Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vacation?...Why Do I Feel MORE Stressed?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vacation?...Why Do I Feel MORE Stressed?

So, just got back from my once-a-year-husband's-family-tradition of renting a home by the beach for a week. Its supposed to be a nice getaway, but this year...was bad.

Oh dear lord, bad.

My two brother in laws both bowed out, which sucked, because I like them, and they're fun. My sister in law isn't so bad, but we have barely nothing in common, and her kids are....yeah. You'll hear about that in a minute, anyways. Add in that sister in law recently divorced her husband (who I loved to pieces, we had a TON in common and we always hung out with him every year)

So this year it was just her family, my father in law, and us. Shouldn't have been so bad.

Except, the house we rented apparently just did a big overhaul, to nicen things up. Revamped the furniture, deep cleaned the carpets, new floor mats, added some pretty wicker tables, stuff like that. They also changed the policy to no pets.

Sister in law, having put the rental in her name (we all sent her checks for our share), had reserved it a month before the change. Paid the pet waiver, and didn't contact the company after she saw the change in policy. As she put it "I paid the waiver, their own fault, they can suck it up." I protested, nothing I could do about it though. I seriously have been considering though, calling up the realty company and letting them know they need to check that place over BIG TIME.

And brought her brand new puppy. Who is not housetrained.

Puppy was the first main issue, and an insane source of stress. She peed EVERYWHERE. And by everywhere, I mean, we were constantly cleaning our feet because we'd found a new spot Puppy had peed on. Puppy also pooped everywhere. SIL and my nephew and niece were supposed to be responsible for cleaning up, but it soon became apparent that they were used to just leaving things like this, and were annoyed at the constant "she peed over here, guys...". At one point, Nephew decided to yell at me that I'd better start doing my share of cleaning up after the dog. I made it crystal clear that it was NOT my decision to bring the dog, they knew full well, and they were going to clean up after it. Nephew yelled at me a bit, and then hauled his butt out of the room when I got fed up and started walking towards him. (In all honesty though, niece wasn't as bad as being annoyed, she was just obviously used to not having to do a thing about it.)

I may be short, but I roll good intimidate checks, and he knows I'm more than willing to tan his hide.

So anyways, puppy, besides the peeing, and pooping, chewed on everything. Remember that wicker table I mentioned? She tore it UP. SIL turned the table around and said "they won't ever notice, by the time they do we'll be long gone."

The Big Incident With Puppy came after I'd gone on a small shopping trip, and returned happily with homemade baklava from a local bakery. I'd placed it in our room, shut the door, and made my way upstairs to check my email. Since they were trying to keep Puppy upstairs, there was a gate at the top of the stairs, which I double checked and shut. Nephew walks down right after I go up, I don't think anything about it.

Until I hear a crash a few minutes later.

I look up, and notice Puppy is gone. Nephew is back upstairs, absorbed in Runescape, and says "Not my problem." I run downstairs, and the worst has happened. Nephew left the gate open, and Puppy got downstairs, coincidentally at the same time my youngest went looking for me and opened the door to our room. Puppy bolted straight in, and started tearing things to pieces.

She'd ripped open our toiletry bag and scattered the contents across the room, chewed on the corner of the dresser, and gotten into a set of MLP posters I'd just bought. Claw marks through them, chew marks, you name it. The worst though, was that she'd gotten up on the bed, peed on my husband's pillow, and then eaten the baklava.

I was livid.

I picked up Puppy, threw her outside into the hallway, slammed the door shut, and proceeded to cry while I cleaned up the mess. SIL popped in, realized what had happened, and apologized. Nephew, however, refused to care about it, and just went back to Runescape.

Didn't end there, though. After my good cry, and cleaning up stuff, I went upstairs, to see Nephew ignoring the puppy as she'd climbed up onto a table, and gotten my cell phone. Which she was chewing lustily on.

After I yelled and swatted Puppy on the rump for it (not a hard swat, trust me, I've had dogs, she probably didn't feel SQUAT), Nephew rounded on me and started screaming that I needed to leave her alone, that I was an animal abuser, and that its not HIS responsibility to watch her.

Uh, yes, ITS YALLS DOG. IT DARN WELL IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY.

Nephew and I just kinda faced off at that point, until his mom walked back upstairs, and we both just walked away. Wasn't the last time I'd have an issue with him, though, oh no.

