Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you guys handle a third cell phone question?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you guys handle a third cell phone question?

We are looking for a new phone for my boyfriend's mother. Her phone is on his account, and he has Red Checkmark. She's 84 years old with failing eyesight, but she doesn't really have any trouble hitting buttons or generally managing things with her hands. She still lives on her own and is generally good health other than the eyesight thing.

She's pretty inept with computers, but considering her age, does pretty good as long as somebody holds her hand through teaching her basic stuff. She uses Facebook and email reasonably well, and sometimes even surfs the net successfully to find what she's looking for.

My first thought was something like an iPhone 6 Plus or a Galaxy tablet/phone (can't remember what it's called) because of the screen size and accessibility options (I know iPhone has some neat options, and I'm assuming android would have something similar.) But I'm not sure how much she'd use the features of a smart phone and would have a difficult time justifying the cost. She'd use it as a phone, maybe a little texting, and probably would enjoy being able to receive pictures of her grandkids and great grandkids.

I'm not sure what else is out there for options for somebody with her needs. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by mathnerd; 06-27-2015, 10:12 PM.
    At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

If she's open to using a good ol' dumbphone, I would like top submit one for consideration: I use Alcatel's "Big Easy Flip" model -- It has oversized buttons/numbers/letters and a decently loud speaker, with MicroSD card support (for uploading your own MP3 ringtones and pics), should it be needed. No FB or true internet or anything like that (the web browser is a joke); it has a little camera but it's rather crappy. I use it because I have big hands and bad eyesight, and it works for me It's intended for use with pre-paid plans such as SmartTalk or the free government cell service, tho I'm sure it works with most others. When open, the light given off by the screen at its default setting is bright enough to illuminate the keys (the keys themselves do not light up) or to use as a low-power ersatz flashlight. Lasts forever, too. I normally get 5 days off of one charge when talking and texting. Main caveat is that it can receive and send MMS/multimedia messages, but I can never seem to download ones I've received; I suspect that that's due to my service provider more than anything, as I can send pics just fine.

Readily available for around $30 at WM/KM/'Zon/etc, and it generally comes with a double-purchased minutes deal for the life of the phone (applies to prepaid through that one service only).
    Last edited by EricKei; 06-27-2015, 10:18 PM.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

If you're planning on getting her a Galaxy, you might want to look at the S4 or S5 instead of the S6. Even though the list price doesn't drop, cell carriers offer them at a really good price with a contract. When I was getting my phone, I overheard a salesperson talking to another customer. Can't recall if it was the S4 or S5, but one was being offered as a zero-dollar phone. Alternatively you could get a used one - a couple generations old drops the price substantially, and she wouldn't need cutting edge technology for what she needs the phone for.

Bear in mind that a large-format smartphone can be inconvenient to carry. Also, I shouldn't need to mention this, but be sure to get a good case and screen protector.
      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Cost isn't really a problem for her. She might say it is, but it's not. Lemme put it this way: she lives in a 5 bedroom/3 bath house is an exclusive suburb of LA (and the house is paid off). She's nervous to spend too much money because based on family history, we can expect her to live in good health for another 10-15 years, so she's tight fisted because she doesn't want to run out of money. Not a bad way to be, but she can afford the list price on all the major high end smart phones.

At this point, I think we're leaning towards the iPhone 6 (not the 6 plus), because it offers a good compromise between screen size and physical size. Her daughters that live close enough to help her out both have iPhones, so they're in a better position to help her figure out how to use an iPhone over a Galaxy, and at least in my opinion, the iPhone is more intuitive than the Galaxy and less likely to confuse her.

I wish Red Checkmark offered something like what EricKei suggested. That would be perfect, but none of the dumb phone options they have are like that.

And yes, a good case (OtterBox Defender Series, if I get my way), is non-negotiable. The reason she needs a new phone is she broke her old one dropping it down the stairs.
        At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Quoth mathnerd View Post
          And yes, a good case (OtterBox Defender Series, if I get my way), is non-negotiable. The reason she needs a new phone is she broke her old one dropping it down the stairs.
          Don't know if you're aware of it, but OtterBox offers an "extra battery" version of the Defender for some phones (iPhone 6 is one of them, 6 Plus isn't - that's why I got a Mophie JuicePack case).
          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

If you consider Droid phones as well, I'd suggest a phone in the Sony Z series. Not as expensive as an iPhone, have a good battery life (especially if you go with Z3 or the new one, Z3+), a big easy-readable screen and sturdy as hell, even without an OtterBox. (I'd guess that a Z3 Compact + an OtterBox case = almost as indestructable as a Nokia 9510 )
            A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

Quoth mathnerd View Post
              We are looking for a new phone for my boyfriend's mother. Her phone is on his account, and he has Red Checkmark. She's 84 years old with failing eyesight, but she doesn't really have any trouble hitting buttons or generally managing things with her hands. She still lives on her own and is generally good health other than the eyesight thing.

