This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Mental_Mouse View Post
    AIUI the generation after the Boomers is Coupland's famous "Generation X". The generation after that (born 90s and 'naughts) is the Millennials.
    Usually they say from 85 to '97 actually, it's suppose to be the people who where teenagers/young adulthood at the turn on the century but wouldn't be very in the job market when the 2008 crash happened. All millenials are actually mid 20s to early 30s now. They were once called gen y.

Basically Most 'millennial' are actually part of the generation that came after. If your wondering it's usually caled the plural generation or the igeneration.

Thank you early childhood education and elementary education classes
    Last edited by Sliceanddice; 01-02-2018, 09:33 PM.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
      1974, here -- Does that make me a Baby Buster (Who you gonna call?) ...? A Gen Y person? o_O;>
      Nope. Makes you Gen X, which is generally mid-60s to early-80s. We're also called the "latchkey generation".
      It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

I started being a latchkey kid in fourth grade. Granted, we lived in a tiny town and a few of the more colorful characters (odd but harmless) took it upon themselves to watch out for me... and report back to mom if I did anything stupid
        Quoth Pixelated View Post
        I've got photos of me awkwardly parading the contemporary style ... just in case I want/need a reminder of how idiotic I was.
        Ditto. I don't think we actually kept a lot of those...I do remember a lot of neon clothing *shudders*

(I do still own a 'dog collar' from my goth phase that I put a bell and tag on; I wear it to work on occasion and J has observed that people seem more likely to actually get out of my way)
        "I am quite confident that I do exist."
        "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Well, I was definitely a latchkey kid starting in 5th grade or so...o_O
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
            Nope. Makes you Gen X, which is generally mid-60s to early-80s.
            Gen X! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poc4TgOmpPM

I'm on the leading edge of Generation X.
            “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
            One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
            The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
              and report back to mom if I did anything stupid
              That happened when I bought my first pack of cigarettes. I bought them from a vending machine in a diner one day as I walked home from school I was about 12 or 13.

That evening my dad told me to give them to him. I gave my brother a dirty look thinking he had told on me. My dad said, "Don't look at him. Some friends of mine saw you buy them and asked if you had started smoking."

So much for that.
              "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                Nope. Makes you Gen X, which is generally mid-60s to early-80s. We're also called the "latchkey generation".
                We were the last generation to be left to our own devices, so to speak, before the trend started at having kids constantly involved in after school activities and every hour of their childhood otherwise scheduled, leaving no time to just be a kid with your own thoughts running loose.

Noticed it when I was watching my youngest half sister growing up (she was born in 1987.)

When I was in school, it was straight home, did homework (after fixing a snack and seeing that Grandma had what she needed since getting up for her was a chore due to mobility issues,) laundry, dishes, helping with dinner (if Mom was home, otherwise I'd throw something together,) take a shower, watch some tv and go to bed. Had my downtime on weekends, when I could kick back, listen to music, take time to sit at the desk and type on a story or whatever.

When Brat was growing up, it was dance lessons after school on certain days/ other afternoons or weekends it was Girl Scouts or after she started high school, two afternoons a week volunteering at one of the church run daycare centers my stepmom worked at, other afternoons she was booked with after school club activiites and church youth group on weekends if she didn't have babysitting jobs to do. She had NO time to just unwind or do nothing - she was constantly busy.

I don't think today's kids know what it's like to actually have downtime and relax.
                Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth Mental_Mouse View Post
                  AIUI the generation after the Boomers is Coupland's famous "Generation X". The generation after that (born 90s and 'naughts) is the Millennials.
                  Here's a list of generation names (this was written in 2008, don't know if names have changed since then). So I'm considered Generation X even though I'll be fifty ( ) in July. Hubby's a Baby Boomer even though he's only four years older than I am.
                  I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                  My LiveJournal
                  A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                    So I'm considered Generation X even though I'll be fifty ( ) in July.
                    No eeking at making 50! 50 was awesome for me, so freeing. At 50, you can be fat. At 50, you can eat all the chocolate you want without worrying about your complexion. At 50, everyone assumes that you are on menopause. Women on menopause are automatically assumed to be crazy, so you are able to express your inner crazy freely. Dress like you want (within reason, use lots of layers and avoid showing skin unless yours is wonderful), decorate your car with decals and fun stuff, enjoy yourself and look forward to 60.

60 is the BEST! All of my give-a-shi* is totally gone. I don't worry about losing my federally funded state job because I'm so close to retirement that I can spend the next 23 months working for min. wage (which just went up to 10.50/hr). All those things that people at stores and stuff would do that annoyed the heck out of me? Unless it directly impacts me, I don't care.

I am really looking forward to 70, nobody told me that this getting old stuff came with so many perks!

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                      I started being a latchkey kid in fourth grade. Granted, we lived in a tiny town and a few of the more colorful characters (odd but harmless) took it upon themselves to watch out for me... and report back to mom if I did anything stupid

Ditto. I don't think we actually kept a lot of those...I do remember a lot of neon clothing *shudders*

(I do still own a 'dog collar' from my goth phase that I put a bell and tag on; I wear it to work on occasion and J has observed that people seem more likely to actually get out of my way)
                      I was a teenager in the Era of Extremes ... miniskirts and maxiskirts. Even as a teenager I really didn't have the moxie to carry off the miniskirt look, and I certainly didn't have the heron-like legs that showed them off to best advantage. More often than not I went for the "maxi" look ... a/k/a the Little House on the Prairie look.
                      Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Generation X here, just. XD Born in '79.
                        People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                        My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post
                          No eeking at making 50! 50 was awesome for me, so freeing. At 50, you can be fat.
                          Not I. The doc keeps talking to me about my weight, so I'm trying to lose it again.

Small steps so far, but in the right direction!
                          “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                          One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                          The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
                            Generation X here, just. XD Born in '79.
                            ditto here. born '74

Comment

Children... '51. My children: '72,74,76,78,80,85, grandchildren: '95, 10, 14, 14, 16, 18?
                              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I see what's happening here.
                                You seem to lost your cellphone and it's strange
                                You don't even know who to blame. It's adorable!
                                Well it's nice to see that SC's never change.
                                To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Working...
                                X