Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone else get nervous before the start of the semester.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone else get nervous before the start of the semester.

Feel Free to ignore, it just helps to vent.

For the past few years, and the beginning of each semester I get really nervous about the semester.

I keep thinking that I won't be able to do the work, and that I will fail the semester. This will bounce back and forth to looking forward to being in school. Then after I get the syllabi, I look over everything and start panicking again.

After the first few assignments I calm down, until the day I turn in a major assignment, or right after a test, and then I get real nervous until I get the grade.

The semester seems to be a little bit on the worse side, due to the two classes I'm taking. I'm taking Chem 2 with lab. I took Chem 1 back in 2003.

The other class I'm taking is a 200 level Lit course. I know there will be a lot of writing in this course; and do to they was my classes transferred I have never taken a composition course. (A lit course transferred over as a comp class)

Self brag: I made deans list last semester, and in a handful of other semesters as well; so I know the amount of worrying I do isn't needed.

First - congrats on being on the Dean's List!

You aren't alone - I was a major stress monster this time around.
    I'm sure your school has a writing center for help with the lit papers. I wouldn't worry overly - lit papers are a breeze compared to doing lab reports IMO. What lit class are you taking?

Comment

Intro to Fiction for my lit class; it's an upper level lit course; since everyone is required to take a 200 level lit class.

I'm okay on basic lab reports, which is what appears to be the format for the labs for chem; I just wish it hadn't been so long since chem 1.

Comment

Congratulations on making the Dean's List!

I'd say yeah, pre-school stress is normal -- it does seem as if no matter how good people have done in the past, they still get stressed out over what's coming. I did reasonably well last year but am looking at my class schedule for this year and have already highlighted the course(s) in each semester that I expect to have problems with!

Ironically, if I were taking literature courses, I wouldn't be stressed at all ... but I'm going into a program that involves math and science.

Good luck ... but I'm sure you will do well!

Comment

Little Bits called me Tuesday night (the night before classes started) and told me that she was so worried that she had been vomitting. She called last night and told me she was fine and classes went real well.

Comment

I love school and I love back to school shopping. But i get SOOOO nervous before school, its ridiculous. Stomache aches, headaches. Then I go to class and everythings fine. People are weird....myself included.

Good luck with Chem, OP! Use any resource people/centers available to you. Itll be worth it in the end.

Comment

I think the proper question is:
              Does any one NOT get nervous before the start of the semester?

I'm out of college for around 9 years now, and I still get nervous before the start of the semester. Admittedly, I work in an academic department now, so I have different worries :P

Comment

I'm only taking one grad course this semester, and I'm still nervous. It's always a question of new teachers, new expectations, etc, etc, and you don't know how to prep for it right away.

Least, that's my theory.
                My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

I'm a freak. Other than worrying about money-related stuff, I was always excited to go to school.

Of course, after a bit that whole getting up while it was still morning and having to leave the house every single day got stale...

If I were a younger person, I'd totally get a degree online. Right now, however, I'd much rather learn a hobby trade that I can convert to a side business.

^-.-^
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

New people, new classes, uncertain expectations...pretty normal to be stressed out.

My classes don't start until the end of September and I just started to make lists of all the things I need to do so that it doesn't hit me all at once.

I'm sure you'll do great once you get into the swing of things.

Best wishes!

Comment

Thanks for all the support. That is one of the things I love about this site.

Also the Chem 2 teacher is an adjunct teacher, and while I have had adjunct teachers before, I have never had a good one; unfortunately this semester this class is only taught by an adjunct. I've never had a really good adjunct teacher (I know there must be some out there)

Comment

Quoth JPD View Post
                        I'm taking Chem 2 with lab. I took Chem 1 back in 2003.
                        If you still have your old text or notes, start refreshing YESTERDAY!

Quoth Amina516 View Post
                        Use any resource people/centers available to you.
                        Does your school have anything in the way of a tutoring center? USE IT!

Quoth thansal View Post
                        I think the proper question is:
                        Does any one NOT get nervous before the start of the semester?

I'm out of college for around 9 years now, and I still get nervous before the start of the semester. Admittedly, I work in an academic department now, so I have different worries :P
                        I think this is the first semester I've not had the start of semester dreams where I go to the first day of class and don't have any handouts ready, or where I've been assigned to teach a class that isn't even in my department, i.e. to teach Spanish I, or Accounting. Yeah, I know them well enough, but to teach? I doubt it. I probably have not had the dreams yet because I've not been getting enough sleep to hit REM stage, but that's another story.

Quoth JPD View Post
                        Also the Chem 2 teacher is an adjunct teacher, and while I have had adjunct teachers before, I have never had a good one; unfortunately this semester this class is only taught by an adjunct. I've never had a really good adjunct teacher (I know there must be some out there)
                        I hope you get a wonderful instructor! There really are some great adjuncts out (t)here. It will be a rough course since your Chem I is so old, but if you're willing and able to put in the work, you should be fine.
                        Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

WOW! Congrats on making the Dean's List.

Everyone gets stressed before the start of a semester, especially Fall semester after having summer off. I just finished summer courses so I'm in a weird state of stressing about them though I know there is nothing left I can do, worrying about all my Fall courses, and just trying to enjoy my two week break.

I found out yesterday that my online course is actually taking place at the same time as my math class. So I have to drop that course, and find another class to fill my schedule. So there are currently two openings on my Fall schedule thanks to one class being cancelled and the time conflict with this course. It's so annoying because my schedule was ideal when I made it up in May.

I'm actually in a weird state academically because I transferred, and the school I transferred to puts new students on post-transfer probation. So the pressure to do well it extra high.
                          Hinakiba777- Student of Divinity-Always trying to get laid.

Annoying student=I pay tuition here so I pay your salary!
                          Desk Worker=I pay tuition here, too. So I guess I pay myself.

Comment

Yes, yes and yes..I also get nervous, especially when I see how much work this semester involves, and know that next semester is my Practicum. I know that I will do well, I really do, but I worry that I won't pass or will do something to fail.

Senior year, will graduate either Summa Cum Laude or Magna Cum Laude and I still worry myself to death.
                            Remember, stressed spelled backwards is desserts.

Comment

In my degree, and because i was attending a smaller campus, we had alot of adjuncts. Most were good, good luck OP! And now i freak out for lil ray....her first day of school is tomorrow! Sigh

Comment

Working...
                              X