This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two things that need to DIAF.

Mapquest and whoever invented one-way streets.

That is all.

(I actually hope that the places I applied at *don't* call me back. Never again am I taking any route that involves areas I don't know how to get to.)
    ~~ Every politician that opens their mouth on birth control only proves that we need more of it. ~~

Don't blame you at all. New areas can be scary to drive. That's why I'm glad to be back in the town I grew up on. And that's why mapped out the commute to my new store last week (I start Thursday night).
    Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
    Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

I never ever use Mapquest. Not after I got horribly lost one time looking for a place I was going to interview for.

I will use Bing Maps or Google Maps. They are much more reliable.
      Random conversation:
      Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
      DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

I, too, am a fan of google maps. I like to use street view to get an idea of what the turns look like.
        The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

I've not gone near Mapquest since Google Maps showed up and will strenuously suggest that those I am instructing in the ways of getting places do the same.

Mapquest has gotten more than a few customers lost trying to get here, and we're not far from a fairly major street and two notable local freeways. There's just no excuse for it to be mistaken; this place hasn't changed since before Mapquest existed.

I'm also a fan of both the satellite and street views. And now that I have a phone that has and Android map feature, I'm completely spoiled.

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth fma_fanatic View Post

I will use Bing Maps or Google Maps. They are much more reliable.
            I use Google Maps, but I also have my TomTom GPS.

I will use Google Maps to give me a route, then back it up with TomTom. Whichever route is the quickest, great. But I then go back and using street view, look for landmarks so I know where to turn. That way I'm not driving at 10km/h trying to look for a street sign
            The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Not directed at anyone, but I make a point of never relying on auto-mapping systems; they've yet to give me the correct route to anywhere that I've known the area for, but not the specific address.

There's always some odd detour, bad freeway choice, or the like.

I used to print up maps for the boss pretty often, and I'd always get the start and end locations dialed in as separate maps, and then a general route map for how to get from one are to the other with the turn by turn directions tweaked by me for a better and easier route for him.

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Mapquest screwed us over on a trip years ago, never used it again after that. Google Maps is pretty darn good.

I mean, they tell you how to get to Mordor.
                By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post
                  Mapquest screwed us over on a trip years ago, never used it again after that. Google Maps is pretty darn good.

I mean, they tell you how to get to Mordor.
                  I just now tried that, and it gave me directions to the USDA Rural Development offices in Springfield, Missouri.

Comment

Just took this screencap for you, hehehe:

And that, is why I use GoogleMaps. :3
                    By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                      Not directed at anyone, but I make a point of never relying on auto-mapping systems; they've yet to give me the correct route to anywhere that I've known the area for, but not the specific address.
                      I remember the ONLY time to date where my boyfriends GPS threw a fit.

Basically, we have a one way expressway in the state that is currently undergoing duplication work. This happened prior to said duplication work.

Monday-Friday, from 2am-12:30pm, you can use it to head citybound. From 2pm-12:30am, you can head southbound (from the CBD)
                      Saturday, Sunday and Public Holidays, the order is reversed. The idea is that on public holidays, people can use the expressway to travel to McLaren Vale or whatever for wine tastings or a grand day out. The usual Monday-Friday idea is to allow for a simple commute to and from work.

MOST GPS's are programmed for the expressway times, so they can use it as an option. Both mine and my boyfriends GPS's WERE programmed for it.

Driving back from the movies on a public holiday, my boyfriend opted to use the expressway, which the GPS did not recommend. Normally when that happens (we take the alternate route), the GPS will self-correct.

INstead, for the ENTIRE trip along the expressway, the GPS kept saying "Recalculating" every 2 minutes. It drove me nuts.

We mainly use our GPS's to either work out what time/how long it'll take for me to get somewhere, or for if I'm going somewhere new.
                      The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post
                        And that, is why I use GoogleMaps. :3
                        "We could not calculate directions between Shire Motel, 46 Pleasant Street, Woodstock, VT 05091 and Mordor, Kooltuin 8, 1811 MG Alkmaar, Netherlands."

Comment

I'm poor. I can't afford a fancy cellphone; I'm still working off what would be considered an "ancient" one by today's standards, so no androids for me.

I trust GPSes about as far as I can throw one: which is to say, not a damn bit. A relative of mine has one and the dumb thing always led us down roads that didn't even freaking exist. There's no substitute for being able to read a good street map, IMO.

Quoth Seraph View Post
                          Just took this screencap for you, hehehe:
                          That is a thing of beauty and should be framed for posterity.
                          ~~ Every politician that opens their mouth on birth control only proves that we need more of it. ~~

Comment

I once went with my friend to a university in Detroit (which I now attend) to see a play for one of her classes. MapQuest told us to turn left on a one-way street going right. In the middle of Detroit. At about 10 at night. It was quite terrifying.

And Seraph, Google Maps is so much fun to type random things into. I do love the Shire and Mordor one especially.

Comment

My mum had my old GPS. She still can't figure it out so dad programs it for her and she still gets astoundingly lost. I'm not talking just a few streets or next suburb lost, she's going 100km lost in the wrong direction. She then calls dad who can't help her get back home because she doesn't know where she is or how the hell she got there .

I've inherited that quirk even worse so I get lost on foot and couldn't tell you how to get to the local hospital which is 2 blocks away in that general direction. Point and hope for the best. Guess I should learn to read a compass with my directional pointing leanings.

Comment

Working...
                              X