Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Our SPECIALS are SPECIAL, hence the name.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our SPECIALS are SPECIAL, hence the name.

I saw that on a coaster at Outback Steakhouse and have been using it ever since.

I work at a wood office furniture company. I help people buy our furniture, and sometimes help them with creating special products to meet their needs, that are something we an manufacture, and they can afford. My customers are interior designers or furniture dealers that are a middle man buying furniture for an actual customer.

The customer wants a bookcase. They tell me that they need it to be 34" wide and about 70" tall. No problem, our standard is 36x70. Here is the conversation:

Customer: I need a 34" bookcase.

Me: Our standard is 36".

Customer: Ok, quote it.

(I send them a quote that afternoon. The next day they call back:

Customer: I told you I need a 34" bookcase.

Me: well, 36" is our closest standard size.

Customer: They specifically requested. 34"

Me: Ok, well, we can do 34" as a special, but it is more expensive.

Customer: Why?

Me: (thinking "What part of SPECIAL do you not understand?") Well, there is a top panel, a bottom panel, and the 4 shelves that all have to be cut down to size. New part drawings have to be generated, and a lot of engineering work to implement those part drawings for that specific order.

Customer: Oh. Well, quote it.

(I re-do the and send it to the customer.)

Customer: Hey, why did these get so much more expensive?

Me: They went up the exact amount that I discussed on the phone with you.

Customer: Well....I thought you were exaggerating. Can't you just tell the bookcase guy to make that one a little smaller? I don’t see what the problem is.

Me: Well, every order that gets entered goes in by model number. Each model number has an associated set of drawings, and machine programs that cut out the pieces needed. Those pieces have a set of shop routing paperwork that sent the pieces thru assembly, thru finishing, and thru inspection where they have charts on how to and where to measure the piece so we know it was built right. Your bookshelf does not have a standard model number, so we have to manually create the drawings of all 11 pieces that need to be made, only TWO of which are standard parts. Then we have to create machine programs that will cut out the parts needed. Then we have to create a special shop routing page because the normal equipment are built to assemble a 36" case, and a 34" case will not fit, so it has to be assembled by hand. Then we have to create a custom measurements page so the inspectors can verify that it was built correctly. That is the extra cost for the Specials. Most things seem simple until you understand them.

Customer: Wow, I never knew that much was involved in a special.

Me: Well...our specials are special, hence the name.

Quoth bob the goat View Post
    Most things seem simple until you understand them.
    Awesome

Comment

You mean to tell me you don't have that shrinker? Isn't it right next to your board puller? I've heard your competition has a shrinker and a puller.

Well if you don't have that (pshaw) then take a radial arm saw and cut it smaller for me!

Comment

Customer: Well....I thought you were exaggerating.
        Yes, that's something I do often for no reason.
        Excuse me, good sir paladin, can you direct me to your EVIL district?

http://www.dywhcomic.com

Comment

Customer: Hey, why did these get so much more expensive?

Me: They went up the exact amount that I discussed on the phone with you.

Customer: Well....I thought you were exaggerating.

Ohhh, ouch.
          Ah, tally-ho, yippety-dip, and zing zang spillip! Looking forward to bullying off for the final chukka?

Comment

Me: Well...our specials are special, hence the name.
            Evidently, so are your customers. Yikes.
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Duh. I love it when people think they know better than you, and also think that they shouldn't have to pay for certain things. Problem is, the things they don't feel they should pay for make no sense!

My boss is a case in point; this is definitely a potential SC story! He's getting married - again, and its his fiancee's first. his only job is to get the photographer. He was unsure as to whether or not they take pics during dinner, while people are eating, ok, that's a legitimate question....and I said, well, generally you FEED them as well..he has no problem with that either...BUT...he doesnt; think he should have to pay them whle they are DOING NOTHING! Seriously????? You pay a flat price, and your contract spells out what you get. But NO photog in their right mind would agree to being paid WHILE they are actually snapping pictures, but not while they eat. Next thing he'll want to knock off $50 every time they go to pee!!!!

Comment

They are not "doing nothing". Indeed, they are not even "enjoying your wedding feast". Instead, they are "removed from their own family and required to spend the time here, not wherever they'd actually LIKE to be".

THIS is why you pay them.

Sheesh.

Comment

Yes, I attempted to explain that to him....that they are there doing a job, and taking THEIR time to do it, and shoudl get paid. i think it went in one ear, and out the other. hopefully his fiancee can knock some sense into him!

Comment

Huh. Well, I suppose it could be worse. He could offer to call one of his exes and borrow their old dress for his current betrothed to wear, thereby saving enough money to feed to photographer.
                    "I've never had a heart attack, but it isn't for my son's lack of trying." - Me

Comment

Working...
                    X