Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was struggling in high school, due to the fact that everyone thought I was autistic when I was just bored (I did need some accommodations, just not the ones they thought I did).

Social Studies
    I was consistently a C student, but studied my ASS off for the last part of the year and final exam. Take-home essay (we could ask parents to critique it as far as content and grammar/spelling) and multiple-choice in class. I wound up with an A, pulling my year grade up to a B+. Go me! ...well, the teacher wanted to have me expelled for plagiarism and cheating (what?!) She honestly could not fathom that someone could actually get motivated enough to pull their grade out of the gutter. Eventually we prevailed (that involved numerous meetings with the department head and headmaster, and would have gone higher IIRC).

English

Junior year, a teacher had it in for me. Claimed plagiarism on a Death of a Salesman essay I wrote (although it couldn't be proven), and after being told I would come away with a C, she turned around and failed me with no explanation That grade was never rescinded or changed.

My school required students to take a "senior English" class. Basically a whole class devoted to writing a senior essay--both the essay and the class were required for graduation--that could be done quite well on one's own (which I ended up doing). I got tossed into a special-ed class that had nothing to do with writing the senior essay and that I hated. We spent half the year reading some abysmal young-adult sports novel (one of the ones with an insipid "life lesson")...I finished the odd little thing in two days and got talked down to when I brought other books (the good stuff, Heinlein, Lovecraft, Pratchett et al) in "Oh, this book looks hard, come on and keep up with the class"...had she only asked, I could have answered any question she had about the class reading.

The second half of the year, we were to keep "reading logs" like in second grade. I was a huge smartass then and had some fun with it...The King In Yellow, Necronomicon, all kinds of stuff that in the universe of said books were not to actually be read.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

2) Which came first -- the mummy or the coffin?
      mummies, of course; most of them were accidental in nature, but 'straight to ground' burials existed long before the use of sacophagi, coffins and caskets.

this prof is a whackjob; i'm wondering who audits his courses, to check on actual content for appropriate levels. yeesh.
      look! it's ghengis khan!
      Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
        I once had a professor who wrote the book to be used for the class. One thing she always and I mean ALWAYS asked on every test was..

What was your thought concering {instert chapert here}?

And of course not one person would get any points for that or the other questions that delt with how we saw something because hey SHE wrote the book so we should obviously understand how SHE thought over the subject.

The moral of the story...never take a class under a professor who writes said book for the class.
        HEY!! i took a class where the teacher published the book for the class. It was Modern Fiction. She found storys and poems, contacted authers, exictivers, and origanal publishers, put them all in the storys in a way that worked for them, and founda publisher who could make 50-100 copys a semeter.
        i loved it.
        but i did have a bad teacher.
        Communication. She insisted on job interviews,after she said she would only do what we wanted to do and no one did, and even though the few students who didnt drop right away already had jobs, even big jobs, i was the youngest!!! most of her students where 28 to 35 she wasnt preparing us for the future. She let us do the only grading on the interviews So one guy, who didnt want to do said outloud, he was going to simon cowell it and give who ever he got a 0, and i got him, even when i come in sit as a dog because i couldnt miss one class because she would drop 75 points for everyday, and i went up to tell her and she glared and snapped that i should have been prepared and its my own fault. Who asked people who told her the first day THEY ALL worked full time, and would blow of group assignments, they had to do a group assignment, every group did the breaking up of assignmments which on the last day got her to go up and yell at us saying we had instructions and if we couldnt follow them we didnt deserve to graduate, and chewed me out for my presasive speech saying it was inappropriate, and the shut up when i said then we dont deserve to be in college, its the real world , if they dont like they can leave, isnt that what you say. i chew her out on a teacher evolvuation. i hated her. but at least i got a c so now woohoo i have my first assoictiates
        Last edited by Sliceanddice; 04-06-2008, 12:58 AM.

