Elaine.. only without the farking "I". I had an issue with a card, due to it having the "I" and my ID, being correct, not having the "I." So, couldn't use it until I got a new one... just wish I could remember which card it was at this point. I think either my health insurance or an off the wall credit/debit card? What ticks me off, is I spelled it correctly on the form, but they just read the Ela and assumed the "I".
    If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

And that snark needs to get checked. After all, the SS bureaucracy has already made one mistake, misinforming you of the prerequisites, who's to say they aren't making another telling you "it doesn't matter?"

Yeah, not trusting YOU guys no more. I'm bringing everything I can lay my hands on.

(And I totally read all the "Number S334 to window 5." announcements in the TheWhiteZoneIsForLoadingAndUnloading woman's voice.

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
        (And I totally read all the "Number S334 to window 5." announcements in the TheWhiteZoneIsForLoadingAndUnloading woman's voice.
        The Red Zone is for loading and unloading of passengers only. There is no parking in the Red Zone.
        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
          The Red Zone is for loading and unloading of passengers only. There is no parking in the Red Zone.
          No. The red zone has always been for loading and unloading of passengers. There's never stopping in a white zone.
          It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Listen Pagan. Don't start up with your white zone shit again!

(Been a while, may have muffed it.)

Comment

And I thought Nevada DMV was bad... with the DOMA repeal they have to recognize a CA marriage license... but they won't recognize a name change for a male couple married in CA because Nevada law only allows women to change their name with marriage... but the clerk was oh so helpful with my name change for hyphenated last name, because I was changing my name in the order that a proper lady should and if I hate being a man so much that I will lower myself to the customs of a lady, then he can take pity on me and update the license, but my husband would have to come back with a court order before he'd accept it.
              If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

The requirements on the OK SS website are wrong - Because when we had to go through all of this, we did everything we thought was correct only to find out that the website was wrong, they had no intention of fixing it.
                https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

When my niece was born someone at the Social Security office sent her card out under the name of Lydig. I still wonder what they were thinking when they sent that out.

Comment

When I was born the hospital asked my dad how my name was spelled for the birth certificate as my mom was still out under the aneasthia from the c section. My dad being a crap speller, gave them the wrong spelling for my first name and that was what was put on the birth certificate. Even after mom woke up, they wouldn't change it. So that's how my name has been spelled my entire life. You can bet when my brothers were born, mom made sure the hospital had the correct names before the birth in case it ever happened again.

Comment

Quoth TawnyMyst View Post
                      ... asked my dad how my name was spelled ...
                      Magrat, Thomas Note Spelling & James Note Spelling Smith.
                      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

My sister and her husband had something similar happen with their oldest daughter - can't remember if it was with her birth or baptism certificate, but let's say they named her "Joanne", and whatever record was incorrect had her listed as "Joanna".

Comment

Mine almost got changed to Amber Lynne cause the nurse thought that was prettier then Amber Joy.

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
                            Mine almost got changed to Amber Lynne cause the nurse thought that was prettier then Amber Joy.
                            WTF? How does the nurse think she has the right to overrule the parents' choice of name for a child?
                            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

This was the same nurse who tried bringing Mom the wrong baby to nurse three times. I was in the neo natal unit (12 weeks early) and here she was bringing healthy 8-15 lb babies and insisting it was nursing time.

Comment

Working...
                              X