This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Sleep

So this is pretty weird. I am a stomach sleeper. I have to fall asleep on my stomach, I just can't any other way, though sometimes I wake up on my back or side. I'm most comfortable on my stomach.

Unfortunately at the moment I can't sleep on my stomach and it's not advisable for me to sleep on my back either. Which leaves my side(s). I have been trying to sleep on my side but it sucks. I can't curl into the fetal position, it feels uncomfortable to me, as I like to stretch out when I sleep. But sleeping on my side, stretched out, invariably ends with me waking up in the middle of the night with my shoulder aching and/or my hip in agony.

I don't remember having this trouble with my first pregnancy- it was a while ago though- and while I had a pillow to sort of grapple with later in the pregnancy, it's not working now (about 3 months in).

Any advice on how to sleep on my side without waking up in pain?
    https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

First off, check the mattress. How bad does it sag?
    Make sure you have a pillow that hold you head level. As a stomach sleeper, you probably have a fairly flat pillow. You may need more height to it.
    Put a pillow between your knees to hold your legs level/parallel. Body pillow might help.
    Look at your figure. How do your hips/stomach/shoulders line up? Use a small, folded blanket or towel to keep you spine in line.
    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
    Save the Ales!
    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

When I need to sleep on my side, I like to pile up pillows and/or blankets behind me. It allows me to lean back just a little and take some of the pressure off my shoulder.
      The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

I can't recommend a body pillow (sometimes sold as a maternity pillow) too highly. The one I have is a $20 (AU) cheapie from a department store, but it truly does the job.

For me, I lie with my head propped on pillows enough that my underneath shoulder is reasonably square, my lower arm under the body pillow, upper arm above it. My lower leg is stretched out along the pillow, my upper leg is on top of the pillow.

This leaves my spine straight, and allows me to get to sleep comfortably.

.... now I just need a second one for when I want to roll over and still hug a body pillow.
        Seshat's self-help guide:
        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Thanks everyone! I tried using my old body pillow last night and it seemed to help, but then my neck hurt, so I think I do need a second pillow for my head to keep my whole body aligned.
          https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

I solved the hip problem by taking a spare "donut" pillow for a chair and placing it under my hip.

Comment

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
              Thanks everyone! I tried using my old body pillow last night and it seemed to help, but then my neck hurt, so I think I do need a second pillow for my head to keep my whole body aligned.
              If you can get one of those chiropractic pillows with the indent in the middle/raised on other side, that helps with the shoulder/neck alignment as it raises your head up enough without getting too high like a second pillow might. I've got a Tempur-pedic one that I adore.
              My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

You might consider a foam wedge to hold your back when you sleep on your side. Or, a couple of king sized pillows is what I often use. I like to sleep on my stomach too, but with my bad back it is not a good idea any more.

The mattress makes all the difference in the world, but that may be too expensive an option for you.
                They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Working...
                X