This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selling on Ebay

Gosh, it's been ages since I have posted on here. I often visit for a quick squiz at the posts, but I've been out of customer service for a while.

Anyways, onto my question. I've already posted this add up on Ebay, but I was just curious because I think I sound really harsh in the way I've written the add. But I'm really trying to cover my ass so that people don't come around and give me bad feedback because I didn't make myself clear enough. I've seen it WAY to many times when I check peoples feedback, customers having a whine about cost of shipping or the person not accepting refunds when the sellers have put in EVERY add all the information about refunds and postage very clearly!

I've read and re-read the refund policy on Ebay for Australia, and as far as I can see you do not have to offer a refund IF the item is being Auctioned. However, if you are selling the item from a store or company you do. Is this wrong?

I've basically said that I'm getting rid of this item, that it is used, have listen any and all faults (with photos) and I will not accept any refunds for it. I've underlined bolded and repeated this fact a few times. But I just have this feeling in my gut that the person (if anyone does bid and win) will have a fit when they get it and it's "not what they wanted" and I refuse to take it back and refund it. I don't want to be a sucky seller, but I don't want to have to deal with refunding and all that rubbish for only a few dollars.

I'm new to selling on ebay :S please if you have any hints please tell me. I guess this is a dry run, if it doesn't sell then maybe I need to re-think things.
    I am evil, I should change my middle name legally TO evil, I'm proud of my evilness! Makes life fun! bwhaha

If you're accepting paypal as a payment option, you do give refunds, contrary to anything you may have stated in your listing.

The buyer would have the opportunity to open a dispute with ebay and paypal if they wanted to, and also be able to do a chargeback if they paid with a credit card through paypal. Their policies override yours.

If you don't want to worry about issuing refunds, you really shouldn't be selling on ebay.

Also, by stating "no refunds" several times in bold type, you're probably not going to sell that item anyway since it makes you appear difficult to deal with. And since this is your first time selling it also makes you look like you have no clue how ebay actually works. Bidders do notice these things.

Sorry if this is harsh, but it doesn't sound like you're off to a great start.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

You seem ready to do the best thing you can do, cover your rear end. Document everything, pictures, tracking numbers, emails, communications, etc..

Ant negative feedback and PayPal disputes can be fought, and removed if proven you're not at fault.
      Quote Dalesys:
      ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post

Sorry if this is harsh, but it doesn't sound like you're off to a great start.
        All good, harsh is fine, if it needs to be said it needs to be said. Unfortunatly you really have no chioce in the matter if you use paypal or not. I've asked for cash on pick up and said that is prefered method of payment but I know it won't stop people from paying with paypal if they want to.

Dragger: I do want to do the right thing which is why I asked. I don't want an unhappy buyer, specially on my first go.

I might go back and re-write what I've said so that I don't come off as such an asshole. But I want to make sure I've covered myself in case of assholes as well. I've been as descriptive as I can be in regards to any and all faults, I know I hate it when I've got something and I've taken it home to find all these marks and stains that were not stated in the description.
        I am evil, I should change my middle name legally TO evil, I'm proud of my evilness! Makes life fun! bwhaha

Comment

Personally, I never offer refunds. I explain the item, the condition, the wear and tear, what it's been near, etc. as best as I can so people know what they can expect.

Case in point...I customize plush toys. If it's of a copyrighted character, I make sure to say I am not claiming ownership of the character itself. I explain that the customization is one of a kind. I explain the doll is not a bootleg. I explain what materials and substances I used to customize the thing (paint, glue, etc.) I tell them the toy is not meant to be manhandled and is for display purposes only. I tell them the doll shares a house with cats, but does not come into direct contact with them (a.k.a. allergy warning).

As far as refunds, I tell people there are no refunds on the doll...no money back if they play with it violently and it falls apart. No refunds if they have an allergic reaction to the doll. No refunds if they don't like it because I explained everything AND said I would answer additional questions. No refunds if they choose to do shit I specifically said not to do and the outcome is the very same.

I also do this to cover my ass so no one bids, wins, and then bitches it's not what they expected it to be. I have 100% positive feedback, so that likely helps too. And I've never had any issue with saying "no refunds" about any of my items, customized or otherwise. Trust me, if someone wants the item bad enough, the won't care how harsh an item description may sound. They will see a thing they want and maybe see how good your feedback is...maybe not even the latter. That's all they need to bid.

Comment

Working...
          X