/twitch twitch

I'll finish this a bit later, recalling this, and typing this, has totally given me chest pains, yes, this whole shebang was THAT stressful. This is sorta cathartic though. /twitch
    By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Hugs, cookies, alcohol, whatever you need, dear. It's coming your way. Gods, even the family trip to Disney World with my wife's family wasn't this bad.

"If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

...as soon as I saw the OP title, and that it was Seraph, I knew it was going to be bad.

Enemy of Normalcy!
      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

*whines* THEY are the animal abusers...that dog is just BEGGING for attention.

I'm sorry you lost the baclava. I LOVE LOVE LOVE that stuff and can very rarely find a place that has it anywhere near decent.

Comment

I love dogs, and even I would have been tempted to accidentally leave the outside door open...

I think you might want to decline next year's get-together, or get your own place for it.
          https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

I just hope there isn't a post script about your relatives getting a bill from the rental place for damages, and expecting you to pay a share.

I learned long ago, even though I love my family, I always expect that upon parting ways after a visit, I will be more stressed than when the visit began. Heck, even long phone calls from some family members would leave me highly stressed (I'm the only person I know who practically dropped to their knees to give thanks to the heavens when caller ID became available). If at all possible, I would schedule a mini-vacation with hubby to immediately follow a family vacation.

Madness takes it's toll....
            Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Ok, so onto Nephew.

Obligatory Backstory: SIL and her husband picked an unfortunate method of discipline. (please, no Fratching stuff, its just that they DID use a bad method for their kids) They believed they could simply talk things over with their kids, so that they'd "grow into better individuals, without being squelched". SIL's husband also made a buttload of money, so the kids got anything they ever wanted, really. They both quickly grew up to be VERY spoiled, VERY bratty, and thankfully niece seems to be growing out of it, but Nephew...is not.

Add in SIL's divorce, and the fact the money is not the same, and its BAD. Nephew is TICKED that he can't always get what he want. And it shows.

Incident Uno occurred right after we got there. SIL, my niece, and I went out to get groceries for the house. We got quite a few, and were exhausted by the time we returned. After lugging some up the stairs, my husband and FIL went out to get some of the rest, and SIL asked Nephew to help. He immediately threw a FIT, screamed it wasn't his responsibility, besides, he was BUSY. He was trying to earn money in RUNESCAPE, couldn't we just LEAVE HIM ALONE? He was only TWELVE, he's not supposed to have to help out around the house! SIL tried interjecting several times, but stopped after he kept yelling "shut up, mom!"

I immediately gave him the most cold stare I've ever done, and told him to get out there and help. Now. He flipped out, and stomped off. He brought up ONE bag (there were upwards of a dozen left in the car) and went right back to Runescape, and completely ignored everyone for the rest of the night, even when his mom asked him to clean up after Puppy. I apologized to SIL for jumping in, and she said "no, no, I have NO authority over him whatsoever, he never listens. You do what you need to do. If you can get him to do something, that'll be more than I can do."

Oh. dear. holy mother of refried items.

I was floored. This is going to be bad.

Yeeeep. Very next day, after a round at the beach, Nephew spots me and SIL making sandwiches for ourselves, after making lunch for everyone else. Nephew demands another sandwich. And I mean "Make me a sandwich now. I'm still hungry." SIL states she's busy, she's tired, he can come over and make his own. "BUT IM BUSY IN RUNESCAPE, D***IT. Make me a sandwich NOW!" SIL walked off, and Nephew turns his look to me. "You need to make me a sandwich, Seraph."

Da eff do you think you are, kid?

I inform him frostily he is getting no such sandwich, he has legs and hands, he can come make his own.

"IM BUSY S*** NOBODY LISTENS TO ME" and goes back to playing Runescape. "Make me a sandwich!"

I lean over the counter and tell him that I will not stand that kind of talk, he'd better not push it, or I would take that laptop away.

"Oh yeah, I dare you to try." I go around the counter and stand at the end of the couch he's on. Better not push it, nephew. "blah blah BLAH, you wouldn't DARE touch me."

I promptly vault over the couch, snatch the laptop, shut it, yank the cords out in one motion, and have turned and left before his jaw finishes hitting the floor.

He starts screaming. SIL had apparently come back in to see this, and is staring. "Well, she DID warn you."

