This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The CS Recipe Club

I'm bored tonight, and I thought there had been a thread like this before, but I honestly can't find it...so, since I've learned to cook in the past few years, I figured I'd share some recipes, and hope to see some in return So, post your favorite recipes here!

I'll kick it off with a pairing: Uncle Khiras' Homemade Teriyaki Sauce, and a Baked Chicken recipe to go with it.

The Sauce

Ingredients:
    1 tablespoon Cornstarch
    1 tablespoon cold water
    1/4 cup white sugar
    1/4 cup brown sugar (note, can do more brown and less white too, just aim for that 1/2 cup total)
    1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
    1/2 cup soy sauce (Lite works too if you want less sodium)
    1-2 cloves garlic, minced
    1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
    1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
    (Optional) A few pinches of sesame seeds

Directions

This one is very easy: in a sauce pan, just combine all of the ingredients and stir until the sugar and cornstarch dissolve, and simmer on low (stirring occasionally) until the sauce begins to thicken. Once the sauce begins to thicken a bit, just take it off the burner, and either use immediately, or place in a bottle to use later. Will keep for a few weeks if kept in an airtight container.

Note, if you cook double/triple/etc batches, you CAN bring the mixture to a boil then reduce back to low, which will cause it to thicken faster. Just be careful, as boiling too long may caramelize the sugar, which would be bad Also, if you boil it, be warned that it will boil over extremely fast, so don't walk away from the sauce pan until after you've reset it to low, and stirred it enough to prevent it from rising!

Teriyaki Baked Chicken recipe

For this recipe, you'll start with the sauce above...the portions I list here will feed about 5-6, but I would make at least a double batch of the sauce, if not a triple. I generally go with a triple batch, and use the leftovers on rice or veggies. Also, this is best served right after the sauce finishes, so it's hot when you apply it to the chicken, but you CAN cook up the sauce a day or two beforehand.

Ingredients:
    12 boneless chicken thigh filets
    The sauce above.
    That's it.
    No, really.
    Trust me.

Directions

1. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees fahrenheit.

2. Place the chicken into a 9x13 pan; you may want to line the pan with tin foil first, just to make the cleanup easier. It won't affect the cooking at all.

3. Using a brush, apply the teriyaki sauce to both sides of the chicken; if you've made extra sauce, go nuts and be liberal with the application.

4. Place the pan with the chicken into the oven, where it will cook for 1 hour total. Every 10 minutes, remove the pan and re-brush more sauce onto the top of the chicken. After 30 minutes, re-brush the top of the chicken, then flip each thigh, brush again, and put back in. Continue adding sauce every 10 minutes.

5. After 1 hour, remove the chicken from the oven; the juices should have run free, but if you've applied enough sauce it will have kept the meat moist.

6. Serve with white rice and vegetables; I've had good experiences with asparagus, broccoli, white onions, zuccini, yellow squash, carrots, and/or green beans.

Difficulty-wise, this is actually a very easy recipe to make - the sauce itself requires only the garlic be chopped, as many spice shops will sell things like ground ginger for you. All of the other ingredients will be available at your local super market year-round (or they should). I generally cook this recipe with the 12 thighs listed above mainly because my local store sells packs of 12 for a discounted price, so it's easier for me to just buy the value pack and go nuts. This CAN be time consuming (especially if you make big batches of the sauce), but it's worth the effort. I made this tonight before work, and everyone who was eating kept burning themselves because they couldn't bear to stop and let the food cool down before the next bite.

I'll check back later on, but I have some other very good recipes to add to the list (one of which is the perfect "lazy" crock pot recipe, that I listed in another thread a few weeks back ). Feel free to share your favorites!
    "That's too bad. Hospitals aren't fun to fight through."
    "What IS fun to fight through?"
    "Gardens. Electronics shops. Antique stores, but only if they're classy."

I think we started this before, but the thread is probably closed by now. Here's the best coffee cake I have ever had:

Walnut Streusel Coffee Cake Muffins

Batter:
    1/2 cup non-hydrogenated margarine + 1/2 cup olive oil
    1 cup granulated sugar
    2 eggs
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/2 cup plain yogurt + 1/2 cup sour cream
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt

Topping:
    1/3 cup packed brown sugar (I prefer dark)
    1/4 cup granulated sugar
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts

Directions:
    Preheat oven to 350° F. In a large bowl, cream margarine, olive oil, and cup of sugar until light and fluffy. Mix in eggs and vanilla. Stir in yogurt and sour cream.
    Stir together in another bowl the dry batter ingredients. Gradually stir into margarine mixture. Line Texas-sized* muffin pan with baking papers. Fill each cup 2/3 full with batter. Stir together topping ingredients in a small bowl and top each muffin with a heaping tablespoonful. If you have any left over, just divide it among them. Bake 15-20 minutes, until a knife inserted in center comes out clean. Serve at room temperature. Leftovers can be frozen.

