Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Multi-million dollar inheritance -- with strings attached...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multi-million dollar inheritance -- with strings attached...

Quoth The Article
    A wealthy Manhattan landlord left $20 million to his two daughters — but they can collect only on his strict terms.
    http://nypost.com/2015/07/27/dad-con...rom-the-grave/
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

it SHOULD be pointed out that when they reach 35, they get the money anyway, so ti's not quite as bad as some instances of this.

Oh the other hand, this is a very good example of someone who seems to love controlling others. ( and I hope "accreddited university" merely means a unversity who'se degree programs are accreddited by the usual organisations- in other words, ones that actually teach, rather than cram an ideology down the throats of their students- or it's really stupid.

I give him some credit for allowing them to get some of the money if they're a caregiver for their mother, though- albeit if they were divorcing on decent enough terms he'd care, why was she disinherited?

but yeah, this is usually a sign of a particularly controlling parent.

Comment

Pretty controlling, but try to see his likely side: He busted his backside to earn and amass that fortune and does not want it blown on blow.
      And then there is the guy who wanted an ATM on his grave to ensure regular visits from his descendants (likely an urban legend).
      I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
      -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

At first I thought "maybe he had reason not to fully trust his inheritors, and wanted to make sure they understood the value of hard work".

Then I read the article....

Yea, it does seem a little controlling, but not super terrible. I have seen worse. I know the NYP enough to take everything they print with a pinch of salt, so maybe the article was more propaganda from the wife/ex-wife who was contesting the will (and smearing his name because of "axes to grind").

I usually stay out of others affairs because of how hard it is to find the truth. I am not a fan of drama.
        I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

Quoth Gilhelmi View Post
          maybe he had reason not to fully trust his inheritors, and wanted to make sure they understood the value of hard work".
          Looking back, when I was that age I probably wouldn't trust my younger self with that kind of money.
          Quoth Gilhelmi View Post
          Yea, it does seem a little controlling, but not super terrible.
          Sounds somewhat reasonable to me... with all the tales of lotto winners going crazy and then broke.
          I agree about the (ex-?) wife. It sounds like she is about to make this a real-life Bleak House.
          I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
          -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
            Sounds somewhat reasonable to me... with all the tales of lotto winners going crazy and then broke.
            True, the part that bugged me was making any future husband sign a statement saying he would not touch the money and had no rights to it.

But then again, I have heard of rich folks having pre-nuptial agreements. I guess that could just be more of a cultural thing that we common folk do not understand as much.

I agree about the (ex-?) wife. It sounds like she is about to make this a real-life Bleak House.
            Yea, the more I think about the "wife" of this tale, the more suspicious I get. Yes, the divorce was not "final" but even in the middle of the proceedings, I would expect both spouses to remove one another from their respective wills. Then thinking about the Rich people tradition of pre-nups, I am wondering if they had already detached themselves from one another.

The more I think, the rottener the smell.

So I change my opinion, this article is pure BS produced to help the ex-wife gain publicity.
            I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

Working...
            X