This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Husband working over-time

Twice this week my husband had to work over-time.

This is due to the fact that the second shift employee who works in the office has not shown up for work Monday and Tuesday. My husband wonders if she either quit or she was let go for some reason.

He is happy for the over-time, but his employer does not like paying too much over-time... especially the Senior Supervisor over the entire operation of garages where my husband works as a Customer Service Rep.

So once again his employer will be looking for another second shift office employee.

Work update from my husband

Turns out his employer is still looking for someone to work in the office from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Friday. That is the second shift.

He has to work from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Wednesday until further notice. Another employee, who used to work in the office from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. until he was promoted to valet supervisor, will work in the office from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Thursday and Friday.

Monday through Wednesday my husband will work in the office from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. Thursday and Friday he will work in the office from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m.

Beginning last year there has been a revolving door of second shift office employees leaving for some reason.

The over-time is good for us. He just is not happy doing this until a replacement is found.

Hopefully the replacement will stay for a while.
    Last edited by snugglegirl05; 02-15-2016, 07:06 PM.

Comment

Aren't you still looking for work? Is this not a suitable position?
      This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
      I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
        Aren't you still looking for work? Is this not a suitable position?
        The problem is this...

One of our previous supervisors wanted his wife to have the same position. Our employer turned her down because both of them would be working closely together.

Since my husband would be working with me from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday, I do not think that his employer would hire me.

Part of his job is working from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. in the office no matter who the second shift office person is.

Comment

Ah, damn. Fair enough - hope you find something soon!
          This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
          I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Looked up the job on my husband's employer website

I looked up the job on my husband's employer website.

The job title is Administrative Assistant.

The pay rate is $11 to $13 an hour.

Is that a fair pay rate for this job?

Comment

Without giving the company name away :0...

If Admin Assistant basically means "secretary/filing clerk", then yeah, in most of the country that would be a reasonable *starting* wage, yes. Assuming minimal experience required. And heck, it's better than nothing
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                Without giving the company name away :0...

If Admin Assistant basically means "secretary/filing clerk", then yeah, in most of the country that would be a reasonable *starting* wage, yes. Assuming minimal experience required. And heck, it's better than nothing
                Yeah except that the married employee who wanted his wife to have that job was told that she could not since both of them would be working closely together.

He was a former supervisor.

And one of my husband's duties is working in the office 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. answering the intercom calls while the 2nd shift Admin Assistant does other duties.

So both of us would be in the office at the same time.

Comment

I think that someone should ask if you would be eligible for that job. Make sure former supervisor stays out of the communications loop. There could be more to former supervisor's story as to why they won't let his wife have the job. The fact that he is a "former supervisor" may have something to do with it.

If you are really interested, can't hurt.
                  Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                  Save the Ales!
                  Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Working...
                  X