*A regular muffin pan can be used. Use 2 teaspoons of topping mixture for each and check after 10 minutes of baking. They should take between 10 and 15 minutes at 350°.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

i'll just put this here then
      http://www.grouprecipes.com/16762/pitepalt.html
      have fun ^^

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
        I think we started this before, but the thread is probably closed by now.
        Quoth KhirasHY View Post
        I'm bored tonight, and I thought there had been a thread like this before, but I honestly can't find it...so, since I've learned to cook in the past few years, I figured I'd share some recipes, and hope to see some in return So, post your favorite recipes here!
        Yep. I started The CS Recipe Exchange Corner about a year and a half ago.

SC
        "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Comment

This is my high-end version of a wrap I had at Mighty Taco. Not sure I'll like theirs again after I've had this.

Baste a thawed boneless chicken breast with canola oil (to keep it from drying out) and Buffalo sauce and roast it at 450º for about an hour. Flip it over and baste it with some more sauce halfway through. (That temp and time is appropriate for my toaster oven, so YMMV. You could also slice it raw and toss it with the sauce, and it would take a lot less time to cook.)

Dice the chicken and lay it out on 12" flour tortillas. One big chicken breast is good for two of these. Drizzle a little more sauce on if it's too dry.

For each wrap, finely chop one celery stick with the leaves on. Layer that evenly over the chicken.

Drizzle chunky bleu cheese salad dressing over the celery. Alternately you could use actual crumbled bleu cheese. I've just tried the dressing so far.

Wrap it up, and chow down.

The celery is the big thing that makes this better than Mighty's, and it was my husband's idea. Also using fresh home-roasted chicken helps, and being able to control the amount and spiciness of the Buffalo sauce. I don't know how to make Buffalo sauce, I bought a bottle of Anchor Bar at the supermarket.

Comment

Alfredo sauce- (you'll be surprised how easy it really is)

1/2 to 1 cup shredded white cheeses (use any combination you like of parmesan, romano, fontina, and asiago). DO NOT use the non refrigerated grated pizza topping cheese, it won't melt properly.

1 to 2 cups heavy whipping cream

Optional:
            Garlic
            Pepper
            Basil
            Sauteed shallot
            White wine

Heat the cream over med-low heat. Add any optional seasonings you like. Add shredded cheese. Stir til cheese is melted and sauce is smooth. Serve with pasta of your choice.

For super easy and seriously tasty mac n cheese, simply replace the white cheeses with cheddar and/or colby. Increase the ratio of cheese to cream (ie: 1/2 cup cheese, 1/4 to 1/2 cup cream).
            You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Ok, here's another one before I go to bed. This one is fairly time intensive (marinates for a while, and the prep can take a good amount of time) but it is delicious! If you've ever seen the movie Once Upon A Time in Mexico, this is the meal that Johnny Depp's character orders at every restaurant.

Puerco Pibil

Ingredients:

5-6 pounds pork shoulder/butt
              5 tablespoons annatto seeds
              2 teaspoons cumin seeds
              1 tablespoon black peppercorns
              1/2 teaspoon whole cloves
              8 whole allspice
              2 habanero peppers, cleaned and chopped (Optional alternates, serrano, red fresno, and poblano peppers all work well while being less spicy if you don't like the heat)
              1/2 cup orange juice
              1/2 cup white vinegar
              8 gloves garlic, minced
              2 tablespoons kosher salt
              5 lemons, juiced
              1-2 glug(s) tequila (optional)

Directions

1. Cut pork into 1 or 2 inch cubes and place into either a gallon zip lock bag, or large tupperware (I prefer the latter, to avoid leakage)

2. Optional, save the bone from the pork and wrap it in saran wrap; when you cook the meat, throw in the bone for added flavor.

3. Grind spices in a coffee grinder (fresh-ground spices will taste much richer than pre-ground, but that works as well. That said, my measurements above are all for unground spices).

4. Put liquid ingredients into a blender, then add ground spices and blend together; pour blended mix of spices into the bag/container with the pork, and allow to marinate for at least 8 hours (can go up to 24, but the longer it sits, the more acidic it will taste thanks to the vinegar and orange juice).

5. Preheat oven to 325 degrees fahrenheit.

6. There are two options for cooking: option one is to wrap meat and marinade in heavy duty foil and place in a roasting pan; option two, if you have a Dutch Oven, is to just dump everything in there, cover, and cook (I use option two, because it's easier, and I have an awesome Dutch Oven to use ). Cook for 4 hours at 325.

7. If you used the bone, remove it when ready to serve. Meal works great with corn/rice tortillas, Mexican or Spanish style rice, and cooked vegetables - I prefer cooked onions, green and red bell peppers, or you can try pan-seared mangos and papaya for a unique blend of tastes.

