This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Turned Upside Down

As an infant I was adopted. I was in foster care the first two months of my life and then settled with the family I have known and loved ever since. They never hid that I was adopted from me.

My life has always felt like a puzzle with a section of pieces left out, that final clue to who I am. In high school I started searching and joining registries online. My project for my internet class wound up being a site I created to be a small registry. In either my junior or senior year I joined a grass roots group working to change adoption laws in Missouri and make them open, as this state is one of the most closed in the country. It has been some time since I was quite that dedicated, but I always searched and it was never far from my mind.

On Friday at work I received an email with a strange person trying to friend me on facebook. I didn't read the attached note, since I had been sneaking a peek at my phone and wasn't supposed to really be using it on shift. Figuring it was spam, I stuffed my phone away to deal with it later. Then a coworker called my name and said the same person had IM'd her on facebook saying she desperately needed to reach me and asking for my phone number. I had this odd premonition that it had to do with my birthmother but shook that off as ridiculous and went back to work. I couldn't shake the urge, though. Finally I opened the email and saw the note.

"I know who your mother is. I am your sister and I have been looking for you for 10 years. I hope you're still interested in finding her. I found your website..."

Instantly I logged off the phone at work and ran to the breakroom where I started hyperventilating, ran to my boss and scared him senseless by bursting into tears in front of him. He gave me 20 minutes off the phone to call her. We kept testing each other with what little information we had to make sure it was the real thing. Finally, after my shift, I called her back and she conferenced in my birth mother. There was no denying the information that matched up.

My boss let me take every last scrap of vacation I had left and I drove to the town I'd grown up in and met them there. We are all clearly related, so identical to one another. They gave me information on where to find my birthfather and I've had some contact with him as well. I have two half sisters, two half brothers, two nephews, a niece... so much family and they are all so warm and loving.

I want to move back to my home town, have missed St. Louis since I left, and now I have all the more reason to move back. Words cannot express the emotions I've been through this week. I'm practically speechless. Right now I just have to hope my financial situation will improve so I can move. Most of my adoptive and birth family live in that area so it would be good on multiple levels.
    "Oh, the strawberries don't taste as they used to and the thighs of women have lost their clutch!"

Love x 1000!!!!!

Congratulations My daughter (in our custody since she was 4 months old, adopted when she was 8) has continued to have a relationship with her birth parents at my urging (despite the fact that her birthmom is a vindictive creep) because I didn't want it to be a huge shock to her when she grew up. However, our situation is a bit different, as it was an in-family adoption (she's my brother's child with his then-teenage ex-girlfriend, big soap opera, believe me). She knows that she's biologically their child, and that my ex-husband and I are mommy and daddy.
    GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Amazing, isn't it?

I had the same thing happen about 18 months ago when I talked to sisters I didn't know I had for the first time.

Congrats, and I hope everything works out!

B
      "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein.
      I never knew how happy paint could make people until I started selling it.

Comment

Congratulation. Thats wonderful.

Comment

Amazing.

Congratulations, I am happy for you. Family can be a blessing, so glad you found yours.

Comment

Congratulations, now if only I could find my father's family...

Comment

I am so happy for you
              You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Wow. This is awesome. Best wishes to you and your 'new' branch of family!
                "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
                "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

That is so awesome! I'm happy for you!
                  I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                  Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                  Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Congratulations. My cousin is adopted. She got into contact with her family at a perfect time. My uncle died when she was a child and right after my aunt died her birth mother came back into her life. I thought it was good that she did not have to go through the rest of her life without a parental figure.
                    My sanity has been dripping out of me my whole life, today they turned on the faucet.....

Comment

Very happy for you! Glad to hear things worked out so well for you.

I hope you have many years getting to know your birth family better and rebuilding the relationships!
                      They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

*happy dances* Yay!
                        1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
                        -----
                        http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

Working...
                        X