X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Someone Needs A Clue

http://consumerist.com/2015/11/13/po...-with-friends/

Woman thinks "all-you-can-eat" applies to all her friends as well...

Wha...? o_O It's "all YOU can eat," not "all YOUR GROUP can eat"...
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
      Wha...? o_O It's "all YOU can eat," not "all YOUR GROUP can eat"...
      I always figured that it was "common knowledge" that "all you can eat" was pretty straightforward. It means you, not you and your friends.

Someone mentioned in the comments (and I agree) that Denny's (and other AYCE places) shouldn't have to put something on their menus that says "All you can eat only applies to individual orders, not groups of people" or some such.
      Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
        I always figured that it was "common knowledge" that "all you can eat" was pretty straightforward. It means you, not you and your friends.

Someone mentioned in the comments (and I agree) that Denny's (and other AYCE places) shouldn't have to put something on their menus that says "All you can eat only applies to individual orders, not groups of people" or some such.
        100% agreed, but then again you now see disclaimers such as:

"Do not use in tub or shower" on hair dryers
        "Do not use to trim hedges" on lawn mowers
        "Failure to follow directions may cause injury or death" on seat belts

And why? Because nature keeps coming up with bigger idiots. I swear, 125-150 years ago Darwinism would have swiftly taken care of the problem for us. Now social enlightenment has saddled humanity with a subspecies that could never had survived, much less flourished, on its own...

Comment

I've heard that one chainsaw manufacturer (I believe it's Husqvarna) had the English section of its owners' manuals much thicker than any other language because it included things like "Don't try to stop the chain with your hand". People laughed about it. Until...

Some idiot sued them because he was seriously injured by one of their saws. He lost the case - because the "common sense says you shouldn't do this" safety rule he violated was explicitly stated in the owner's manual.
          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

mjr - I can give you her counter-argument right now: "Well, I thought it meant the PLURAL 'you', not the singular...The sign really should have been more clear! It's not my fault they don't know how to write good English!"

Not everyone uses "y'all" as the plural in English...even though all o' y'all maybe should

=============

My favorite safety warning has always been "Do not climb in/sleep in" on dumpsters and on cardboard balers. For those not familiar with the latter, they're hydraulically-powered machines that can compress a half-ton (or heavier) stack of cardboard boxes into a portable, 3-foot high bundle..."Portable," here, meaning "with the aid of a forklift," but that's still technically portable
            Last edited by EricKei; 11-14-2015, 03:54 PM.
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
              My favorite safety warning has always been "Do not climb in/sleep in" on dumpsters and on cardboard balers.
              And the former are emptied by a specially-equipped truck - dumped into the compartment in the back without the driver checking out the contents, then compacted using equipment similar to the baler.
              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                I've heard that one chainsaw manufacturer (I believe it's Husqvarna) had the English section of its owners' manuals much thicker than any other language because it included things like "Don't try to stop the chain with your hand". People laughed about it. Until...

Some idiot sued them because he was seriously injured by one of their saws. He lost the case - because the "common sense says you shouldn't do this" safety rule he violated was explicitly stated in the owner's manual.
                There was one actual label I seem to remember also concerning chainsaws ---- DO not use crotch to attempt to stop chainsaw.

I remember seeing it on one of those weird-but-true warning label compilation websites.
                I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

It's funny, While we were trimming some trees and bushes a couple weeks ago (using a gas powered chainsaw) my dad pointed out that he didn't know why the chainsaw had a chain lock on it. When I set down the saw to move some branches, I engaged it and said "that's why". Had I not the chain was still moving, albeit slowly. You just KNOW some idiot saw it, thought the chain should not be moving while the saw was idling and tried to stop it with his hands.
                  I AM the evil bastard!
                  A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth eltf177 View Post
                    http://consumerist.com/2015/11/13/po...-with-friends/

Woman thinks "all-you-can-eat" applies to all her friends as well...
                    Its all you can eat, not all y'uns can eat or all y'all can eat.
                    Seph
                    Taur10
                    "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

Working...
                    X