This recipe takes some planning to do right, but it is always a favorite of ours...every time I make it, people have licked their plates afterward just to get every bit of it down. Cutting the pork can be a pain if you're not good at it (I suck at it), but it's worth it in the end.

Alternatively, this recipe works good with chicken as well, but the bird meat seems to absorb more of the liquid than pork, so you'll get a bit drier meal. It will still taste great, but the leftovers may not keep quite as well (I'm not 100% sure, since we've always eaten the whole pot, and hurt ourselves willingly doing so )

Quoth BroSCFischer View Post
              Yep. I started The CS Recipe Exchange Corner about a year and a half ago.

SC
              I knew there was a post out there somewhere...let us continue the sharing though, since that one's closed LET THERE BE FOOD!

Comment

Cookies (none of these are mine):

Chocolate/Almond/Raspberry Cookies
                They are dead simple and taste like rainbow cookies, what more could you ask for?

From Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook, page 234 (you can
                actually find this page, and others from the book, on Google Books if
                you're interested).

Makes 2 Dozen

Time: 35 Minutes

1/2 cup raspberry preserves (I substitute other red jams/preserves as I have, and just break up large clumps)
                1 cup sugar
                1/3 cup canola oil (butter works just as well if you don't care about vegan-ism)
                1 tsp pure vanilla extract
                1 tsp almond extract
                1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder (sifted if clumpy)
                1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
                3/4 tsp baking soda
                1/4 tsp salt

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease cookie sheet.

In a large mixing bowl, stir together the raspberry preserves, sugar,
                canola oil, vanilla, and almond extract.

In a separate mixing bowl, sift together the other ingredients. Add
                the dry to the wet in three batches, mixing well with a fork after
                each addition. When you get to the last batch, you may need to use
                your hands to work the batter into a soft and pliable dough.

Roll the dough into walnut-size balls and then flatten them with your
                hands into 2 1/2-inch-diameter disks. Place on a cookie sheet (they
                need be only 1/2 inch apart because they don't spread out when
                baking). Bake for 10 minutes.

Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Transfer to a
                cooling rack to cool completely. You can also serve these cookies
                still warm over a scoop of ice cream. Or three.

Suvarovs
                This is an XMass tradition from my GF's family. They are simply amazing. They are also HUGELY labor intensive (though Silpats make them much easier).

2 1/2 cups flour
                2 sticks sweet butter
                1/3 cup ground blanched almonds (purchased from Nuts Online)
                1/3 cup sugar
                1 tsp. grated lemon rind
                1 tsp. vanilla extract
                strawberry preserves (Or other red berries, again, worth whisking with a fork till it's fine)

Have ingredients at room temperature. Knead all ingredients
                together until dough holds together without sticking to your hands
                (add more flour if needed). Divide dough in half, place each half
                between 2 large sheets of wax or parchment paper. Roll out to 1/8
                inch thick. Keeping paper in place, layer the rolled dough on a
                baking sheet and refrigerate (or put in freezer) until cold and firm
                but not brittle.

Preheat oven to 350o. Grease cookie sheets, or use Silpats - they’re
                great! Working with 1 portion of dough at a time, gently peel away
                and replace 1 sheet of the paper. Peel away and discard the
                second sheet. Cut out cookies using circular cutter (a medium-sized
                biscuit cutter works well). With a spatula, transfer cookies to cookie
                sheets. Roll the dough scraps and continue cutting out cookies until
                dough is used up.

Bake in upper third of oven, one cookie sheet at a time, until
                cookies are lightly colored but not brown, approx. 6-9 minutes. Let
                cool until cookies are firm before removing from cookie sheet.

When cookies have cooled completely, stick two each together
                with strawberry preserves. Glaze with orange glaze (mix a little
                orange juice with powdered sugar to make a thick but spreadable
                icing) on one side, let dry, glaze other side and again dry. Store in
                airtight container.
                Last edited by thansal; 02-06-2013, 06:36 PM.

Comment

And now to ruin everyone's diet. I love making this with my grandmother whenever I go to visit.

5 Minute Chocolate Mug Cake

I will not be held responsible for any weight gain.
                  Last edited by Eevie; 02-07-2013, 08:43 PM.
                  Some people just need a high five...

In the face with the back of a chair....

Comment

Quoth Eevie View Post
                    And now to ruin everyone's diet. I love making this with my grandmother whenever I go to visit.

