Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

English, of course. Some of the heavier dialects are gibberish to me (there is some reality show from Scotland I think that I can only understand the word "f*cking", which is OK because it's every other word) but I can sometimes sound a bit like someone from a different country/area if I try.

French, a fair bit, but it's very rusty. I can read some German and understand less when spoken, and don't speak much of it. My Spanish and Italian are both of the "cafe" variety--e.g., enough to get a meal. I can puzzle out a few Russian words in Cyrillic, and can even speak a few words of it in a way that makes Russians think I am a native. (For about 1/4 second.)
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
    One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
    The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Does Pittsburghese count? While you don't hear the dialect as often now, it's still here. For example, "Are you taking the trolley downtown to Liberty (Avenue) for a beer and a sandwich?" becomes "Yinz ridin' da streecar dahntahn to S'Libertyf for an Arn and a sammich?"

But seriously, I only speak English fluently. I took 4 years of Spanish, but that fell into disuse some years ago. Also, I can understand "trailer park," "moron," and related languages. However, I don't speak them
      Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

I used to speak Toddler. As a teen I was Speaker-To-Animals for my mother....
        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I speak Danish, English and German (badly). I can understand Norwegian and Swedish and can usually remember which words are different (or the same words that mean something different ). I know the numbers and some greetings in Croatian and can read a simple text in Dutch after having sold Batavus bikes.

Comment

I speak English and Angrish equally well.
            PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Tanasi - Modern Hawaiian and Hawaiian english (according to a friend who lived there for several years) have a fair amount of Japanese slang and other terminology in it, and Japanese has a surprising amount of Portuguese loanwords (e.g. "pan," which means "bread" in many languages...including Japanese). Perhaps that is the connection.

On the JP in HI -- He told me that many residents, even those of not of HI/JP descent, will use mixed sentences such as "Hey, wanna go tabe?" for "Hey, wanna go out for some food?" (tabe is short for "tabemono," "food" in JP)
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Merican English, shorthand, and Spanglish. I watch a lot of subbed anime so basic Japanese too. :-D
                Can't reason with the unreasonable.
                The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

Comment

Quoth Blue Ginger View Post

Learning languages in school wasn't really a thing until I was in high school. And then it was whatever your school offered. Mine had Indonesian and Italian, where as my brother's had German and an Asian language but I can't remember which one. A few years into high school, Dept of Education started pushing for languages in primary schools. I think that is fantastic. I think it would have been easier for me to pick another language then. Now, it's near impossible for me to pick up spoken language, but it is easier to expand on my ability to read French.
                  You must be WAY older than me then, as I cannot recall a time where I did not learn a second language in primary school (mine was French). I was a 90's kid.

(first high school I went to did French, Indonesian or Italian, second high school I went to did German or Japanese at the time, but eventually added French. I've since learned that the first high school dropped Indonesian entirely after I left. First high school also had the option where you could go to one of the nearby high schools and join them for a language class)

As for languages, aside from English, I know a smattering of words in these languages:

- French
                  - Japanese
                  - Kaurna (the Aboriginal language in my hometown - a lot of suburbs and places near me had some origin in that language and this caused a bit of a stir when I was a kid for an entirely different reason - I'll explain below)
                  - Auslan (fingerspelling, a few first aid phrases, hello, how are you, my name is and a few other phrases.)

When I was younger, I learned that the name for a particular river near me meant "Women's river" in the Kaurna language. As it happened, the local council district also went by the same name. As a teenager, they tried to shorten that name to appeal to the young'uns, except that by doing so, they were basically calling themselves the "Women's Council District." Yeah, that got changed back pretty quick (although they did keep their logo, which was far nicer than their older one).

Comment

OK I'll give it a shot... Marni niina?marni'ai
                    The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Working...
                    X