This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Get Out NOW!

I've been renting an apartment in a house in the historic district for the last 10 years. Let's not get into the whole rent versus shackle oneself to a mortgage and pay rent on top of that to the government debate here. I rent and I'm happy with it.

The house recently went into foreclosure. The owner/landlord who maintains a business office on the main floor went upside down in his loan and finally filed bankruptcy. Nice guy, I hated to see it happen to him.

He hasn't told me much of anything about how things were progressing and the bank that foreclosed on him has yet to contact me as a tenant.

Last week, a real estate agent got my contact info from the nice lady living next door. She called my employer and asked for me. I wasn't there as I was out on a test drive at the time. So instead of simply leaving her name and number and discussing it with me privately, she told my boss to tell me that I MUST move out of my apartment IMMEDIATELY.

Yes really. The battleaxe told my personal business to someone who had no need to know. Seriously considering filing a complaint against her. Just not sure who to file it with as her agency is "old money" and won't care.

I called her back and spoke with her personally. She was nice enough, but adamant that I need to vacate the property yesterday. No can do, I need a little time to find a new home. She decided that the end of this month will be fine.

When I got home I did a little research and found that under the Protecting Tenants Under Foreclosure Act of 2009, I have to be given 90 days notice to vacate, and only after those 90 days are up can they even START eviction proceedings!

Oh and that the real estate agent doesn't even work for the realtor who is listing the house, much less the bank who OWNS the house. Therefore she had no authority to call me at all!

I called her back the next day and let her know what I'd found out about the law. She first asked for a copy of my lease. No lease, that expired years ago, I'm a tenant at will month to month. Oh, she said, the law doesn't apply to you. Well yes ma'am it does, the law states that month-to-month tenants must be given 90 days and that as a real estate agent she should know that.

Her tone went from buddy-buddy to icy cold. She stated that she'd inform the bank's legal department and I could expect to hear from them. Ok. Thanks. Bye.

Has anyone else been through this before? First time for me. Anyone taken advantage of "cash for keys"? I'm going to contact the bank and see what offer they'll make. I can relocate easily enough, but it would be nice to be compensated for the expense.
    Proud Oath Keeper and 3 Percenter!

Don't know anything about this, but I'm sorry you're dealing with it.

Hope you find a new place soon!
    My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

While you're talking to the bank, let them know that some rogue realtor is calling the tenants in the building and trying to scare them into moving out. Maybe call the realtor licensing body (don't know what that is precisely) and tell them too.
      "If you pray very hard, you can become a cat person." -Angela, "The Office"

Comment

Real estate lady sounds the bad kind of crazy, IMO. O.o A) She sounds like one of those types of people who absolutely loathes for people outside of her field of work to know more about it than she does. B) She sounds, as Draper Mel said, like she's trying to scare people into moving out of the place without a second thought.
        "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

Quoth NCO View Post
          Oh and that the real estate agent doesn't even work for the realtor who is listing the house, much less the bank who OWNS the house. Therefore she had no authority to call me at all!.
          I know nothing of American tenant laws as I am canadian, but if this woman works neither for the company listing the house nor the bank who currently owns the house, how they hell can she be calling you?

More importantly, how can you know what she is saying is true and not just a huge pile of crazy? Have you talked to the agency dealing with the listing, have you talked to the bank?have you talked to your lawyer?
          Hinakiba777- Student of Divinity-Always trying to get laid.

Annoying student=I pay tuition here so I pay your salary!
          Desk Worker=I pay tuition here, too. So I guess I pay myself.

Comment

See if the National Association of Realtors has an office anywhere in your area that you can call. There is a code of ethics that licensed realtors are supposed to adhere to, and it sounds like this woman is violating it.
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

The law says you have 90 days then you have 90 days. Make sure you hold onto your rent since that may be the only money you have to move with. Also look into the low income lawyer advice for tenants and they will be able to give you the words you need to fend off her crazy rear.

Comment

Oh and that the real estate agent doesn't even work for the realtor who is listing the house, much less the bank who OWNS the house. Therefore she had no authority to call me at all!

This part is weird - could she be representing someone that wants to buy the property? When you confirm she is not working for the bank, I would file a complaint not with her agency but with the licencing board. Hell make it part of the deal that the bank file a complaint about her misrepresenting herself to you. If the bank files a complaint maybe she will lose her licence.

In the meantime post negative reviews at every online site you can think of.

Comment

Quoth kaherbert
                  In the meantime post negative reviews at every online site you can think of.

I would NOT do this because it could fall under harassment to her and that is not a can of worms anyone wants to open.

Comment

Could it be she represents an interested purchaser and is trying to scare out the existing tenants so they don't have to honour existing agreements?
                    This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                    I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth Draper Mel View Post
                      While you're talking to the bank, let them know that some rogue realtor is calling the tenants in the building and trying to scare them into moving out. Maybe call the realtor licensing body (don't know what that is precisely) and tell them too.
                      not to mention calling said tenants at work, and trying to intimidate them.

You might also want bring this to whatever local network does your "on your side" stories, because this is something that can be very important to the community - the question of renters rights ys the bank and intimidation etc.

This part is weird - could she be representing someone that wants to buy the property? When you confirm she is not working for the bank, I would file a complaint not with her agency but with the licencing board. Hell make it part of the deal that the bank file a complaint about her misrepresenting herself to you. If the bank files a complaint maybe she will lose her licence.
                      good point - reporting her to the local board for trying to intimidate you when she represents neither the owner nor the bank might get her into serious trouble with the board. especially if the bank gets pissed that she's running the risk of fucking up their procedures too
                      Last edited by PepperElf; 08-12-2012, 04:20 PM.

Comment

Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
                        Could it be she represents an interested purchaser and is trying to scare out the existing tenants so they don't have to honour existing agreements?
                        That is what I was thinking too. That sounds unethical to me - I'd report her.
                        When you talk to the bank ask them what to do with your rent payments - usually they have you put it into a specific account (like you would if you were witholding rent until major repairs are made) and then work it all out during the foreclosure process. That way they can't evict you for non payment of rent.
                        I've seen listings for homes with rentals and some of them list "long term reliable renter on premises" or some such - some people are actually looking for a place that already has a renter - that would be great if you really like the place (I think with a month to month lease though that they could jack up rent - I'd check on that too).

Comment

Hello, there... former real estate agent here.

Every state has a licensing board. If you do a Google search for your state government, or (if it's a large state by county) - there should be a listing for your real estate licensing board somewhere and on that site will be a place to file a complaint. That's where you should go to file it, especially as she's breaking the law.

Please report her - agents are supposed to adhere to a strict ethical code and agents like this give everyone a bad name.
                          Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not even sure about the universe.
                          --attributed to Albert Einstein

Comment

Your state attorney general's office might be able to help you as well... I'd give them a call in this one too.

Comment

Question: Is this person actually a realtor, or is she a scam artist? The reason I ask is because foreclosures are public records, published in county newsletters and local newspapers. Using just that little bit of information, someone could pose as a realtor and try to dig for more information that could be used for identity theft or similar purposes.

Please let us know what you find out after talking to the bank and the realtors' licensing board.
                              "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                              -Mira Furlan

Comment

Working...
                              X