Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't know who you are but thank you.

Because of the short notice on the change of store hours a lot of us were caught with our pants down (I had three days warning). Because of the way the stores built if you stand at just the right spot near the front doors you can here the conversations upstairs. Anyway I guess this customer overheard our conversations about not having money for food because of the cut in my pay check (same amount of hours but without the extra incentive money for working nights. Which puts me $200 short this pay, plus rent was due so guess where everything went) a couple other people chimed up with the same problem. And when one of the more head office reps (that we all ignore because they're useless) chimed up with "why don't we get a second job then?" And I snapped back (I haven't eaten in three days because of being broke so my tempers worse then normal. There's a reason I worked nights) that some of us are already working up to 20hrs a day at multiple jobs.

Anyway, just before my shift started we had a bunch of staff come up with delivery pizza, cake from bakery, a platter of those small sandwhiches for parties. Chocolate bars, brownies... And the big fruit platters (which are not cheap at all. Most start at $50) turns out a customer had bought a whole bunch of food "for the staff room because we always do such a good job." A room full of half starved staff burst into tears. Some of us have gone longer without food because they had families or student debt or medical stuff going on.

There was enough that we're still going two days later. I don't know if they keep buying more or if they just bought that much. But I'm not so hungry that standing up makes me dizzy anymore.

Whoever you are thank you.
    Don’t worry about what I’m up to. Worry about why you are worried about what I’m up to.

Holy fuck. What nice people, and OMG, I feel for you. I'm doing my best to get myself a new job, not because I lost overnights, because I don't DO overnights, but....

They staff us poorly to save money.
    Because we are staffed poorly, we lose doctors, and/or we piss off doctors that come in to locum for us.
    Because [above] it's hard to GET locum doctors.
    Because it's hard to get locum doctors, and because our scheduling and staffing sucks donkey balls, it's hard to fit customers in in a pinch.
    We send them elsewhere if we're out of openings.
    We get chewed out by corporate if we turn them away.
    We get chewed out by the doctors if we take them in in an already filled day.
    It's hard to stay clean and stocked up when we're all going in circles to try to keep up with what we have in the hospital on any given day.
    We get chewed out by corporate for having a messing hospital.
    We get chewed out by the doctors if we take time to stock instead of racing through animals.

Gah. I'm SO tired of this job...

Comment

I know what you mean, animal care here suck because there just aren't the staff needed. Put it this way. There's three people on the island legally qualified to do work on horses beyond sticking a bandage on it. I get a discount because my vet went freelance from his company and is looking to build a client base. Since I have lots of horse connections he's using me to network. He does excellent work so I don't mind helping.

Though I've had some funny encounters with the normal pet vets in my area.
      Don’t worry about what I’m up to. Worry about why you are worried about what I’m up to.

Comment

If you're in the States please apply for food stamps right nao. You qualify even if you are working. In fact, I think you have to be working to get them. It takes a bit to get the funds but they have an allowance for emergency situations. You can even sign up online.
        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
          If you're in the States please apply for food stamps right nao. You qualify even if you are working. In fact, I think you have to be working to get them. It takes a bit to get the funds but they have an allowance for emergency situations. You can even sign up online.
          Sadly I'm not states. Here (supposedly in an attempt to keep food stamps to the people who need them) if you make so much as a penny over a certain amount (which would mean your working more then two days a week at minimum wage) then they won't accept your application. (Unless you applied before this new rule came into effect. Then your grandfathered in) funny thing is that this city is soooooo expensive to live in and almost impossible to save because of it. But to get out of the city and move you have to take a ferry. So then your paying for either a moving van or several plus paying for said moving van (or alternatively for your friends to help with their vehicles which will take more trips. Plus rent and safety deposit. Then you have to make sure you have a job (if your job doesn't allow for relocation)

I saw this article in the paper a while back. You could tell the author had never scrounged for money to pay basic necessities in their life from the tone. The article was basically one guy exclaiming that omg what do you mean you can't afford to move out of your parents basement? You mean minimum wage is too low to cover everything now? And it kept going on about of us young ppl really applied ourselves we could totally afford an apartment and student debt on a minimum wage job....

Yeah. Unless you're homeless or damn near its almost impossible to get help now. Hell, I have friends who are physically disabled and obviously have limitations on how long and what they can work. But the govt refuses to pay them a disability check because "you live at home. You have a job... You're doing fine..."

Comment

Patty Larkin - Helen
            ...There was that one bad winter we ate nothing but clams
            Lord, it did get a little bit tiresome
            Wonder if one of them could do something like that
            Maybe then I'd think there was more to 'em...
            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
            X