This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange Situation

Hubby and I decided we wanted a new apartment. After much searching, we decided on a pretty spacious 1 bedroom privately owned apartment and submitted our application. Today Hubby got a call from the property management company saying that the owner doesn't think that the 1 bedroom could fit two people, but he was willing to cut us a deal on a 2 bedroom apartment at the same complex (it's a 6 apartment building lol). Seemed kinda strange because we're married so it's not like we're going to be putting 2 beds into the place, and it is a pretty spacious place. Hubby said we'd consider the offer overnight and look at the place tomorrow before any decisions were made.

I've never rented a privately owned property, but since it's managed by a pretty big property management company, I didn't think it would be much different than working with an apartment complex.

Hubby talked to our apartment locator today, who is going to take us to see the apartment. Apparently someone else also put in an application for the same unit, and that application is just for 1 person. We're figuring that instead of giving one of us the 1 bedroom, denying the other person and still having the 2 bedroom on the market, they (the owner or the property management company) made up this story to get us to take the bigger unit.

Should I be more concerned about this? We've got other places that we would be happy with, but we loved the unit we saw and we don't have anything against a 2 bedroom place. The price for the 2 bedroom is pretty fair and we'd be signing a year lease so it wouldn't change. Assuming the apartment we see tomorrow is the same as the one we saw (in the same tiny building), we're probably going to take the offer. I don't love being manipulated but the end result (if I take it at face value) seems to work out well for us.

That sounds funky to me too. Since when cant two people, especially a couple, fit into a one bedroom apt?

I agree with you though. If the apt is nice and the price is right, go for it. You'll have more space and a hobby/game/guest room to boot.

Comment

I agree with Amina. If the price is right and the unit is in reasonably good repair, consider it. FWIW, I've known couples who live quite fine in efficiencies (i.e. closets with kitchenettes).
      I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
      -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Yeahhhhh... they'd only suggest that if they had other plans. Seriously. Anyway, if you plan for a child, pet, guests, games, anything-- it'd be nice. See if you can get them to knock down the price, or move somewhere else-- or just confront them about it. See what happens. This is going to be your home. Dubious management is ... BAD~!
        >_>
        "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
        "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Working...
        X