Nephew stomps off downstairs, screaming and crying, and SIL shrugs. I finish making my sandwich, and hop on to my laptop for a bit to check email and play for a bit. Not ten minutes later, I get a call from SIL ex-husband, saying that Nephew'd called him in a rage, said that I was being "super mean and jumping all over him for stupid little things". Ex knows that Nephew is a liar, and asks me for the full story, which I give him. He sighs, and says that he's been trying, but he thinks its too little, too late. Especially since SIL is a doormat to Nephew now.

I tell him I'm sorry, but that I was tired of it, and that I wasn't going to put up with this the entire trip. Ex assures me he's cool with what I did, he's surprised I didn't beat the tar out of him (I considered it. I'll admit it). After chatting with him for a bit, I hear stomping, and look up to see Nephew coming back upstairs. And SIL handing him back the laptop, and saying she is sorry. And she goes and makes him a sandwich.

THE HECK, WOMAN.

I tried to avoid Nephew for the rest of the day, but kept butting heads with him because I'd catch him tormenting his sister. Seriously, the poor girl would be sitting by herself, reading, and he'd suddenly run up, slap her in the face, and then scream "AHHHH, NIECE HIT ME!"

There was a small other headbutt over the fact that we'd bought a huge box of 24 ice cream sandwiches, to be limited to 1, maaaybe 2, per day to each kid. With 4 kids, this should've been fine. Nephew was seen CONSTANTLY with ice cream sandwiches, and when asked "oh, this is only my second". After, you know, the fourth or fifth time asking.

The box disappeared in 2 days. My own kids only had one and a half each each. Niece had two. FIL admitted he'd had one, and my husband as well. SIL and I hadn't touched them.

Yep, Nephew ate 17 ice cream bars in two days. And SIL apologized to him when he threw a tantrum that they were all gone. And went and bought him more.

The last really big incident occurred when I was buying aforementioned baklava.

The bakery also doubled as selling small glass items, and homemade gelato. But as I said, small. glass. Items.

A pic of the shop's interior is here:

As you can see, not much move-around space, and lots of tiny, breakable, expensive objects. I left the youngest with husband, and went in with my older. Even though she's five, she's extremely well behaved, and well mannered. Nephew and Niece tagged along, and I explained to them that they needed to be very careful. Niece promised, Nephew just rolled his eyes and dramatically sighed. The brat.

As we go in, there's a party of sixteen people getting served before us. No joke. Its taking a while, and Nephew gets antsy, quickly. He starts dancing around, and I tell him to watch out, he nearly bumped into a display of tiny glass animals behind him. Nephew goes "ohhhh, really?", and suddenly grabs his sister, and shoves her towards it.

I swear my heart stopped for a moment, and I lunged to grab her. Niece is extremely started by this, but manages to recover her balance quickly and avoid causing damage. Nephew is grinning, up until I turn on him and scold him for acting like a toddler. My daughter even looked at him and said "You don't have to be so bad!" Nephew literally growls, and then crosses his arms and turns to face the other way. I'm fuming, but just go back to patiently waiting.

A few minutes later, Niece asks if I'm going to get gelato, and I said, no, its a little too expensive here, I'm going to just get two pieces of baklava, and go. Nephew starts asking me to buy him some, since his mom doesn't have the money to spare right now, and I tell him no. He then turns to Niece and says, in a loud voice "Ok, I'm going to count to three, I want you to scream at the top of your lungs when I do, so we can see what happens." Niece freezes, and looks petrified.

Everyone in front of us turned and stared. The owner of the shop herself stopped ringing up a transaction, and looked horrified.

I snapped.

I turned around and ripped him a new one, right there. I told him if he couldn't behave himself, he needed to leave the store now, and that I wasn't going to sit there and babysit someone who couldn't act their age.

Nephew stormed out immediately, and the owner literally sighed with relief. Niece tried apologizing to me, but I told her its not her fault her brother is a twit.

A few minutes later, a grinning Nephew comes back in, and comes up and waves money in my face. "hahaaaaa, take THAT." As the part in front of us is finally finishing up, he hops in front of me and places an order for gelato for him and his sister. Niece looks confused as to what's going on, but is not going to turn down an offer of gelato.

Suddenly, my husband also comes in, looking quite upset, and steps up and pays for Nephew and Niece's gelato. I'm floored, and completely stunned, and unable to protest. I figure this is not the place to discuss this, and order my baklava, and get out. Upon returning, I noticed SIL is very, VERY upset, and avoiding looking at me, and even FIL seems slightly agitated. I've got no idea what's going on, but we all just leave at that point.

