X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth gremcint View Post
    I tried to tell him he needed to just read what the screen said
    I wish they hadn't made me learn to ring at my work. I don't think I could be a full time cashier, it would kill me. For example, this lady had a card with a chip, and she had inserted and ripped the card out like three times in a row before I could stop her, and the register had actually backed out, so I had to total the transaction again. She again rapidly inserts and removes the card, and asks me why it's not working. Enjoy!

Me: What did the screen say?
    Her: I don't know.
    Me: *puts her card back in* Okay, now it says 'do not remove card' so don't remove the card. Now it wants you to confirm the total....
    Her: *does nothing*
    Me: Now you need to push 'accept'
    Her: *hits accept, stares at screen* Now I'm done?
    Me: The screen says 'please remove card' so you can remove your card.
    Her: So I'm done?
    Me: It's asking for your signature.
    Her: *signs, does nothing else*
    Me: You have to press 'accept signature'
    Her *tries to use her finger, but our readers don't always register that*
    Me: Try the stylus.
    Her: *uses stylus to hit the screen like she's trying to break it, takes three tries* We're done?
    Me: The screen says 'accepted' so yes, here's you're receipt, I hope you're not driving today.

Okay I didn't say that last part, but I was thinking it...
    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth AdamAnt316 View Post
      Pretty much any computer which still has a floppy disk drive installed will throw the good ol' "NON-SYSTEM DISK OR DISK ERROR" if someone happened to leave a non-bootable disk in the drive when it was turned off. And I'm pretty sure even the modern machines could still be booted from an old-fashioned DOS boot floppy if they happened to have a floppy drive connected, even the USB type. Back in the XP days, I used a special boot disk in a USB floppy drive to make my Sony Vaio laptop boot from the Red Hat 9 partition I'd installed on its hard drive...
      -Adam
      Where the hell is the nerd smilie?!
      Reminds me of a signature back in my newsgroup days 'Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my drive?'
      Seph
      Taur10
      "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

gremcint -- I wonder if he ever reached a prompt asking him to setup a password...You coulda just told him it was hunter2...
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

From my early days working tech support, I learned sympathy for the RTFS folks when I realized that they were technophobic, and their faculties were blocked by anxiety or panic. "Fear is the mind-killer...".

Comment

Quoth Mental_Mouse View Post
            From my early days working tech support, I learned sympathy for the RTFS folks when I realized that they were technophobic, and their faculties were blocked by anxiety or panic. "Fear is the mind-killer...".
            I have plenty of sympathy for the technophobe, but that evaporates when the technophobe goes into a-hole mode. I know they can't always help it (anxiety does that to some people), but I can't be bothered to distinguish between 'issues' and 'just an asshole' in those situations.
            Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

Quoth Mental_Mouse View Post
              When I learned that I had to remove the plastic film from glossy surfaces on equipment I set up because the users were too scared to (yes, I'm serious) I remained eternally thankful that they're not violent luddites.
              I AM the evil bastard!
              A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
                ... I had to remove the plastic film from glossy surfaces ...
                Credit years of books, shows and movies where touching the *wrong* key causes all the wiring to anaconda out of the walls and spit sparks at our hero/doofuss.
                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
                X