This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *wheeze*

Ok, so I'm trying out for an operatic choir tonight. I have a song prepped, I'm decently good at it, and I'm basically ready to go.

Except for one little problem.

This season's allergies have hit with a vengeance. I feel like there's an elephant sitting on my chest. A round with a rescue inhaler and steam bath have opened me up a bit, but I'm not 100%, and won't be able to hit any of the F(5) notes required for a soprano audition piece.

If I don't clear up more in 45 minutes (sometimes it takes that long for the inhaler to kick in, dunno why), and if doc (or Dr. Sister) don't have any other immediate solutions, I'm heading to urgent care for a nebulizer.

Stupid lungs.

Oooh, ooh, let me try.

Okay, Kias lungs - sort yourselves out or I'll sort you out!

(Not nearly as satisfying to say to things that can't answer back, curses).

Comment

Can you tell my spine to straighten out? It doesn't listen to me.
      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Good luck Kia, hope everything goes well!
        By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

I decided to go fill the prednisone scrip, on the recommendation of Dr. Sister.

Gods I forgot how bitter those pills are. Hopefully within a few hours they begin to work, though. Second dose in 4 hours, right before I leave for the audition. Along with another dose of albuterol.

Wheee.

Comment

Am I the only person who wants to hear a recording of this, when (not if) your voice is in top form?
            Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Quoth Mytical View Post
              Am I the only person who wants to hear a recording of this, when (not if) your voice is in top form?
              No, no you're not.
              By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

No, I want to hear too....!

By the way KiaKat, dairy products can stimulate excess mucus in a lot of people - have you tried cutting out dairy for a couple of days before an audition / performance?
                Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

I wish I still had recordings from HS - both of tonight's pieces were ones I sang my senior year. The Pie Jesu (Faure) was for my thesis performance, and Stormy Weather was for the school Cabaret.

After the performance in August, I'll have the videos of that and will happily post them. I'm not a soloist, but I'm the leader of the 1st Soprano section, so my voice is fairly well-heard. And if I can get recordings of the other songs, I'll post them as well.

Marmalady - I haven't had any dairy for almost two days at this point. And I've been drinking gallons of water today. Sadly, the problem isn't mucous (well, not entirely) as much as it is bronchoconstriction - my lungs don't want to let the air out. So I wheeze, and cough, and when I try to control my breathing for a high note, the whole system collapses and I squawk.

Comment

The choir The Wife is in did Faure's Requiem just last Sunday. Lovely piece.

Break a leg!
                    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                    Save the Ales!
                    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Oh wow yes, I love that piece as well.

I'm in a choir too, and I know how frustrating it is when something like this approaches and the voice just will not co-operate.. If I ever get a stinker of a cold, you can bet it will be just before a concert

But as csquared says, break a leg!
                      Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

As c^2 and Marmalady already took care of your legs, I have little choice.

Break an arm!
                        Long days, short nights, a bottle of NOS makes it all right.

Canadians Unite !

Comment

I have to confess to being jealous of KiaKat for being a soprano anyway - being an alto, I don't often get a chance to play with the melody

Comment

I got there about a half-hour early, waited through two other auditions, then they took me into the room.

Holy crap guys. My voice is SHOT. Without breath control I was completely unable to hit the right notes, or make my entrances. On Stormy Weather. An EASY song. I got the first entrance, but the second one just fell flat.

I apologized, they understood the situation, thanked me for trying, and said we'd try again when I was healthy.

Wha?

Yup. They're giving me a second chance. I'll talk to my choir director next week and see when they can get me in for an alternate audition.

Comment

Quoth Marmalady View Post
                              I'm in a choir too, and I know how frustrating it is when something like this approaches and the voice just will not co-operate.. If I ever get a stinker of a cold, you can bet it will be just before a concert
                              The spring concert is always dicey. The Wife is always trying to catch a cold about that time.

KiaKat, hope you feel better soon.
                              Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                              Save the Ales!
                              Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Working...
                              X