On the way home, I find out that Nephew came back to the group, in tears, claiming I'd screamed at him in the middle of the store, out of nowhere, because he'd "looked at some of the stuff" and I screamed he was going to break it all. Then, I proceeded to apparently rub it in his face that I was buying gelato, and that he couldn't get any because his mother was too poor to buy some.

What. The. Optimus Prime Truck.

Husband had no idea what was going on, but as SIL was getting really upset over it, did the buying of their gelato to try and make some semblance of a peace offering, and a stress reliever for SIL. Little did he know what he was doing.

So yeah, the whole rest of the vacation, Nephew ran the show. When he demanded, SIL hopped, and he made everyone else extremely miserable.

The only two good times I really had on vacation were a couple of hour chunks where we just up and left the house because we couldn't take it anymore. We took the kids to an aquarium at one point (Nephew so nicely informed my kids when we got back that we "went to the stupid aquarium" and not the nice one near their house) and then husband took me out for a little dinner at a hibachi (nephew was ticked we didn't bring him home anything, and tried to rub it in our face that he'd once again eaten all the ice cream before we'd gotten back).

I'm just so, so grateful that we're back home. Really.

And yeah, I don't think next year we'll be going with them. At the very least, I won't go unless the puppy doesn't come along (or she'd better be trained by then), or unless my 2 BILs come along.

In fact, I spoke with one BIL today about it (he couldn't make it due to military stuffins), and he promised that if he'd been there, he would've backed me up, and probably tanned Nephew's behind.

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                ...as soon as I saw the OP title, and that it was Seraph, I knew it was going to be bad.
                ;_; I weep for my life.

Quoth Aethian View Post
                I'm sorry you lost the baclava. I LOVE LOVE LOVE that stuff and can very rarely find a place that has it anywhere near decent.
                EXACTLY. This place had some AMAZING baklava, was made just like my great aunt used to make. Light on the phyllo, HEAVY on the nuts and honey, and multiple layers on phyllo in between layers of nuts. Each piece was something like 2-3 inches thick, no lie.

I did go back and buy some more afterwards, I wasn't leaving without it. -.-

Quoth Merriweather View Post
                I just hope there isn't a post script about your relatives getting a bill from the rental place for damages, and expecting you to pay a share.

If at all possible, I would schedule a mini-vacation with hubby to immediately follow a family vacation.
                I really hope not, because I'd go full on Seraph-Anger-Mode if they did. It was NOT my fault.

And yeah, I think I'm going to try to, especially as our anniversary is coming up soon. Maybe just a night to ourselves...dinner and a movie.

Comment

You know, I don't normally advocate for this sort of thing, but that kid needs some time at a boarding school. He needs to be away from his mother entirely so that he can't abuse her into doing things for him, and away from his sister so that she can have some peace to grow into a decent young woman.

I'm just glad that your name isn't on the rental paperwork.

^-.-^
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                    You know, I don't normally advocate for this sort of thing, but that kid needs some time at a military school. He needs to be away from his mother entirely so that he can't abuse her into doing things for him, and away from his sister so that she can have some peace to grow into a decent young woman.

I'm just glad that your name isn't on the rental paperwork.

^-.-^
                    Fixed it for you.
                    Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Quoth Mytical View Post
                      Fixed it for you.
                      I love you so much right now, Myt. I cracked up.

Comment

I'm sorry, Seraph, but I think you handled the entire vacation wrong.

If it were me, I'd have just up and left, written it off as a bad idea, and had a staycation for the rest of the weekend.

Eff that, not worth the headache.

Comment

Man, is Nephew going to get his butt whupped when he gets to higher education. As pushy and snotty and bratty as he is, I guarantee you he's going to run into a teacher who won't put up with that crap (and hopefully an administration that backs the teacher up).

I was going to add that he'll end up at college without SIL to do stuff for him, but then it occurred that may not happen, either because he just won't go to college, or he will but SIL will keep doing stuff for him because she never says no.

We can all hope for the best, however, and that a massive Reality Check gets delivered to him one of these days. Hopefully soon.
                          PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Wow. Sis in law needs to find her backbone pdq

Comment

Sounds like a guy that was in my corp in EVE online ... he was seriously spoiled until he ran into someone who had something he wanted, and wouldn't put up with his crap and kept calling him on it, and refusing to let him walk all over herself ...

Got him to realize that he couldn't pull spoiled brat stuff with people online. He purportedly behaves in real life now ... We will see - this september he leaves to go to college 1500 miles from home.
                              EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Working...
                              X