X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well they're not there so you can stop searching

No sir, it's "Deck the halls, Deck the Halls"

I had a customer approach me the other day asking where we keep our Christmas lights all the while apparently exploring his, um, jingle bells.

I pointed him in the direction of the clearance aisle because if we still have Christmas lights, that's where they'd be.

But It's Still Winter

Most of our winter clothes are gone. Gloves, snow pants, etc. It's not my fault but I have a lot of people who tell me, "Yeah but it's still winter though."

I know. But the company's switching to the spring and summer stock. It's all there is to it. Now we'll have shorts and summer wear that you people won't want until we're in the dead of winter.
    Don't waste time trying to convince someone that the sky is blue.

The first one... Ewww.

The second one... That's the way clothing retail works, and has for a very very long time. I've run into this once or twice and luckily now we live in the age of the internet, and I just found whatever item online. This year I'm making sure to shop for swimsuits early (like, now) because that's one thing I refuse to buy online. See how that works? Planning ahead.
    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Before the Internet, my parents just bought everything ahead of time. Having four of us before 1990 taught them that.

Comment

NAR, you are absolutely right. I don't understand these people who wait until January to buy a coat. Well, I do have to say that here in the frozen tundra we have learned to coat shop in early fall/late summer. I tried that; no decent coats until November, even online!
        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
          I don't understand these people who wait until January to buy a coat.
          I did it to get a good deal - I got 60% off the original price. I will concede though that it was a gamble to wait till end of season, since I might not have found something I liked in my size.

Comment

What if your one good winter coat develops a major rip or tear in it? You wanna go without for the next three months in 30-degree weather?

Comment

I do understand that when someone has a ripped coat or lost glove that they would try to replace it ASAP when it is cold. I have also lived through 60 winters and have been frustrated when I'm trying to find replacement gloves and the stores are all carrying spring clothing. I have NEVER once taken it out on a retail person, I've just left and looked for other options.

I have found that the best time to shop for winter wear very cheaply is during spring is at thrift stores when everyone donates what they outgrew or didn't like over the winter.

Nice new boxed gloves and never worn coats. Comforters that were the wrong color and boxed boots that didn't fit. I pay pennies on the dollar and no longer have to frantically search for a new pair of gloves because I currently own...counting in my head...9 pair.

Comment

Yeah, the clothing thing drives me crazy. When I was a kid, a teen, even in my twenties, there would be a big clearance sale every January. You could find winter stuff at good prices. Now, you're lucky if you find one small rack of picked-over stuff. This is why I buy all my clothes either online or at the thrift store.

But I never took it out on the sales reps in the store. Wasn't their decision.
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
                  What if your one good winter coat develops a major rip or tear in it? You wanna go without for the next three months in 30-degree weather?
                  I lost a pair of gloves that way last winter. All that were left was a pair of clearance woolens.
                  I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                  -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Wait, doesn't everybody else have at least a 'back up' coat? I have various jackets and coats in various weights, so if my main coat dies, I can wear a sweatshirt with a lighter jacket and be fine. And I also have multiple pairs of gloves, because I lose them a lot. And always the right glove, never the left.

On the other hand, I also make most of my jackets and coats, so another coat is just a sewing room away.

Comment

Ideally I would have a backup of everything but the only security I have against losing gloves and the like is experience. It's cold without them, they're hard to replace, so started keeping better track.

Comment

It is a gamble, but if you're lucky, you might find them on clearance. I had the very good luck of finding a nice raincoat today at 40% off, in my hard-to-find size. But you can't expect them to be there, especially since stores are setting up their spring merchandise, as they've done every year for many decades.
                        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                        My LiveJournal
                        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

NAR, you are absolutely right. I don't understand these people who wait until January to buy a coat. Well, I do have to say that here in the frozen tundra we have learned to coat shop in early fall/late summer. I tried that; no decent coats until November, even online!
                          Well, i will say while I have a bunch of coats I wear now, I'm kind of on the hunt for a new one, and will look NOW since they're on sale. But if i needed one, i'd buy it before i needed it!

Comment

See, the problem with winter coats is that they are bloody friggin' expensive. Good ones are, anyway. I need DOWN because poly fiberfill will not cut it. Just like I only buy WATERPROOF winter boots, not "water resistant" (ha!) And it's just not always been possible for me to buy a good down coat when I need one.

I have been lucky enough to find a good short coat in a second-hand shop. My long coat with a hood, I had to buy online, and paid nearly full price for, but again, I was lucky because at the time I had the money. So I totally get that some people may not have the money to buy these things at the time they first come out (freakin' July?! wtf)

As I said, they used to have really good clearance sales in January. You might've had to search through lots of stuff but you could find really good items at good sale prices. Now? Come January, ALL the winter stuff mysteriously disappears and all you can find is t-shirts and swimsuits. That might be nice for spring break but not everybody is going to spend two weeks in Acapulco (or wherever they go these days). Some of us still have 4 months of crappy weather to get through, and if your coat just can't last that long you're out of luck. Thank god for thrift stores and second-hand shops.
                            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

And, for the record, I lost one of my nice winter gloves on the train last week, and had to rummage through a pile of crappy second-hand pairs at Walmart in order to find a replacement pair the other day.

Comment

Working...
                              X