Comment

Good professor 1)
          Astronomy, wrote the textbook, spoke English instead of Technical and had students from other sections auditing his class just to understand what was going on

GP 2)
          Statistics aka Math for non-Majors, wrote the coursepak, so we were spending <$10 and most of that was the printing & binding cost

Drop him like a rock Professor)
          Spoke in a monotone so bad that by the end of the 2nd week of class I had moved one seat back so I could do the crossword in class without being glaringly obvious. Just so I wouldn't fall asleep to his face. He could out-Ben-Stein Ben Stein himself. I dropped that class right before he assigned the 20 page paper. In an intro class, in the 3rd week.

Read in class to Piss Her off Teacher)
          Okay, it's Honors English but I still read fast enough to keep ahead of the class and she still covered the same material 3 days in a row. So I'd read other stuff in class on the 2nd & 3rd day repeats. She hated it, but when she called on me I could answer her questions. And that just made her look stupid.

Kinda cool Geology TA)
          This is my major & my life, so I love it. You are all here taking Rocks for Jocks. I understand that & will try to inspire in you the same love that I have. But it's cool if you don't.

Short Straw Instructor)
          She inherited the course when the previous instructor left/died/spontaneously combusted. She was the newest hire in the department so she got stuck teaching it, with about 2 days warning. We spent over a week on her focus and barely touched the class topic the entire semester.
          I'm sorry, the person to whom you were speaking has been replaced by a recording. Please leave your message at the sound of the beep.

Comment

Jabba the Hut (Intro to Business instructor) got an evaluation yesterday and my adviser who I had told about the class and its lack of education was doing the evaluation.

This was the first time Jabba was on time, that she used her time wisely, and actually did something. We didn't let that fool my adviser. I ended up being the last one to leave. All my adviser said was, "So this is the class you're in?" It was more of a statement than a question, but I replied anyway. "Yup."

The girl's in my row and I were giggling the entire class period because we all had plans to anally ream her in the evaluation we had to give. They even let us do a free write on the back. Hopefully, she won't be hired back next semester.
            Honey and Thorns ~ Handmade Knit and Jewelry

Comment

All but 2 of my college profs were good.

Bad Prof. 1: Marriage And The Family - Every class was him standing at the front of the class, reading his notes for the entire 45 minutes, never looking and never asking questions. Plus he had a droning voice that would put a speed freak to sleep.

Bad Prof. 2: Elementary Educ. Practicum semester (basically Pre-Student teaching)
              He came in to evaluate my class on the same day as they had been
              about a class trip. They were a pretty wild bunch to begin with.
              Add to that the fact that my prof. FELL ASLEEP, COMPLETE WITH
              SNORING in the back of the room, and you have a room full of laughter
              that nobody is going to be able to stop, esp. since the class could not
              care less what the teacher, me or an armed cop said. 8th graders
              own the world ya know.
              Anyway, the prof wakes up when the laughing an screaming gets loud
              enough. And he failed me for the course for not controlling the kids.
              Since I had no intentions of teaching anyway (I was going to be a
              librarian) I never took that class again.
              "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

I had a professor once whose lecture consisted of him standing in front of the class and basically free-assorciating for 50 minutes.

One class in particular I remember. He started the lecture by talking about the low register of the flute, and by the time the class ended, he was talking about Austrian military uniforms in World War I.

The subject of the class? Introduction to Astronomy.
                "Wouldn't that be unethical?"
                "That's only an issue for those who aren't already in Hell."
                --Dilbert

Comment

Quoth freaktard View Post
                  I had a professor once whose lecture consisted of him standing in front of the class and basically free-assorciating for 50 minutes.

One class in particular I remember. He started the lecture by talking about the low register of the flute, and by the time the class ended, he was talking about Austrian military uniforms in World War I.

The subject of the class? Introduction to Astronomy.
                  6 Degrees of Separation:

Intro to Astronomy--->Study of the Universe, incl. the Big Bang Theory--->Bang is what you do to drums--->drums are musical instuments, like the flute--->The flute is played in the Austrian marching band--->Austria and Astronomy both start with the letter "A".
                  "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Working...
                  X