Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2014 Christmas Card Exchange - Tallies are closed. Thanks for playing!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2014 Christmas Card Exchange - Tallies are closed. Thanks for playing!

Hello and Merry Whatever-You-Celebrate! Yes, it’s that time again! If you’re new here, here’s the deal:

Every year, a number of us exchange Christmas Cards with fellow CS members across the globe. We collect sign ups from people each year, compile a list, send it out in early November, and then we flood the hell out of each other's mailboxes with Christmas cheer.

So, the timeline: You have until Saturday, November 1st to sign up, and then you'll be able to see how many people are planning to participate, and if you decide you can't handle that many, you’ll have until November 8th to opt out. The list will then automatically be emailed to everyone once the opt out period closes. Sound good? Then click the link at the end of this post and sign up!

Now, for a quick FAQ List...

Can I make my own cards, or do they have to be store bought?
    Either way. Whatever jingles your bells.

Religious Themes: Yay or Nay?
    Again, it doesn't matter. This event is about friendship and holiday cheer.

If I sign up, do I have to send a card to EVERYONE?
    YES, and in a timely manner too. I cannot stress this enough. It is selfish, rude, and seriously unfair to sign up and get cards from everyone else and not send any of your own. If you wish to only send cards to a select few members of the CS community, please make such plans on your own.

Are e-cards allowed?
    No. Once the final list goes out, this becomes a snail mail event. Postcards are allowed, however, if you wish to save a few pennies on postage.

What happens if I sign up and don't send out my cards/don't send out my cards until after the Easter Bunny has visited?
    People who sign up and don't follow through make Baby Jesus cry and thus, are automatically placed on Santa's Naughty List for the next year. Oh, and on my naughty list as well. No-shows are banned from participating in future events. This is why tallying the cards you receive is so important – it makes sure everyone gets credit and no one gets banned when they don't deserve it.

But what if an emergency comes up and I can't?
    I'm not an unreasonable person, and we’ve found that most members of CS that participate are very accommodating. If an emergency comes up, all I ask is that you PLEASE let me know. I will handle things accordingly and you will not be penalized in any way.

How many people will sign up?
    It varies. As the CS community gets larger with each year, the list grows as well. We've had everywhere from 20-60 members sign up in previous years. Unfortunately, my crystal ball hasn't been working lately like it should, so I can't tell for certain how many of you will sign up this year.

We've been using our new sign up method for a couple years now and it works pretty well. The best part is that it features an "Opt Out" period. Sign Ups close on November 1st, but the Opt Out period is available until November 8th, so if the list swells to an amazingly large number of people and it is no longer feasible for you to participate, you have the option of dropping out before I finalize the list. Once I finalize the list, however, you're in it for the long haul. Also, I can't change your information in the system, so please, please, please make sure your address is complete and correct before hitting the submit button (please?). (PLEASE NOTE: You will NOT be able to submit your sign up unless your address and email information is complete. Please be thorough! And hey! Now’s a great time to make sure your email address in your profile is correct, because that is the email the list will be sent to. Go to the UserCP link at the top of the CS page to update.)

How much is postage?
    It depends on where you live, how many people have signed up, and how many of the cards you send will be international. In the past, the majority of participants have been in the US, plus a handful in Canada and the UK, and occasionally a few other far-flung places. As a courtesy, we have provided links to the US, UK, Canadian, NZ, Australian, and South African post offices on the official sign up page. If you are signing up from somewhere else and think we should add your country’s postal service, please send me a link.

Suggestion from our resident Postal Worker: If you are in the US, please go to USPS.com and get your +4 zip code. This makes the zip code 9 digits long and looks like 12345-6789. This should help stop some of the missing ones we get every year from going missing because the computer has more info. If you go to that link and enter your street address, it will give you the complete, standard format for your address. Use that format when you sign up and things just might go that much more smoothly. (Thanks for the suggestion, Aethian!) If you have already signed up, you can log back into the signup tool, click on "2014 Christmas Card Exchange," and there should be an option to update your address as long as the signup period is still open.

It's asking me to login with a username and password. Are those the same as my CS user name and password?
    Yes.

I tried to sign up, but didn't get the "activation" email/The final list never showed up in my mailbox!
    Check your spam box. If you still have trouble, let us know.

How do I share my joy in having received a card from someone?
    When you get a card, log into the card page, click the Tally up! link, and check off that person’s name to let us all know you’ve received their card. This also lets me see if anyone has not sent their cards, so please make sure you tally all your cards and give your fellow CSers the credit they are due! You’ll have until the end of January to get your tallies in.

I sent all of my cards! Why aren’t they all reflected in the tallies?
    Don’t freak out if you don’t have the full number of cards sent next to your name by the end of things. Some always slip through the cracks or get lost in the holiday shuffle. As long as a reasonable number of people have tallied your card, I will assume you did indeed send them. (Don’t take this as an excuse for not tallying the cards you receive, however.)

Did I mention that you have until November 1st to sign up?
    So sign up! It’s fun!!

CLICK TO SIGN UP!

1. Look for the Login button on the top right side (see attached image #1), sign in with your CustomersSuck! username and password.
    2. Click on "2014 Christmas Card Exchange" (see attached image #2)
    3. Click "Sign up!" (see attached image #3) If you don’t see these words, make sure you are actually logged into the signup tool. This is separate from the CustomersSuck site.
    4. You will receive an activation code in your email within a few minutes; enter it in the box on the next screen (see attached image #4)
    5. Enter your name and address, double-triple-quadruple check that it's right, click the "Save" button, and you're done!

