This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Merriweather View Post
    I remember all of us being freaked out by one called "Let's Scare Jessica to Death" - watched it on cable a while back, and it seems to have lost a bit with age Some of the old ones, Hitchcock and others as well, were good about having you sitting there holding your breath, you just knew the terrible thing was about to happen - then it didn't. Psych. The really good ones are like riding a roller coaster.
    Just wish I could remember a few more good titles, sorry.
    OMG - I remember "Let's Scare Jessica to Death"! I loved that movie. And someone else mentioned "Stir of Echoes" which I thought was really well done also.

I have to laugh because (and I know I'm dating myself here) but when I was a kid there were a series of short movies that starred Karen Black called Trilogy of Terror. I was completely and utterly freaked out by the Devil Doll movie and could not sleep for weeks and weeks after I caught it on Chiller theater. I had this doll that used to stare at me in my room that I was convinced was possessed and was going to kill me in my sleep and this movie did NOT help that at all.

When I saw Poltergeist and the scene where the kid keeps throwing a blanket over his clown doll because it's freaking him out? Yeah, that was me.

The funny thing is, I got the Trilogy of Terror on DVD and I was watching it with now 10 year old DD. Who was looking at me cockeyed and saying "THAT movie scared you? Seriously? WHY?"

I will admit, it's cheesy now. But back then it freaked me out.

And no one, so far, has yet mentioned the Holy Grail of scary movies yet (at least to me): Night of the Living Dead, 60's version. I love that movie. Yes, it's dated and black and white but it's such a classic. DD watched that one with me and also thought I was nuts.
    Last edited by MamaMootz; 08-22-2012, 11:50 PM.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not even sure about the universe.
    --attributed to Albert Einstein

Comment

Quoth MamaMootz View Post
      And no one, so far, has yet mentioned the Holy Grail of scary movies yet (at least to me): Night of the Living Dead, 60's version. I love that movie. Yes, it's dated and black and white but it's such a classic. DD watched that one with me and also thought I was nuts.
      That is probably the best of the zombie movies. Though I was very disappointed when they shot the black dude.

So many good horror movies and so little time.

I adore the old ones - I don't need to see gore to be tittilated. I also like quirky.

Masque of the Red Death
      Prince of Darkness
      The Fog [1980, Adrienne Barbeau]
      I Sell the Dead - quirky
      Parents - quirky
      Strigoi - quirky
      Nosferatu
      Lord of Illusions
      Psycho [1962]

All currently available from Netflix.
      EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth auntiem View Post
        Wha!!! How did I not know about this! off to imdb...
        It's on instant Netflix I didn't know about it either! Just found it by accident. It's gooooooooood.

And I just realized that I didn't mention the name of the second William Freidken film, it's called Bug. Ashley Judd is in it. Good job but damn it's disturbing.
        https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
        Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Working...
        X