5 Minute Chocolate Mug Cake

I will not be held responsible for any weight gain.
                    I love that recipie. It goes great with a bit of cream, icecream or custard paticularly while still warm

Comment

Cuban Midnight Sandwich

This may not be a true "Media Noche" recipe, but it's damn tasty, so I make it a lot. As a bonus, if you make some pulled pork, it works great with this (a lot of time I'll make a huge batch of BBQ pork one night, and set aside some non-BBQ'd pork for sandwiches the next night). This recipe is for 4 sandwiches, adjust as necessary. Very easy to make if you have a panini press, or you can use a heated skillet and a plate lined with foil to press the sandwiches.

Ingredients

1 cup mayonnaise (regular or Lite is OK)
                      5 tablespoons Italian dressing
                      4 tablespoons prepared mustard* (See Below)
                      1/2 to 1 pound sliced deli turkey
                      1/2 to 1 pound sliced cooked ham
                      1/2 to 1 pound sliced swiss cheese
                      1 cup dill pickle slices
                      1/2 cup olive oil
                      4 hoagie rolls, sliced open
                      Optional: Pulled pork, as mentioned above
                      Optional: Can cook up some onions to add to this as well. A little garlic never hurt anyone here either, but I prefer just doing onions if I'm doing additions.

*In regards to "prepared mustard", I like to use a spicier mustard, then grind up some anatto seeds to mix in. This gives it a pretty deep flavor IMO, and helps make the dish. Doesn't take much anatto to work either, so it's easy.

Directions

1. Mix the dressing and mayonnaise in a small cup/mixing bowl, then spread the combined mixture on the hoagie rolls. Spread each roll with the mustard as well.

2. On each roll, arrange the sandwich in the following: one layer of cheese, one of turkey, one of ham, (optional pulled pork there), a pickle or two, another layer of turkey, and another layer of cheese. I tend to put the pickle in the middle so it doesn't spontaneously eject. Once you have all the meat in, press the rolls together.

3. Lightly coat the outside of each roll with a brushing of olive oil, to prevent the buns from burning or sticking to the pan.

4. (Use this step if you don't have a Panini Press...if you have one, just use it here) Heat a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, and place the sandwiches in the skillet. Using a plate lined with tin foil, press down on the sandwiches from above to compress them for about 1-2 minutes, then flip and repeat. You're aiming for roughly the moment where the cheese begins to melt.

5. Remove from heat, place on plates, cut in half diagonally, and enjoy.

Comment

Quoth dawnfire View Post
                        I love that recipie. It goes great with a bit of cream, icecream or custard paticularly while still warm
                        I know! It's so nice to have on a cold day! I have so many happy memories associated with this recipe. Cold, rainy days are when my grandmother and I would make these. We would just sit and talk about stories when she was my age. I would talk to her about my life at school. I guess that's why I love rain so much, and chocolate. Things like that are just so precious. I don't get to see my grandmother very much anymore, because of the distance we live. She doesn't have the strength for the trip. All the more reason to make these kinds of memories while I still can.
                        Some people just need a high five...

In the face with the back of a chair....

Comment

My name is Food Lady, so I must post this pot pie I made yesterday/today (overnight in the slow cooker).

Mushroom Pot Pie

3 cups cooked cubed chicken, seitan, or other chicken subtitute
                          3 cups peeled, cubed potatoes
                          1 small yellow onion, diced fairly small
                          6 large white mushroom caps, quartered
                          4 cups chicken or chicken-style vegetable stock (I like Massel cubes in water)
                          1 teaspoon celery salt or 1/2 tsp salt + 1/2 tsp ground celery seed
                          1/2 tsp black pepper
                          1 large bay leaf

1 cup all-purpose flour
                          1 cup 2% or whole milk
                          2 cups frozen peas

1 recipe of you favorite pie crust, baked on a baking sheet and broken into serving-sized pieces

Put chicken, potatoes, onion, mushrooms, stock, celery salt, pepper, and bay leaf in slow cooker. Cook for 7 to 9 hours on low or 4 to 5 on high. Remove bay leaf and turn up to high heat if you have had it on low. Blend together milk and flour and pour into the slow cooker. Add peas and stir. Cook about 20 minutes, stirring a couple of times. Pour into soup mugs or ramekins and top with pieces of crust. The seasonings are much more spare than what I normally employ, and yet this recipe is so much better.

Comment

That pot pie sounds awesome...I wonder how it would be with chicken. I've been trying to master chicken pot pie for years (it's one of my favorites), but I can never seem to get it quite right...

Comment

I think seitan is pretty close in texture and mouthfeel to chicken, so it would work. I adapted it from an omnivore recipe, actually. The origional recipe calls for pre-cooked chicken, but this recipe details how to do it with raw chicken: http://www.onelovelylife.com/?p=4427 I just randomly searched, looking for a method I'd heard about. I've never seen this recipe before, but the method is what I was after.

Also, refined coconut oil--which is tasteless--makes great crust without having to use hydrogenated oil. I think a co/butter combination would be good.
                              Last edited by Food Lady; 02-11-2013, 07:04 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X