This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just do your job

Round 1 with this security clown was a couple of weeks ago. We have 2 truckloads of furniture and a too small timeline to install it all. We check in at the security desk and all this clown has to do is call my contact, that's all he is required to do, that is all he is supposed to do. But instead, he wants to decide that he is the most important person in the building and presents us with "Well nobody told ME that you were coming today!" I shoot back with "okay, can you call Lisa and she will confirm everything". He mumbles and grumbles, saying how he is supposed to be advised of these things and flips through some papers, so I mumble and grumble back about how only the important people are told about these things. He is not impressed and can't find anything. I tell him "okay, do you want to call Lisa and tell her that we are down here, or do you want me to call her and tell her that 30 people aren't going to have a desk to work at next week?" He is about to escalate the situation when his manager steps in and tells him who we are and why we are here. He gets into an argument with his manager about needing to know these things, I just ignored them from here and let them fight it out.

But now we are in, all I need is to get into the loading dock. We have advised him that we are going there now, we will be at the gate in 1 minute. So I'm at the intercom:

Me: Hi there, it's Mickey Mouse Moving
    Guard: Yes??
    Me: I was just at your desk.
    Guard: Okay, what do you need?
    Me: I need to get to your loading dock
    Guard: What are you doing here?
    Me: We are delivering your furniture
    Guard: Hold on

2 minutes later he finally opens the gate. The truck directly behind me had to go through the same song and dance.

On to round 2. We are back to bring more furniture in.
    Me: Good morning, Mickey Mouse Moving, we've got some furniture for Lisa
    Guard: For who?
    Me: Lisa .... Dufresne
    Guard: (looking at me like I'm a total idiot) Individuals don't get furniture here
    Me: (returning his idiot stare) Okay, there are these things known as "managers" who look after departments, Lisa is my contact, how about you call her
    Guard: What is it you have?
    Me: Off - ice furn - i - ture

At this point his manager steps in again and tells him it is the pedestal delivery.

Guard: Why didn't you tell me it was pedestals?
    Me: because pedestals are furniture, and all you need to do is call Lisa

This clown acts like he's guarding Fort Knox. He wants to be the hero who stopped the infiltrators from entering his building. Just do your job moron, call the person that I'm here to see and let me be their responsibility.
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

I've worked with entirely too many guards that are this dense. Hell, I even fired one just like that. While I can understand not being happy about not being informed of a delivery, he should have waited until after you were gone to take that up with his boss. Completely unprofessional for him to bitch about it while you were right there.

Comment

The guards at the old client I worked for often had this attitude. Experienced it again when I went back to do some freelance programming work for them. It's the middle of summer, and I worked at that site for 14 years so I knew the rules. Being a manufacturing plant, they have the usual safety rules of no open toed shoes, no shorts, PPE required, etc. However, that only applies to the plant floor itself. If you're only going into the office building, it's not applicable. This guy, however, wanted to show that he was Mr. Important by giving me crap about the fact I had on jean shorts since it was, duh, the middle of summer. Even after I explained the fact that I'd worked there, I knew the rules, and knew there was no problem with it, he still wanted to give me crap.

This guy, however, did end up calling my contact who shut him down, said there was no issue with it, and send me up so we could get started. Fun watching him try to backtrack, but it was too late. Victory for me, sucker.
      A fact of life: After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F.....

Comment

Welcome to petty enforcers with a way too over-inflated sense of their self-worth. I see this far too often.
        "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Seems like a lot of wasted time , someone with experience should be able to work without all these questions, and independently without the boss stepping in

Comment

Safety lines

Quoth IT Grunt View Post
            Even after I explained the fact that I'd worked there, I knew the rules, and knew there was no problem with it, he still wanted to give me crap.
            That is so idiot, the times I had to go to one company you had to walk thru the plant to get to the offices. All they did is have a safety officer walk with me to make sure I stayed inside the yellow lines on the floor that marked where was safe in the plant if you did not have safety shoes or googles.

The other plant where I had to wear safety shoes they told my manager BEFORE I was even scheduled to go so I knew before I arrived that I needed the safety equipment.
            Last edited by EricKei; 01-16-2018, 05:05 PM. Reason: snip

Comment

How hard is it for the guard to say, "I'm sorry I wasn't informed of your delivery. Hold on while I call your contact."?
              Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

Quoth Cia View Post
                How hard is it for the guard to say, "I'm sorry I wasn't informed of your delivery. Hold on while I call your contact."?
                I get these kinds all the time. I suppose they can't complain to anybody else, so they flex some muscle and be the big man to the lowly contractors that have no pull in the building.

Sometimes I get the ones who just need to vent and I'm right on board with them.

It's never a problem if somebody doesn't want to let me in the building, obviously it's just procedure and somebody didn't do their job right. But there is no need to treat the innocent party in the whole thing like crap.
                D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
                Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Comment

Working...
                X