This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need some advice. Somewhat long.

I currently live in an Adult Care Home for Mental Illness. I have Major Depressive Disorder. It's one of the few where you live with the family in their home. It's primarily run by the mother and daughter. I get along great with the daughter and the mother can be nitpicky some of the time.

My issue is with one her sons that also lives there. This person is extremely opinionated and always has to be right. He's short in height so he's a very vocal person and brags a lot about things he does. He also seems to have the "aw shucks" thing about him. In this environment it seems to be perfectly fine for him to get on my or others cases about the stupidest little things, but we can't defend ourselves with the consequence of being labeled difficult. Sometimes it's damned if you and damned if you don't.

I would really like to talk to the sister in private because we have a really good rapport, but I don't want to make waves and say something negative about her brother even though she knows how he can be.

What should I do?

Is there some form of external overseer for this care home? If there is, I'd have a few words with him/her. I believe that HIPAA laws re: patient confidiality would apply here, so the management of the home wouldn't know who has made the complaint.

Perhaps Panacea knows more about this - if she doesn't reply in this thread within a few days, I'd recommend you to double-post this thread in the "Sickbay" section.
    A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

To be honest, it's one of the best group homes in my city. And the good outweighs the bad by a huge margin. Having the anxiety that I do, every decision I make, makes me kind of sick. Fortunately, I am more than capable of living on my own if I wanted to. It's just a tough decision every now and then. The sister has been great. She had a hellacious time some months ago dealing with my roommate at the time.

The man was complete nightmare and caused trouble for everyone in the house. The sister is physically disabled and is thankful for me and the other male client that live here. I kind of feel a loyalty to them to stay right now. I just have to try to develop a thicker skin and let things run down my back. Every day is struggle though.

Comment

Working...
      X