She's pretty inept with computers, but considering her age, does pretty good as long as somebody holds her hand through teaching her basic stuff. She uses Facebook and email reasonably well, and sometimes even surfs the net successfully to find what she's looking for.

My first thought was something like an iPhone 6 Plus or a Galaxy tablet/phone (can't remember what it's called) because of the screen size and accessibility options (I know iPhone has some neat options, and I'm assuming android would have something similar.) But I'm not sure how much she'd use the features of a smart phone and would have a difficult time justifying the cost. She'd use it as a phone, maybe a little texting, and probably would enjoy being able to receive pictures of her grandkids and great grandkids.

I'm not sure what else is out there for options for somebody with her needs. Any thoughts?
              This is a tough one. I gave my 86-year-old dad my old big-button flip phone, and he's happy as a clam with it. I don't think he'd be willing to "learn" to use a smart phone (he regularly gripes about how everyone today always has their face stuck in their smart phone). But if you think your boyfriend's 84-year-old mother would be willing to try a smart phone, I'd recommend getting one from Republic Wireless... if she has wifi at her house (Republic phones work primarily on wifi but also on Sprint/Verizon, and they offer very inexpensive monthly plans). It would be an inexpensive way for her to try out a smart phone. You can get their Moto G for $149, and they have a $10/mo unlimited talk and text plus free internet over wifi, or you can pay a bit more to add cellular data (via Sprint). The key is that a smart phone and plan doesn't have to be that expensive, and it could be a great way for her to try a smart phone. If you'd like to know more, we've had three Moto G smart phone with Republic Wireless for a year. Republic isn't for everyone, especially people that have to have an iPhone. I think they can't be beat for parents who need an inexpensive smart phone for their kid (we started with Republic when we needed a phone for our 13-year old daughter), but I'm not sure about for older people (especially if they are anti-computers and anti-smart phones like my dad). Anyway, just thought I'd suggest you consider them, though there are lots of other options out there as well.
              By the way, what is Red Checkmark? Is that a cell phone company?

Comment

Quoth EyeAgree View Post
                By the way, what is Red Checkmark? Is that a cell phone company?
                Most people tend to shy away from using the actual names of companies. Red Checkmark refers to the logo of one of the national companies (and if you see "Deathstar Wireless, again, try to picture the logos of large, American cellphone companies).

We keep playing around with various options, but we keep coming back to the iPhone 6. And it has to be Red Checkmark. BF wants to keep his mother's phone on his account, but more importantly, even though she lives in a suburb of one of the largest US cities, the only cell phone carrier that has any service at her house is that one. Actually, that particular issue played into my decision to transfer my own service to them (I'd had Deathstar for years and never had any issue with them, but in the end, signal coverage led to me switching).

BF's been leaving the hands-on part of this to his sisters. I keep trying to convince him that we need to go spend a few days there and let her play with my phone a little bit to see if she could learn iOS without too much frustration. We also need to replace her computer, which BF has been keeping barely alive since Christmas (yay for teamviewier!), so we need to get that done anyway. We might as well do it all at once.

Comment

Ok, I get the reference to Red Checkmark and Deathstar Wireless. I should have guessed! Deathstar is so appropriate! If you have to stick with Red Checkmark, I would still recommend the Moto G (if they offer it). It's an amazing value and does everything I think your boyfriend's mom would ever need. It's just a shame if you have to get stuck with a new two year contract to get it. It's also an Android-based phone... if the people who are going to show her how to use are only familiar with Apple iPhones that might be an issue.
                  By the way, I also live where we only get reliable cellular service from two of the four big guys. We actually left Deathstar Wireless because they sold off the tower that was giving us a signal. A huge benefit of having a cell phone that works on wireless like we do now is that we don't have to worry about not having a signal.
                  Anyway, good luck on the computer! I dread the idea of replacing my own computer, and would even more dread replacing someone else's computer...

Comment

I agree that the iPhone 6 would be a good choice - and they are very user friendly, with lots of display options. I've had both the otterbox and the lifeproof cases - I use lifeproof now because its waterproof and the otter box doesn't have a waterproof option. But the otterbox has more padding for drop protection.

Comment

Working...
                    X