This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transferring video

Okay, so having worked out the Firewire problem, I have downloaded one of my tapes. The drive the video is on is now in the red zone. I tried to move the file to my external drive, only to be told that the file is too large (in other words, it's more than 4GB).

Should I convert the external drive to NTFS? Is that the best solution? If so, what is the best way to do this?

I may be wrong but I don't believe it's a conversion that is available. You probably have to reformat. Which will blow everything away on the drive. Exfat may also be a format option and should handle large file sizes.
    But the paint on me is beginning to dry
    And it's not what I wanted to be
    The weight on me
    Is Hanging on to a weary angel - Sister Hazel

Comment

IIRC, changing to NTFS will either require a reformat, or, if it can be done "in place," it might not be trustworthy. Do you have a spare drive/some flash drives you can offload stuff onto as a temporary solution?

If the external/target drive is already empty, then, yeah, go ahead and convert it to NTFS.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

No, it's not empty, though everything on it can be put back on after conversion.

Comment

Yeah, do that Offload everything, reformat it (full format, not quick), put data back on and go from there.
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

So what's the verdict? NTFS?

Comment

Hm? Yes. NTFS, absolutely! ^_^ Assuming you're on Windows.

Comment

Yeah NTFS. For Windows users it's the only format that can handle the larger file sizes.

I had a similar headache myself some time ago.
                I AM the evil bastard!
                A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

It worked! Happy dance!

Comment

Working...
                  X