Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How'd you like to end up wearing that drink, you old fart ...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How'd you like to end up wearing that drink, you old fart ...

So today, for the first time, I got put on bar. (The Mothership is a coffee place so there's no alcohol involved ... more's the pity.)

We offer half a dozen different types of dairy and non-dairy items. One old asshat wanted non-fat milk (just so you know this wasn't an allergy issue). I was more than a bit scrambled by then and reached for the 2%.

Trainer: "No, no, the non-fat!"

Me: "Oh, right, sorry."

Old Fart: "NON-FAT!! PAY ATTENTION!!"

Luckily he decided to get snippy at the exact moment Trainer was correcting me, so I was easily able to ignore him. I plopped his (correctly-made) drink in front of him without a word and immediately moved on to the next drink.

Sheesh. I could've understood his reaction if he'd asked for almond or soy or something or even lactose-free milk ... but ironically the one or two errors of that sort that did occur (and none were my error, incidentally; the cups were wrongly marked) were met by "Oh, no problem, I'll wait" and a smile after I apologized and re-made the drink correctly.

I have sympathy, by the way, for the person at the till who mis-marked the cups; it can be really hard to hear customers, especially if they are softly-spoken, when you've got a bunch of chattering, beeping machinery and various alarms behind you.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Wow, I can't usually even see them making the drink, this guy must've been watching like a mean hawk to see you going for the wrong milk. Or maybe he just heard the trainer? In which case, go ahead and STFU, you had already been corrected. I like the chain where you work. They mostly get things right, I think they're trained well.

There are a couple things that pretty consistently are wrong, but I watch for it, and nicely ask for it to be fixed. One is whenever I order on the app, they almost never give me my whipped cream. I don't specify no-whip, and it's listed as part of the drink. I know why they don't put it on, because so many people don't want it, but don't SAY they don't want it. As soon as I hesitate at the counter, the barista will say, oh did you want whipped cream?
    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Oh, good grief. The difference between non-fat and 2% is <drumroll> 5 grams of fat. It's not even worth getting upset about if it's not an allergy issue. I don't know of any disease that allows zero dietary fat. In fact, we need it. I think he's just picky because he likes milk that tastes like water. Well, if he doesn't want the creamy goodness then I'll take it!
      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Alas, you now work in a dangerous place.

You stand between people and their caffeine(Their sugary milky caffeine)

I never worked where you do, but I did work in a small local coffee shop before and people can be downright evil before they've had their cup of uppers!

Comment

Quoth Sulhythal View Post
          ...people can be downright evil before they've had their cup of uppers!
          Seems that some people haven't learned one thing. That is...you never want to piss off the person that controls your booze/coffee/food supply
          Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Usually, if I have to buy coffee, that means that I haven't yet had coffee, or are having one of those times when nothing else will do.

I am very aware that I do not function well when not properly caffeinated, so if I order an extra large with cream and syrup and get a small black, I just wander over to the fixings counter and mix something in and drink it. After I feel that I can properly order coffee, I will go back and order what I really wanted.

No yelling or screaming or anything. I needed the caffeine, syrup and cream are just part of the delivery system. Not to mention that I usually assume that I just mumbled something about coffee to the person taking my order and they didn't really understand anything else, so gave me something that sounded like what I wanted. I did get what I wanted the most, so it was all good.
            Last edited by Slave to the Phone; 11-02-2017, 02:05 AM.

Comment

I have often apologized to the barista at my local coffee shop for not being able to order in complete sentences...
              “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
              One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
              The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

I'm sure the morning people are used to customers that can't form a thought until they get their coffee. It's only when they start yelling about stupid things that it becomes a problem.

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                  Well, if he doesn't want the creamy goodness then I'll take it!

And who wouldn't want all that creamy goodness?As I used as the main point of my defence in court when she complained about it...
                  The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                    Oh, good grief. The difference between non-fat and 2% is <drumroll> 5 grams of fat. It's not even worth getting upset about if it's not an allergy issue. I don't know of any disease that allows zero dietary fat. In fact, we need it. I think he's just picky because he likes milk that tastes like water. Well, if he doesn't want the creamy goodness then I'll take it!

Food Lady, I have recently become aware of an actual disease that requires extremely low levels of fat. Gastropariesis. My niece has it. It's a dreadful disease where her stomach simply doesn't empty well, so she has developed a very specific diet of low fat/low fiber that doesn't make her stomach hurt. Poor girl. Those 5 grams of fat would have forced her to be in severe pain for hours if she didn't plan around it very carefully.

HOWEVER.....she wouldn't get all ballistic and SC on a barista that didn't know that. My niece was raised to treat people like human beings.

It just seems to me that some people barrel through life looking for ways to be offended just so they can get their jollies off by screaming at some poor hapless service person.

Comment

My DM is the same, lethal level food allergies to things that are VERY common and yet she has enough decency to not yell at someone for a goof. Let's face it, when you are allergic to wheat, dairy, soybeans, peanuts and apples (those are the epi pen level ones) plus more, there will be a slip up sooner rather than later. Not pitching a fit gets better results.

Or as anyone who has ever worked in CS will tell you, "Lose your sh!t at me, I will lose all desire to help *you*"

Mom also says that being a drama queen makes the waiter/cook take you less seriously that it could be fatal, not more.

Comment

Quoth ladyjaneinmd View Post
                        Food Lady, I have recently become aware of an actual disease that requires extremely low levels of fat. Gastropariesis. My niece has it. It's a dreadful disease where her stomach simply doesn't empty well, so she has developed a very specific diet of low fat/low fiber that doesn't make her stomach hurt. Poor girl. Those 5 grams of fat would have forced her to be in severe pain for hours if she didn't plan around it very carefully.
                        If you are that allergic to fat, would you go into a coffee shop and order dairy?
                        Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                        Save the Ales!
                        Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
                          If you are that allergic to fat, would you go into a coffee shop and order dairy?
                          I tend to agree with this. I don't have food allergies, but 1 more bee sting will probably kill me before the ambulance arrives. If I had a severe food allergy, I don't think that I would trust anyone buy my sweetie with my food/coffee.

As someone who could die by a bee sting, but loves to grow butterflies*, I am used to dealing with bees. No scents, subdued colors, no loud noises or failing of the arms. We get along just fine.

I do NOT even trust my sweetie around bees if I am also outside. If bees get upset because one got killed, they will sometimes sting anything close. I think it has to do with phonemes or something, but the automatic reaction to getting stung is to slap whatever has stung them while saying bad words. That is very unsafe for me.

*I can brag that I grow Monarch butterflies from seed. You have to start by planting milkweed, which will attract Monarchs because that's the only plant their caterpillars can eat. This year, I raised 37 Monarchs and freed them to join the Grand Migration.

Comment

"... wearing that drink ..."

Just don't phrase your response like the girl in my High School Geometry II class to the boy behind her: "John, would you like a bust in the mouth?"

John: "Yes!!!"
                            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                              "... wearing that drink ..."

Just don't phrase your response like the girl in my High School Geometry II class to the boy behind her: "John, would you like a bust in the mouth?"

John: "Yes!!!"

Definitely the wrong way to phrase it!

Actually, I've worked a few morning shifts (starting at 7 a.m.) and those people are my preferred customers ... no fancy drinks for them, just straight caffeine!
                              Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                              ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Working...
                              X