Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > Sucky Customers

Closed Thread

"YOU'RE NOT AMERICAN! I CAN TELL BY YOUR EYES!"
Old 06-11-2008, 05:27 PM
Call Center Slave

Default "YOU'RE NOT AMERICAN! I CAN TELL BY YOUR EYES!"

This gem I got second hand from my mother.

My mom goes to a deli run by a Korean family for her lunch when working. In the deli everyday is the couple and their son who, while I don't think he was born in the US, grew up in NYC and is pretty much American.

So, a while ago my mother was in there getting coffee and an irate asshole walks in. He asked SOME stupid question, to which the son started giving the answer to until he was interrupted with "SEE! I KNOW YOU'RE NOT AMERICAN! I CAN TELL BY YOUR EYES!" then stormed out, with both my mother and the son just staring at each other.

The Son: ...What was that about?
My Mom: I have no idea...

Then they laughed for a good long time.

Things I've Learned: Birth is not a miracle, it's a science, and science is damned disgusting. It's also really, really, cool.

Old 06-11-2008, 05:39 PM
Front End Supervisor

As soon as I saw the title of this thread, I knew it was going to be good . . .

There's no point in trying to make sense of people like this. It'll only give you a headache.

I just have to marvel at the idea of somebody freaking out and accusing a person of not being an American just because the person is Asian . . .

. . . in NEW YORK, of all places!

“Yes, it’s real.”

Last edited by Anthony K. S.; 06-11-2008 at 05:45 PM.

Old 06-11-2008, 05:49 PM
Call Center Slave

And this is in MANHATTAN. If it was one of the other boroughs, it would make some sort of sense, as Brooklyn is chock full of that kind of stupid, but Manhattan? I feel so disillusioned...

Things I've Learned: Birth is not a miracle, it's a science, and science is damned disgusting. It's also really, really, cool.

Old 06-11-2008, 06:06 PM
Assistant Manager

Now, now. Let us not be nasty about Brooklyn. The borough probably has the most diverse population in the city. At least it seems that way in my neighborhood.

A jerk like that in the original post would have been laughed right out of the shop.

Old 06-11-2008, 06:19 PM
Call Center Slave

Quote:
Quoth LibraryLady View Post
Now, now. Let us not be nasty about Brooklyn. The borough probably has the most diverse population in the city. At least it seems that way in my neighborhood.

A jerk like that in the original post would have been laughed right out of the shop.
Trust me, I loves my Brooklyn, and the area i used to live in was wonderful. Now, I live in a Black neighborhood where everyone give my mom the "She stole one of our men" look and I'm more then a little peeved.

Old 06-11-2008, 06:49 PM
Instiller of lesser vices

Because not being American is the worst thing ever. Closed minded idiots.

I once had someone tell me an anecdote about his daughter going on trips "around the world" with the grandparents. He then proceeded to list off a lot of locations in America.

http://www.dywhcomic.com

Old 06-11-2008, 06:54 PM
Call Center Slave

Quote:
Quoth Apathy View Post
Because not being American is the worst thing ever. Closed minded idiots.

I once had someone tell me an anecdote about his daughter going on trips "around the world" with the grandparents. He then proceeded to list off a lot of locations in America.
Funniest thing being that while the parents were American Citizen Koreans, the son is TOTALLY American.

You know, I'll admit, every state has a different culture, much like how in NYC, every neighborhood is dramatically different.

However, I don't consider walking around Manhattan as "traveling a lot," and would never consider traveling around the US as "going around the world."

Old 06-11-2008, 07:08 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Quoth Anthony K. S. View Post
I just have to marvel at the idea of somebody freaking out and accusing a person of not being an American just because the person is Asian . . .
My former co-worker, J, (the same idiot who didn't want women in the workplace) did that constantly. He was constantly going on about how Asians were not Americans...never mind that quite a few were born here

Old 06-11-2008, 07:17 PM
Assistant Manager

Thumbs down

Quote:
Quoth Pixagi View Post
So, a while ago my mother was in there getting coffee and an irate asshole walks in. He asked SOME stupid question, to which the son started giving the answer to until he was interrupted with "SEE! I KNOW YOU'RE NOT AMERICAN! I CAN TELL BY YOUR EYES!" then stormed out, with both my mother and the son just staring at each other.
I don't suppose you know what the question was, do you? Because if it's not about the country, this comment is on the verge of... You don't want to know.

Either way, the comment was racist and uncalled for.

Old 06-11-2008, 07:31 PM
Content Slut

THEY TOOK OUR JERBS~!
Closed Thread