This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP Sharing issue over WLAN

3 computers - 2 running XP pro, one running XP home.

"Main PC" - XP Home / wired
    Second PC - XP Pro / wired
    Laptop - XP Pro / wireless

The XP Home PC is my main PC and I've been trying to "share" the My Pictures folder so my wife can access it to get pictures for some promotional materials.

I go to the MyDocuments folder and share the Pictures folder - I see the little hand appear. I check whatever else I can and everything seems OK.

Over to my wife's XP Pro laptop and I don't see it - in the My Computer or in the Network connections.

Hmm.

I pull up my second PC - XP pro since I share a folder with my main PC. main PC and the laptop both see the the shared folder on the second PC.

I check the settings side by side as best as I can and everything seems to check out yet neither the second PC or the laptop will see the pictures.

I even shared the MyDocuments folder and turned off the firewall (temporarily) and neither helped.

Suggestions?
    Last edited by draggar; 03-10-2009, 09:53 PM.
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Stupid, and I'm sure you've done it already, but I have to ask if you've gone through the steps here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304040

Comment

NM - I just tried again (last attempt was this morning) and it's working now. :S

Yeah, I did that, just not in the round-about way MS suggests.
      Quote Dalesys:
      ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Have you tried mapping the share as a drive? To do this, right click on my computer and select "map network drive" in the "folder" type in:

\\<computer name>\<Share name>

where <computer name> is the name (or ip address) of the machine with the share on it, and <share name> is the name you gave your share.

Hit ok and you should be good. You can see if it worked if the share shows up in "My Computer"

Comment

Working...
        X