X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Write This Down:

I am an ass.

Mods: I'm not sure if I got this in the right area. If it's placed wrong, could you move it please? Thanks!

So, this past Friday night, I was an ass. Wife and I go to a local pub every Friday night, have done so for a couple years now. About 6 or 9 months ago, they got a new jukebox in of a variety called "Touch Tunes". It was advertising periodically about their "My Touch Tunes" app available on Android and iOS. I installed it on my phone, and we use it fairly often.

Basically, we can do all the same things from my phone that we can do if we walk over to it and put money in. Select songs, "play next", etc. We have to be there to do it (it won't let me be at home and manage that jukebox, for instance), but that's not exactly a restriction for me.

This past Friday night, we had sat down, and I decided to put some music in. First song I had chosen was "Don't Rock The Jukebox" since I was in very much a country mood. Well, I was doing the search, waiting to hit "Play", when this guy from a biker group walked over to the device to hit play on his own stuff. I managed to get my first choice in and they were surprised when the music began before he'd manage to select anything.

And that's when the fun began. I had put in all the songs I was going to play, and one of his group members started complaining about how much country this jukebox was playing. Finally my selections were done, and theirs began to play. My evil side perked up.

See, the one guy in their group was complaining about country a lot. I started interspersing songs in their playlist. I would figure out which song to play next, and use extra credits to cause my choice to play next. As a result, they'd get one song off their list, and then I'd have one queued up, back and forth for a long while. I queued up such songs as Weird Al's "Achy Breaky Song", Rednex "Cotton Eyed Joe", Lady Gaga "Poker Face", Bon Jovi "Blaze of Glory", and Travis Tritt "Here's A Quarter".

These guys could not figure out what was going on. The one who hates country was claiming that the one who put songs in had put these in just to screw with him. The one who had set up the playlist was swearing he didn't do it. Neither of them could figure out who put these songs in, since no one else approached the jukebox.

Now, to mitigate it slighty, I actually enjoy all the songs we played. It was just amusing listening to them try to figure out what was going on. Best use of extra credits *ever*

Oh, and cookies for the reference about me being an ass...

Quoth Pedersen View Post
    Oh, and cookies for the reference about me being an ass...
    I just assumed you meant you were being yourself...
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I don't know the reference either, but that is hilarious!!
      "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

What's the grumper sticker for this?

Oh yeah:

"If it ain't country, it ain't shit!"

(cranks up some Tom T. Hall)
        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I would so mess with people like that if I could!

Comment

I agree, so worth the extra credits. I'd be doing my best not to bust out laughing and give myself away if I was doing it.

Comment

I shouldn't be giggling in the corner of the office, but I am.

Rapscallion

Comment

I actually have to say, bravo, Peds! Even though most country music grates on my ears too, I approve of these shenanigans!
                By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

I absolutely hate country music. But this is too hilarious for words. Best use of a smart phone app I've seen in a while. Brave, Peds, bravo!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                  Still A Customer."

Comment

"We got both kinds of music here, Country and Western!" --Blues Brothers
                    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                    Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Were you an ass? Yeah, probably. Was it worth it? Hell, yeah! Anyway, if the guy hadn't been so vocal in his dislike for country, you probably wouldn't have done it.

I don't like (most) country, either, but this was beautiful.
                      "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

I do a variation of this anytime I'm given the chance. I like to pick the most random and out of place songs from the jukebox for where I'm at (usually dive bars) so I pick teeny bubblegum pop (nsync anyone?) and pair it with some sort of hard rock. And then play some country and just bounce all around the music selection

Comment

Love it, Peds. Purely brilliant!

Of course, you can always mix in some 70's disco in between the country tunes and a touch of 60's Motown.

Which is pretty much how my iPhone playlists are set up . . . a little bit of everything (except rap and classical.)
                          Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Toss in Miles Davis - Bitches Brew era and watch them flee screaming.

... on second, thought, the bar doesn't deserve to be decustomerized ...
                            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I'm not a fan of country, but I am a fan of doing stuff like this. Awesome!!

"If you pray very hard, you can become a cat person." -Angela, "The Office"

Comment

Working...
                              X