X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you're only a customer if you pay your bills .... good riddance to her

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
      Later that night, my wife called SM and told her not to bother bringing junior back the next day or any day after that as he was no longer welcome at the daycare. She whined and begged and pleaded for him to be allowed to come tomorrow as if she had to find new accommodations it would "terribly inconvenience" her, but my wife said no.
      Served SM right. She inconvenienced your wife by not paying for services rendered. If she was truly in a bind with her finances, SM should've given your wife notice and try to work out some payment arrangements. I think SM was just trying to be slick with getting something for nothing. Nobody works for free, so why should we be expected to.
      I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
      Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
      Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

I agree. You're not her mother or her sister. She can't expect you to completely forgive a week's worth of work. Payment arrangements or getting something valuable in return instead of payment would be quite fair. But not simply assuming that, for one week, she is totally free of payment. Somehow, I don't think you hand out coupons for babysitting service like that. I can just see it now: "Six weeks for the price of five with this coupon . . ." What a nightmare that would lead to.
        Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

I say if it's possible take her on one of those court shows to get the $100 that she owes. My choices either People's Court or Judge Judy, both of them would rake her over the coals and I would LOVE to see it. That mother needs it.

Comment

How much do you want to bet she tries to show up with Jr. anyway. Because "it's your fault she has to find another daycare".

Comment

She's going to learn that good and cheap daycares are hard to find, especially on such short notice. She's going to pay out the nose until she finds another reputable daycare.

I'd take SM back, but only if she paid the past due amount and started paying in advance. Because yes, she would definitely pull that crap again.
              A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Wait, she just decided out of the blue that she was going to get a free week of daycare? Holy crap, talk about arrogant, cheap and stupid! "Finances are tight," yeah, for you as well, so where does she get off pulling this?

I wouldn't take her kid back, even with payment in advance, because you know she would eventually try it again.
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

If this woman "didn't feel like paying", then she should have kept her child at home that week...>_>

And yeah, IF she comes back begging you to work with her again (and you are willing to do so), require the back payment AND that all future weeks be paid in advance-- IN WRITING.
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Child care basic rate is $60 A DAY here (that's what the tax man says). I take care of my nephew one day a week, and I'd do it for free if I could, but my sister earns a lot more than I do and insists on paying me... so I let her. It's handy being able to buy groceries and such.

I earn that $60 though. After a day with Cutest Nephew I'm usually absolutely brain-dead-tired, even more than from an 8 hour shift at my other job! I can't imagine taking care of several little persons!!

Comment

Your wife did the right thing. Agreeing to take him back and charge her double isn't going to do any good at all. If you're going to do that you might as well charge her a million bucks a week. The results will be the same, you ain't gonna get paid a dime.

Someone this delusional is not someone you want to be dealing with at any price.

Comment

Wow, the nerve of some people. I wonder if she works in a business and if she tolerates people taking her services and deciding not to pay. Does your wife have people sign contracts? If so, she might be able to take her to small claims court.

Comment

Quoth mae View Post
                          Glad to see your wife won't be watching Junior anymore, but she should have also told his mother "See you in court" for that money owed.
                          When my dad had his ad agency, he did have a few clients who refused to pay. And yes, he heard all the excuses. Instead of arguing...he simply took the bastards to court. His attitude was "fuck you, I don't run a charity." The final "fuck you" came from the newspaper--occasionally the story of who couldn't pay (and who got sued because of it)...sometimes showed up in the business section. Word does get around, and freelancers will steer clear of companies that try to stiff them.
                          Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

It's a small enough amount that I'm not sure small claims court is worth it, except for this: to teach her a valuable lesson. She can decide not to pay you, but that doesn't mean there will be no consequences.
                            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Is it worth the time and effort to take her to small claims court? Maybe she needs to be taught a valuable life lesson through all of this:

Don't stiff a business. They will not appreciate it.

But seriously, what planet is she living on where you can just decide to not pay someone for services rendered?

Comment

Wow, she's got some nerve! I agree with the previous posters, your wife did the right thing. The SM would do it again and again and again, if it had worked, so she needed to be taught a lesson. I pity the kid, though, because he's going to be in the middle of this and feel all the consequences.

If I were in her shoes, I'd either keep the kid home for the week I couldn't pay, or call you and your wife and ask if we could make some kind of arrangement. I'd also be pretty embarrassed and humble about it, since I'd know that you've earned the money by doing the work, and that you've got expenses, too. Or does she think that you - and the kids, for that matter - don't have to eat?
                                Last edited by Engmfj; 08-22-2011, 03:46 AM. Reason: Added a sentence

Comment

Working...
                                X