This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
    You know, that whole "get a debit card" line is really kind of presumptuous. Not every banking institution actually uses debit cards, even now.
    Since the drink was £2 I'm guessing OP is English, and every bank account, that's not a kiddie saver, comes with a debit card. They vary slightly (some are for POS only) and nearly all are also cheque guarantee cards. In regards to the scam question, standard procedure for ages over here is that "cheques are only accepted with a valid guarantee card", that means that the bank will honour cheques for amount shown on the card (£50 or £100 normally) and chase the SC for the money.
    Lady, people aren't chocolates. D'you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling. Dr Cox - Scrubs

Comment

I once had a woman give me all the cash from her wallet, then write a check for the balance of her total - $1.38.

Hey Dips - exactly what I was thinking!
      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth tropicsgoddess View Post
        Granted checks are legal tender, but that doesn't mean that merchants HAVE to accept them.
        Exactly! I know of plenty of places in my area who do not accept checks as payment. I would not be a bit surprised if the check the SC was trying to write was no good, seeing he put up such a huge fuss.
        "500 bucks, that's almost a million!"
        ~Curly from the 3 Stooges

Comment

There is also the problem that companies may not accept card transactions for such a small amount. my cinema doesn't accept card payments for less than £4.
          "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Quoth Music Mo-Gal View Post
            OMG. Has this man ever been in a bar before? I don't think I've ever seen anyone write a check in a bar.
            Not without a few tequilas in them, anyway. Unless he was leaving with a woman of questionable repute.... though, I'm not sure they'd take checks, either.

Comment

Quoth BoxGirl View Post
              Not without a few tequilas in them, anyway. Unless he was leaving with a woman of questionable repute.... though, I'm not sure they'd take checks, either.

Well, a certain trash-talk show host wrote a check to one when he was mayor of our town, back in the 1970s.
              "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Working...
              X