This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• giving up diet sodas

Ever since I was 12, I was around a lot of diet sodas and aside from Sprite/Sierra Mist/ 7-Up, I only drank them. Constantly (Diet Coke and Diet Dr. Pepper are my faves)

I know its horrid for me, and its not helping me exercise or stay healthy, so I decided, aside from the occasional sprite or so, I'm staying away from all dark sodas.

I'm drinking more teas and juices, and even then I'm trying to find a good artificial sweetener.

(For barley/genmai/jasmine/hoji tea, I don't sweeten)

It feels weird to be snacking on my favorite sunflower seeds without the diet coke though, but its a first step. D:

well i have heard that the artificial sweeteners increase hunger although i do like diet sodas myself.

for tea - if you don't want to use artificial sweetener, how about adding a touch of juice instead?

although remember juice itself can have just as many calories as soda (in some cases it has *more*). It may be better to eat the fruit itself & get the fiber.

Comment

I'm going to do more research, tho. I like usually equal or splenda, but since most tea I drink does not require it anyways, it should be fine.

I'm really bummed though, I'm craving diet coke soooo bad.

I'm watching out for juices too..i prefer to dilute them with water anyways

Comment

Stevia is probably the healthiest artificial sweetener, since unlike the others, it's not a sugar alcohol, but made from a naturally sweet plant. It's also sold under the brand Truvia.

Comment

Try the Robinson's juice concentrates. No added sugars, so they are lower calorie/carbohydrates than most.
          Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
          Save the Ales!
          Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Artificial sweeteners do not help you lose weight. People who drink diet sodas are just as likely to be heavy as those who drink regular soda. There are two reasons: one, because any kind of soda decreases your sense of being full, leading you to eat more.

Second, you trade off calories for sodium in massive amounts.

If you want to lose weight, you should not drink any kind of sugary drink. This includes any kind of soda, sweetened tea, lemonade, power drinks (Gatorade, Powerade), and juices (which are more sugar than anything). Water is the best thing to drink. Adding a bit of lemon adds a bit of flavor with minimal calories.

That being said . . . I love my soda. I'll give it up for awhile, then break down and drink it again.

Time to give it up again . . . .
            They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
              If you want to lose weight, you should not drink any kind of sugary drink. This includes any kind of soda, sweetened tea, lemonade, power drinks (Gatorade, Powerade), and juices (which are more sugar than anything). Water is the best thing to drink. Adding a bit of lemon adds a bit of flavor with minimal calories.

That being said . . . I love my soda. I'll give it up for awhile, then break down and drink it again.

Time to give it up again . . . .
              I did some research, and the japanese teas I already drink without being sweet do wonders too

I'm only using artificial sweetener rarely, so its okay.

I stopped drinking gatorade/powerade unless I am dehydrated, and even then I dilute it with water.

I increased my water intake as well. And since then, with water or barley tea, my bladder problem I got since I was a child happens less (YAYYYY TMI)

Comment

Try agave syrup. Supposedly it doesn't boost your blood sugar.
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I've cut way back on my Diet Coke consumption as well, mainly because it exacerbates my GERD. I've been a lot more comfortable this last week drinking just water. I think because soda makes me belch, it brings up stomach acid, which causes heartburn. And caffeine makes heartburn worse too.
                  "If you pray very hard, you can become a cat person." -Angela, "The Office"

Comment

oh and - well something i should do myself - but if you drink 8 glasses of water a day (64 oz) or more, then you pretty much don't need lotions either.

last time i did that i was peeing all the time, sure, but my skin was extremely soft.

Comment

It's probably going to be better for you if you give up all sodas. I did it about 6 years ago, and haven't regretted it at all. I've gone to primarily water, juices, and tea.

Well, I haven't given them up entirely. I do make my own Ginger Ale (I believe in some parts of the world it's called "Ginger Beer", but I think it's the same stuff) from time to time.
                      Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

I gave up sodas for a while. It took me a while to adjust to it, but it went well... but then the soda fountain at the wholesale club was swapped out for a different one, without a water option. I didn't want to shell out more money for bottled water, or refill it from the water fountain or plain tap. So I relapsed to drinking soda.

I almost cut it out again after I started my new job, but I couldn't pull it off, because I was working mornings, and needed the caffeine.

That said, I'm working afternoons/evenings now, so I'm going to try cutting out soda as much as possible now.
                        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

It's sometimes very hard to give up things. I am supposed to give up sweets, soda, bread..and a lot more. I am doing better, but it is a day to day process. I'm much like an addict that way, sometimes I fail..but have to get back on the wagon and keep trying.
                          Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Its only been about five days...and I'm craving a diet soda like a mofo.

I heard someone say they could be addicting, as in, for real, but I forgot how. Can someone enlighten me?

Comment

for me it's usually the carbonation itself that's addictive, and the sweetness. the carbonation cuts through to the tongue faster in my opinion - and carbonation also helps chemicals enter your blood stream faster. (like how alka seltzer works)

in comparison regular water has no flavor or sweetness, and can feel kinda flat, cos there's no bubbles etc.

Plus, for me at least, if i drink a *lot* of water it starts to taste kinda … dry. I kinda wonder if maybe I should add a touch of salt to make it closer to the saline content in blood. but i usually don't try.

Comment

Working...
                              X