This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adult ADD

Really beginning to feel like I ought to talk to my doctor when I go in next week about this.. I've taken a few online self-test things, for "hey should you chat at your doctor?" and every time I get a do not walk, run..
    It embarrasses me to talk about, though.. Any tips on bringing it up to the doc without feeling kinda stupid? 'cause "oh by the way I think I've got ADD" isn't feeling so hot.. but it's really beginning to bother me that I can't remember anything, can't focus, can't concentrate..
    "If looks could really kill, my occupation would be staring" Brand New - I Will Play My Game Beneath The Spin Light

Many of those sites will over-diagnose for CYOA reasons. It's a lot harder to sue someone for sending you to the doctor when nothing is wrong than it is when they don't tell you to see a doctor when something is wrong.

It isn't easy to live with (I know!) and it scan be very frustrating.

You can talk to your doctor about it but be careful about overmedicating and fully research any medication he suggests before starting on it.
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

I have adult ADHD and it felt awkward bringing it up to my doc. I ended up just telling her that I felt these symptoms, took these tests, etc., and asked her what she thought. I asked if it could be something else or if these tests were worth anything. It's important that you bring it up, though.

I second what draggar said about fully researching any meds they want to give you. They ended up prescribing me stuff with side effects that sounded like other conditions I already had. Like I needed to make those worse! Remember, in the end you're in control. I currently manage mine without meds. Environment and diet is important for that to be successful for me. It doesn't work that way for everyone. Don't be afraid to get a second opinion if you don't like the way things are going.
      The original Cookie in a multitude of cookies.

Comment

Believe it or not I've found caffeine pills can really help.

I know, it's quite odd but they did.
        Quote Dalesys:
        ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

I believe that, Draggar. Stimulants often have an opposite effect on ADHD folks. One cup of coffee and it's straight to bed for me.
          The original Cookie in a multitude of cookies.

Comment

With me, they didn't diagnose it until after they diagnosed my oldest son. We were all sitting around chatting with the doctor when he mentioned that it is often hereditary. Suddenly, everyone stopped what they were doing and looked at me...

Comment

i find that coffee often puts me to sleep.. people think it's odd I'll drink a cup before bed..
              "If looks could really kill, my occupation would be staring" Brand New - I Will Play My Game Beneath The Spin Light

Comment

There are crazy-a lot of resources out there! I have a borderline case of it... Thank JESUS. I'd ... I really don't know what I'd do if it was any worse.
                http://www.flylady.net/pages/About.asp
                and
                http://www.additudemag.com/
                might help. Straighten out your diet, get exercise, sleep on a schedule... take vitamins and eat your roughage all that healthy stuff. People who aren't neurotypical, like ADD/H people, are sensitive to that stuff-- and, even if it doesn't help the ADD, it will make you overall more healthy! WIN.
                Also, look up the Feingold 'diet.' It doesn't hurt to try, and for some people, it does help. It centers around salicyilates (sp!) and posits that some medical issues may be exacerbated or even outright caused by this very common chemical. I'm not desperate enough to get rid of my beloved apples, chilies, or tomatoes; but ditching artificial stuff is good anyway.
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feingold_diet
                http://www.feingold.org/
                remember, please, that no matter how awful you get with forgetting, 'being lazy,' and outright screwing up... there are people who care about you. Get hugs from them. And, get help. Push yourself to get it, because I know for my own problems, I laze about it. I shouldn't.
                EDIT: I take a near-"overdose" of B12, D3, and Folate (B6?). These help and make me feel better, I notice when I don't. (under a doc's supervision, natch) Drink water, make sure you're getting at least 50 oz of clear liquids, preferably water, because fruit juices are high in sugars that make your blood sugar go nuts up and down and that doesn't feel good.
                "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
                "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Working...
                X