This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clock is wrong

Okay, this might be confusing and an obscure problem. To make matters worse--my father attempted to "fix" the problem, but created a whole new problem in the process.

My clock on my laptop is off by about five minutes. Back a few months ago, I was always having problems with it being off by several hours and having to manually go in and tell it to update.

So, yesterday, I tried to update the clock by letting it sync with a server. None of them would work. It said that the "RPC server is unavailable" or something like that. I thought it was my firewall so I completely disabled it and made sure that windows firewall was disabled. It didn't work. I even disabled my anti virus and any other program that didn't need to be running at the time and tried again. Nope, it said the server was unavailable no matter what server I tried to sync with.

I went into administrative tools>services to see if the service was on, and it wasn't. So I tried to start it and it wouldn't. Said something about something not being associated with it.

I went to class and my dad said it would fiddle with it. I come back home and he says, "well, I think I broke it."

Now, when I go to update the time, everything in "internet time" is greyed out. In my services tab, "Windows Time" or whatever it was called, is gone. How could an essential service (I thought!) be gone?! I mean, the clock still works and all...but I just want the right time!

I have no clue of what my dad did and quite frankly, neither does he. How can I fix this? I want my time back! Help. It's driving me bonkers.

Please let us know:
    what operating system
    what anti virus
    what firewall

After this, we can start working on your issue.

Cutenoob
    In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
    She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Oh, sorry...I had thought I already elimated the anti virus and firewall as being the problem, but here's the requested information:

I'm running Windows XP SP2.

My anti virus is Avast! and my firewall is Comodo Pro.

If it matters, my computer is about four years old so maybe I need to replace that CMOS battery thing, but I don't even know how to do that with a laptop...

Comment

If you're running XP, try a rollback or a system restore point.

close all programs.
        Start menu - programs - accessories - system tools - system restore point.
        On the window that comes up, select the day BEFORE your dad fiddled with the system.

your computer settings (NOT DATA) will roll back to that date.

If this helps, great. If not, we need to look further into the services and setups.

Try this first, and let us know.

Cutenoob

Comment

Hi, thanks. The Service is back, but I'm having the previous problem of the clock not syncing...though I updated it manually and it's keeping time. *shrug* maybe it's something I'll have to live with.

Comment

Next question:
            How is your network setup?

Is it something like:

computer with NO firewall ----wired---router----qwest modem----Internet

or

computer with ZoneAlarm firewall---wireless----on neighbors's access point----some carrier ---internet

Please elaborate.

The reason I'm doing this is because clocks are tied to a time server- it's the service in your XP to talk to a Time Server somewhere some how. Now, a lot of routers have very blocked ports, so the NTP (network time protocol) is blocked from finding a time server. If ports are blocked, no NTP talk, equaling wonky clock.

Cutenoob
            Last edited by Der Cute; 03-18-2009, 01:06 AM. Reason: added firewall details

Comment

I'm connected wirelessly to my family's secured network; it is firewalled. I don't think it is the problem. There are three to four other computers connected to this same network at any given time, both wireless and via ethernet and all of them can sync to the internet time servers. I tried every single one. Only mine gives me the "rpc server is unavailable."

Sorry, I know that it doesn't help much...

I found the solution:

I used command prompt and typed in:

W32tm /unregister

Then I reregistered using:

W32tm /register

I believe those were the only two commands I had to use. Thank you Cutenoob for your assistance!
              Last edited by Rine; 03-28-2009, 02:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X