This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comparing Apples to…um…Apples.

So I’m running a register a few weeks back and this woman comes into line with two bags of apples. One bag filled with Rome apples the other with Red Delicious apples. Both types are red if you’re not familiar with produce, keep that in mind.

I pick up the bag of Rome apples and weigh them and ring them up. When the computer display showed Rome apples she freaked out.

Crazy lady: That can’t be right?

Me: What’s the problem ma’am.

Crazy lady: I Thought those were Red Delicious.

Me: No ma’am their Rome, *pulls an apple form the bag to show the sticker which clearly says ROME on it.*

Crazy Lady: Well I did pick up a bag of Red Delicious and Rome apples…

Me: *Nods* Well….this is probably the bag of Rome apples…Since the other bag has Red Delicious in it.

Crazy Lady: Oh…Okay.

I recommend practicing saying painfully obvious things without sounding like a smartass it’s a godsend.

Anywho I get her rung up and she asks if they were on sale. I check and no they’re regular price. She then says the line I hear so many times a day it haunts my dreams, “Well there’s a sign in the back…”

So I go back with her and tell her to show me the sign, store policy being we have to honor any signage up in the store, we find the sign, “Gala apples 59 cents lb”

Crazy Lady: SEE!
    Me: Yes ma’am that sign is for Gala Apples.
    Crazy lady: That’s what I got!

Thunk. That was me throwing apples at her in my mind.

Me: No ma’am you had Red delicious and Rome apples.
    Crazy Lady: Well take them off I just won’t have any apples.
    Me: Sure thing. *Dies a little inside*

Now…I’m still not sure if this lady was an idiot or thought I was an idiot and was trying to pull a fast one. I might be bale to understand her misreading the sign…it happens. I might understand her picking up the wrong apples despite the fact they’re too different colors, gala being a yellowish greenish color.

But there’s no way I’m going to buy she thought she had Gala apples after she already told me she had FRICKIN’ ROME AND RED DELICIOUS not two minutes earlier!

She’s the same one who picked up Sweet Onions instead of the on sale White onions and got mad at me for not giving her the sale price. She went so far as to tell me I, and I quote, Ruined Christmas.

Bah Humbug.
    "Sometimes, I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion!"

Quoth Danjo View Post
    She then says the line I hear so many times a day it haunts my dreams, “Well there’s a sign in the back…”
    I feel your pain. I had a lady do that to me, and when I went with her to look at the sign, she showed me an old sale sign that was in the garbage.

Comment

christ; how can she NOT know the difference-red or not, they bear no resemblence to each other.

wtf? if it were an honest mistake (or, more specifically, i was inclinded to give her the benefit of the doubt), i'd understand, but this seems to be either:

a) an attempt to get a more expensive item for cheaper that failed
      b) a colossal case of stupid and lack of reading/paying attention
      look! it's ghengis khan!
      Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

So....what's the price of your granny smiths?
        Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Quoth Triscuitty View Post
          I feel your pain. I had a lady do that to me, and when I went with her to look at the sign, she showed me an old sale sign that was in the garbage.
          When I worked at Sears, I was ringing up a customer one day and got the same thing...."Those are supposed to be 30% off! There's a sign over there!!!"

So we walk over to an aisle display of the shoes she was buying. And guess what she saw? A stack of about a billion plain 30% off signs (no style or details) that someone on the signing team had careless left on top of the the aisle display!
          So, the signs were not actually displayed, but we had to give her the 30% off anyway.
          "What size can I get you, ma'am?"
          "Red."
          "Okay...I'll check the red for you, but what size do you need?"
          "RED!"
          "..."

Comment

Quoth Danjo View Post
            She’s the same one who picked up Sweet Onions instead of the on sale White onions and got mad at me for not giving her the sale price. She went so far as to tell me I, and I quote, Ruined Christmas.
            I can see her point. Nothing says Christmas like a big bag of onions.
            "Wouldn't that be unethical?"
            "That's only an issue for those who aren't already in Hell."
            --Dilbert

Comment

Thunk. That was me throwing apples at her in my mind.
              My sig is perfect for this thread

As is idrinkarum's current avatar.
              I don't go in for ancient wisdom
              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Once I had a woman demand, they never ask do they, that we give her a box of poptarts at buy one get one free because she found a sign, face down, 10 feet away, that said buy one get one free on it. The fact that it also said Foldger's Coffee didn't seem to deter her much.

Comment

Heh, throwing apples makes me think of Kafka. I did an oral report in high school on 'The Metamorphosis' and my friend Jodi kept laughing throughout - it was very difficult to keep a straight face.

Comment

Reasonably common type, the "Theres a sign here" SC.
                    Don't get too many since our catalogues generally don't do any BOGOs, so we don't have any signs like that. But many times if there is a sign thats been knocked over, or thats been moved and it says something thats completely different to what its on (An example is with some of the personal care items we sell (Straighteners, hairdryers, etc), we had some signs advertising those, and they got knocked over frequently.. and someone comes up with some other item worth 3, 4 times the amount and then points at that obviously knocked over sign, for something completely different.

Another issue (now resolved) is that we sell cheap DVDs and CDs, at $2 or $8 per unit (public domain, B Movies, or stuff thats just been picked up by a crappy supplier), and even though we use a pricing gun to mark them individually as $2 or $8, people will routinely pick up a $8 DVD and demand that we sell it at $2 because "other DVDs in the box are $2". Many of them get very angry over this, and storm out. A "Prices as Marked" sign thankfully seems to have resolved this issue.
                    - Boochan

Comment

Quoth Danjo View Post

Bah Humbug.
                      Wow! You have that kind of power - to ruin a holiday?! I'm impressed!
                      "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Quoth friendofjimmyk View Post
                        Wow! You have that kind of power - to ruin a holiday?! I'm impressed!
                        I am a mighty and vengeful wage slave.

Comment

In SC world it doesn't matte if the sign they see is actually for the the item they say it is for. We had a SC who demanded that we sell her produce at the price she saw on a sign for some frozen food item.

Comment

Well some people seem to think that they cna pick any sign they want as long as it is within 100 yards of the item they're buying.

ME: The sign says it's for a 4 pack of butter.
                            SC: But...
                            ME: Of butter, you have a 12 pack...
                            SC: I...
                            ME: Of Eggs.
                            Last edited by Danjo; 04-10-2008, 04:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X