This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warn your friends

We (Mrs. TGK & I) came back from work (my year-round job), went to her Highlander. When I started the engine, we both knew something was seriously amiss. This SUV sounded more like a sports car--the noise actually drowned out the radio and the car rattled when I accelerated.

As we would be passing a Toyota dealer (the same one where we bought that vehicle, come to think of it), I pulled up to the service area. A technician met me and when I described the problem. We turned on the engine again. He asked if I had parked at a train station. When I replied yes, he looked at the undercarriage.

The problem: The catalytic converter was stolen. OMG!

The tech told me that he had a vehicle in for the same problem and asked if I had comprehensive coverage on that vehicle. When I replied in the affirmative, the service manager suggested that I report this to the police and file a claim as they charge $2100 for this type of repair. With the insurance, it would only be the deductible ($250 out of pocket, in this case).

Well we went to the police next and had to wait since we arrived at the top of the hour (shift change). When the officer finally took our report, he explained that the recent rise in precious metals, including platinum, has made that more lucrative--the thieves can get as much as $300 for the scrap in the converter.

With the report, I filed the claim and this sort of report was not a surprise to the claims adjusted or body shop manager (referred by the insurance--they do good work).

Warning to my fellow CSer's:

If you drive a pickup or SUV consider a lock for your catalytic converter. I just ordered a CatClamp. Everyone verify that you have comprehensive coverage on your vehicle.

Warn your friends about this nonsense!
    I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
    -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

taxguykarl,this is news to you??? cats have been regularly targeted for some time now,the new battery-powered tools make it easy to cut one off in literally seconds.

I could defeat that CatClamp in a minute or 2....
    Last edited by Frantic Freddie; 06-11-2011, 04:15 AM.
    "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you.This is the principal difference between a man and a dog"

Mark Twain

Comment

It's freaking new to me!! THANK YOU TGKARL! I hope you get extricated from this crapola.
      ... I drive a 2001 Lumina. Is this a targeted vehicle?
      "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
      "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

My POS car doesn't have one, and didn't when I bought it.

Fun!
        Unseen but seeing
        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
        3rd shift needs love, too
        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

The vehicle needs to be high enough off the ground for the thief to get under it. That means 4 wheel and trucks. A skid plate will most likely do the trick to keep them away.
          "Of all the liars in the world, sometimes the worst are your own fears." – Rudyard Kipling

I don't have hot flashes. I have short, private vacations to the tropics.

Comment

Quoth Frantic Freddie View Post
            taxguykarl,this is news to you??? cats have been regularly targeted for some time now,the new battery-powered tools make it easy to cut one off in literally seconds.

I could defeat that CatClamp in a minute or 2....
            That's what quite a few have told me--this is the first time I've heard of this kind of theft. One quipped that this waxes and wanes. With platinum going for $1800/oz this is no doubt going to be more common for a while. As for beating a clamp, you need not make it impossible, just enough of a PITA for the thief to try an easier target.

Quoth teh_blumchenkinder View Post
            ... I drive a 2001 Lumina. Is this a targeted vehicle?
            probably not as that is a sedan type. The thieves prefer higher clearance as those are easier to crawl under to do their dirty work.
            Last edited by taxguykarl; 06-11-2011, 10:58 AM.
            I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
            -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

My dad was warning me to manually lock my doors instead of using my keyfob, because more high-tech thieves (I want to tell him it's highly unlikely around here, albeit possible but highly unlikely) have decoding devices that they use to intercept the signal it sends to your car and unlock it, then go car shopping while you're busy in a store or your house.

But for the record, I don't keep anything important in my car.
              You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Holy shit! Thanks for the tip and the heads up, TGK!
                I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
                  My dad was warning me to manually lock my doors instead of using my keyfob, because more high-tech thieves (I want to tell him it's highly unlikely around here, albeit possible but highly unlikely) have decoding devices that they use to intercept the signal it sends to your car and unlock it, then go car shopping while you're busy in a store or your house.

But for the record, I don't keep anything important in my car.
                  Don't know about that one...
                  In any case, using the keyfob is the only way to set the alarm on my car.
                  I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                  I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                  It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Working...
                  X