X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Amethyst Hunter View Post
    ...whoever invented one-way streets.
    That would be the Romans. They also invented: Stop signs, two-lane highways, specific vehicle bans and alternate side-of-street parking.
    I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
    -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

my BF calls it "Death by GPS".

We were going from the dog park to where our roller derby team practices and his phone GPS said to go straight at one intersection.

My BF turned right instead, cos he already knew the road the GPS was trying to make him go down was physically blocked to cars. IIRC it had some posts in the middle of it to stop people from using it for through-traffic.

Comment

The most important part of learning to use a GPS is knowing when to ignore it. I've had a truck-specific GPS (with the "53 foot trailer" option checked) try to route me along a road with "no trailers over 28 1/2 feet" signs, and when I ducked back onto the interstate (fortunately the first sign was before the exit where I could get back) tried to route me along a road with a 10 ton weight limit (carrying 40,000+ pounds of paper). Since this GPS allegedly used the same routing that my carrier at the time used for calculating distance (paid by the mile), I asked dispatch which exit from the interstate their software said I should have used ("short trailer", "light weight", and "legal" used 3 different exits, with "legal" having the longest distance), but I never could get an answer.
        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

I am sure the GPS on the phones are trying to kill us. I have named it Glados

We were in SF recently. It sent us up Hyde Street. You know the one that the trolley goes up. yeah I was not a happy camper
          Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

My blog Darkwynd's Musings

Comment

Quoth Elspeth View Post

We were in SF recently. It sent us up Hyde Street. You know the one that the trolley goes up. yeah I was not a happy camper
            Didn't we have some fun, though?

Remember when the you saw the street and I said "Go up that.", and you were like, [deep voice] "No way!" And then I was all, "We pretended we were going to murder you." That was great.
            By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

Quoth PhiSigGirl1988 View Post
              And Seraph, Google Maps is so much fun to type random things into. I do love the Shire and Mordor one especially.
              Amusingly, Rivendell to Mordor will produce the same results. Rohan....will not.

GPS would probably not help my Mom, She Of The Complete Lack Of Any Sense Of Direction Whatsoever. Good thing Stepdad drives everywhere these days.

But there is an infamous story in our family about a day in the distant past, I think before any of us kids were born, when Mom and Dad were living in Flushing, New York. Mom had to drive somewhere, and she did. And then she went to go home. Now, most people, when they go from point A to point B, can usually get back from point B to point A without too much problem. Some people can at least get close. And then....there's Mom.

[A phone rings in a Flushing apartment.]

DAD: Hello?
              MOM: Um...Fan Man....?
              DAD: Oh good lord. Dizz, where are you?
              MOM: Um....I don't know. There are a lot of planes here....

Mom was at Teterboro Airport. Which is only about nineteen miles away from Flushing. In the wrong state. On the wrong side of the Hudson River. Not even within shouting distance of Flushing.

To fully appreciate the hilarity of this, feel free to go to google maps and type in directions from Flushing, NY, to Teterboro Airport in NJ.

We all still laugh about this story. Well....all except Mom. (Kind of appropriate that today (yesterday?) was her birthday.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
              Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post
                Didn't we have some fun, though?

Remember when the you saw the street and I said "Go up that.", and you were like, [deep voice] "No way!" And then I was all, "We pretended we were going to murder you." That was great.
                YES!! I believe there was swearing at the hubby. And a lot more swearing at hubby when the trolley stopped at the crest of the hill. Also tourists are stupid
                Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

My blog Darkwynd's Musings

Comment

Quoth Elspeth View Post

you can download a glados voice for your gps
                  Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
                  Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

Your destination is a lie.

Comment

Working...
                    X