Please make sure all your information is correct! The list will be sent as a pdf that can be printed on standard address labels, so please make sure your address is formatted correctly (proper postal abbreviations, etc.). Have I said this enough times? If you make a mistake, I can’t fix it for you! Proofreading is your friend!
    Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 09-26-2015, 12:29 AM.
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Hey, I even managed to sign up first this year.

Comment

Of course I'm doing it again this year! So much fun! Now to figure out the design for my cards this year.

Comment

Can I request those that are in the US to please go to the USPS.com and please get their +4 zip code? This makes the zip code 9 digits long and looks like 12345-6789. This should help stop some of the missing ones we get every year to not go missing cause the computer has more info.

Comment

I'll need to talk to Kabe if we want to try to participate this year

Out of curiosity, though, is there any clear way to list a double member house? We've participated before, and it's been hit or miss on whether cards are addressed to both of us or not.
          My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

It's happened in the past. No problem! ^_^. IIRC, Your choices are:

a - Enter your names on one line (e.g. Jane and John Doe), and both of you sign each card.

or

b - Sign up separately (requires both of you to have your own CS accounts) and send out (and therefore, receive) two sets of cards

BSE, can you please clarify?

Aethian makes a good point -- Having the extra 4 digits seems to help speed delivery, as well. Here's the link -- Note that this will also give you the USPS' "standard format" for the address, so please use that to list your address in the signup form, as this should also help to minimize lost letters. (For some odd reason, the standardized form does NOT include the +4 digits, so you will need to add those manually)

Also, guys n gals n etc - Remember that international mail can be sloooow. If you can only do a few at a time (say, a dozen a week or so) for whatever reason, it's best to prioritize the international ones. It's not unheard of for some of these to take 2-3 weeks to arrive.

Woot! Signed up. Let The Glittering Begin!
            Last edited by EricKei; 09-29-2014, 01:41 PM.
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I'm all signed up!

And while I'm home this week on vacation (YAY!!!) I'll go ahead and break down the Dyson and get the filters cleaned up good in anticipation for the traditional glitterbombs that Christmas seems to bring.
              Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

I signed up too...for the first time

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                  It's happened in the past. No problem! ^_^. IIRC, Your choices are:

a - Enter your names on one line (e.g. Jane and John Doe), and both of you sign each card.

or

b - Sign up separately (requires both of you to have your own CS accounts) and send out (and therefore, receive) two sets of cards
                  Yeah, really can't afford B from our end, nor do I want that many cards with a toddler in the house!

We usually go with option A, but I noticed that the inside message (if one was included) would typically be addressed to just me even though we do have both our real names listed.

Maybe an alternative solution to remind folks could be adding a "care of" line with both our screen names listed?
                  My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

I signed up for the second year! Already have my cards for this year...just need to remember where I put them. I'm sure it's a spot that I'd easily find them.
                    I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

Just signed up. Mrs. TGK gets a kick out of all those cards from all over. As she has scheduled a vacay for Thankgiving week, mine will go out by Pearl Harbor Day.
                      I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                      -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth Kheldarson View Post
                        Maybe an alternative solution to remind folks could be adding a "care of" line with both our screen names listed?
                        That works, too ^_^ Having at least one person's real name listed in the actual postal address part is what counts for the USPS. You can always mention in here that cards sent to you are for two people (you probably won't be the only ones doing this)

IIRC, the actual mailing list will say something like:

Realname
                        aka Screenname
                        Address1
                        Address2
                        CityStateZIP

PM BookstoreEscapee before you sign up to hash things out -- you have a month to do so
                        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
                          Can I request those that are in the US to please go to the USPS.com and please get their +4 zip code?
                          Thanks, Aethian! I've added this to the instructions with a link to the lookup page.

If you've already signed up, you can go back to step two in the signup instructions, and where it said "sign up" before, you should now see "update your address" and "opt out of this list." As long as the sign up period is open, you can go in and add the +4 and standardize your address, too, if you didn't write it that way (and I can see a couple of you didn't).

Standard address format is like so:
                          123 MAIN RD
                          FAKETOWN WY 12345-6789

Quoth EricKei View Post
                          BSE, can you please clarify?
                          Unfortunately, Eric is right, those are your only options; when you sign up it automatically gets your screen name from your login.
                          Unless Pedersen wants to change the signup tool, which I don't see happening any time soon. If you're signing up as a couple, the best I can suggest is putting both names in the name line and posting a note in the thread and hoping everyone sees it.

I'm a dummy. You can put multiple lines in the address box, so as long as you don't need them all for the address, you can put the other screen name in the first line. (Remember, it all has to fit on a label.)

We're up to 10 people so far! Woohoo!
                          Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 09-29-2014, 09:07 PM.

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                            Unfortunately, Eric is right, those are your only options; when you sign up it automatically gets your screen name from your login.
                            Unless Pedersen wants to change the signup tool, which I don't see happening any time soon. If you're signing up as a couple, the best I can suggest is putting both names in the name line and posting a note in the thread and hoping everyone sees it.

We're up to 10 people so far! Woohoo!
                            Would doing a "c/o Kheldarson and KabeRinnaul" line above the physical address in the box be cool?
                            My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Quoth Kheldarson View Post
                              Would doing a "c/o Kheldarson and KabeRinnaul" line above the physical address in the box be cool?
                              Actually, that should be fine. I wasn't thinking about the fact that you can put multiple lines in the address box. Guess I should have looked at it again first. As long as you don't have a ridiculously long address, that should work.

Comment

Working...
                              X