This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dream job and a workshop

A while ago the college where I work sent me to locksmith school. The whole thing started with me joking that fixing the locks at the college would cost more than sending me to school for it and I laughed and instead of laughing, they looked intrigued. I went in with very little knowledge other than my tendency to take things apart when I'm bored and have tools nearby and a general understanding of how tiered key systems work. I didn't expect to discover my dream job but I did and coming back to work being able to do this was amazing. It wasn't even just that locksmithing was my dream job, doing it at a community college where I was mostly on my own with it and not having to go out to strange houses or cars. At the time, I had a boss who would get in moods and suddenly decide things. He decided that a college that hadn't had it's doors maintained for ages and didn't have the locks up to date to match the system (why is admissions using a marketing key, etc) couldn't possibly have need of this much work. I started having to radio in everything I did and send emails at the end of each day. It didn't matter how much I explained why things took as long as they did, he decided I was wrong and that was all there was to it. It doesn't help that this place has a tendency to have work orders come in that should take me 5 minutes and instead take days because of all the weird, unlikely factors and lack of communication (I just spent a week on what it turns out could have just been me making copies of a key and this was a problem that had been going on for a month before I found out about it). Once he got tired of trying to win using my logs as proof that I didn't have enough actual lock work to do, he decided he didn't care and I was done anyway. Getting told that I was going back to working the desk sucked a lot. I have trouble sitting still and being so active at work and being able to work with my hands was soothing for my ADD and generally calming for me. I went from being amazingly happy to feeling like I was trapped and chained to a desk. I know it sounds dramatic but it's what it felt like for me especially seeing as how my boss wasn't exactly pleasant to work with and I suspect he wished he could fire me. It didn't help that after the dispatcher retired, I was stuck doing that job (I'm the backup dispatcher along with my other duties) until we hired a new person and then in between the various people who we hired but didn't work out. When you're working dispatch you really can't leave the desk without someone there to cover for you.

I dealt with the whole thing but it wasn't fun. If I didn't do projects at home often enough, the lack of hands on stuff at work would build up and effect my mood. It got bad enough that I decided at one point that if I didn't get locks back in a year then I was going to start looking for a different job. I was just too unhappy to justify staying if I could help it. He ended up having a minor heart attack that required surgery within that year and was out for that and the recovery. When he finally came back, he was barely here and ended up retiring earlier than had originally been planned. Having him officially gone was amazing. The whole department was a better place for everyone. I didn't have a whole lot of hope for the locks but I figured I'd do what I could to make my argument including looking into how much we were paying a local locksmith for service. I got amazingly lucky and the new boss is so much better. About a year ago, out of nowhere I was given the locks back and I spent a while being incredibly happy and nervous that it would be taken back away and having trouble feeling like the whole thing was real, all at once.

The subject came up after a while about me having my own space down in the basement with the maintenance workers rather than all my stuff being shoved into the carpenter's office and it's been slowly in the works but mostly it's been slow going due to not having a budget to build me walls. This last month I finally got impatient and successfully made the argument for not needing walls so long as I locked up certain items because the area itself was secured at night and just as accessible as where the stuff had been previously during the day. This last week I finally got nearly everything into my area and I'm so excited! It's awesome to have my own space and have it sorted out though I have a decent amount of bruises to show for my stubborness about just jumping in and doing it myself Not only that but my supervisor talked to me about how some of the stuff had built up (the college decided to play musical offices big time and there was a lot of rekeying to be done) and rather than concern about me doing the locks, she said that I needed to cross train people on some of the stuff I do at the desk so that more could be delegated to others because I need to be able to spend more time on locks! I'll add photos once I have them because I managed to get a fairly nice setup. I still find myself having moments of feeling giddy about the whole thing even when it's driving me insane.
    "Man, having a conversation with you is like walking through a salvador dali painting." - Mac Hall

Trying to do a job with a boss who really doesn't understand your job can be a terrific pain. Glad that things worked out better for you, and it sounds like you now have a decent boss.

Comment

That's great!!

Comment

Quoth Sparklyturtle View Post
        Trying to do a job with a boss who really doesn't understand your job can be a terrific pain. Glad that things worked out better for you, and it sounds like you now have a decent boss.
        Thanks, he went above and beyond not understanding. He intentionally did not want to understand unless it lined up with how he felt things were.

Quoth Sunshine View Post
        That's great!!
        Thank you!

I'm still working on moving into my area but I'm so excited about it!
        "Man, having a conversation with you is like walking through a salvador dali painting." - Mac Hall

Comment

Looks like a good space though.

Comment

Quoth Sunshine View Post
            Looks like a good space though.
            Yes, now if only I could stop changing my mind and moving everything around! At least I didn't bruise as much this time!

Comment

Lol I had that at my last job! Eventually you'll find a place that works for you.

Comment

Well I guess that was nice while it lasted. Just had locks taken away from me again.

Comment

That sucks, what was the reason?
                  Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

We have a locksmith we order through who used to be the one to take care of our lock issues. Something was ordered for the college and it turned out to be the wrong version. He claimed it was all my fault and people were pissed off. No one bothered asking me what my side of it was, I was simply informed that I wouldn't be doing locks anymore. I really didn't see it coming and at this point I don't know that I'd ever want them back because I'd constantly be looking over my shoulder and wouldn't be able to relax. This morning at work was extra fun because apparently some people still don't know yet. I got a work order sent to me and one of my coworkers asked me to fix one of our office doors.

Comment

Working...
                    X