This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's up with this?!

Lately I've been noticing that job ads are written by schmucks. They put that it's in City A but further down they says it's actually in City B, which is nowhere near City A BTW. So is it in City A or B? Because I live in City A but am not commuting to City B.
    This is a dealbreaker for me because it means the company is a bunch of clueless idiots. But lately it seems ALL the companies are copying this trend? WTF?
    BTW, Other dealbreakers for me are:
    1. must have either the address or company name. I google maps street view it and see if it has enough parking for staff. NO parking is a dealbreaker.
    2. Must be in English, not Spanish. Lately I've been seeing a LOT of ads in Spanish. I understand more than I can speak but still dealbreaker.
    3. Must have email correspondence. I don't like calling numbers. I used to do it but so many times I got laughed at when I do. WTF?
    4. When they call me, they must leave a message. If their message is not clear, it's a dealbreaker. I need someone I can understand.
    5. Must be direct to employer. A lot of huge companies use website for applications that you have to register your email. Eff THAT. They reject you and then spam your email with junk about "job openings" Major dealbreaker.
    6. Making me take a 100 question personality quiz for a non supervisory job. Eff THAT. Bunch of time wasters.
    7. Any selling, any calling, any MLMs. Been there never again.

So yeah I guess I'm a bit picky but all this is from experience. :/ As you can probably tell I don't get like 99% jobs.
    Can't reason with the unreasonable.
    The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

I joined a couple FB groups for job postings... I've seen postings where there's little details missing, like location, what the job is, phone numbers... At least half the time, these low-performing posts aren't monitored by the person posting, so I sometimes do a little Google-fu for folks.
    I've come across jobs in other states and even countries in 'Local Only' groups. Shotgun spam, anyone?
    The one 'job' that I refuse to even consider is a certain insurance company with a name that sounds like a contraction of Prime and America. One of the 'interview' bits is to list 10 of your friends/family who'd like to get calls from this GREAT company. One of the job-review websites has 2 kinds of reviews. 5 star ratings from current employees, and 1 star ratings from past employees and anyone who's ever tried to make a claim.

One of the things I've noticed about replies to a distressing number of these jobs postings on FB: The posts usually contain contact information, city and such, and the first replies are along the lines of "How does I apply?" and "What city is this in?" Seriously? You couldn't read the second line of the post?
    The other reply that is just... wrong, on a post that explicitly states how to apply: "Interested" Oh yes, because you said 'Interested', these guys are going to track you down and interview you because of your sterling qualities and eagerness.

Comment

The thing that really frosts me is not giving an address. I can't tell if the company is on a bus route, so there's no point in applying to a job I can't get to. Then there are the ones who use the city name for location, but it's actually located out in the second-ring suburbs where, again, there is NO bus service. Companies, be honest about where you're located! It doesn't matter that you're only a 15 minute drive away, if I don't have a car!
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Similar thing here, I look at what are listed as "Portland OR" job listings but they are in Vancouver WA. I can't get to a job up there! I need in actual Portland, not every surrounding city in a 4 county and 2 state area. Vancouver is NOT Portland people! Also an address would be good because I don't use a car to commute either, I need something transit goes to and doesn't take 3 hours to do.
        https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
        Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
          ... I need something transit goes to ...
          If you don't have a car we sure as hell won't pay you enough to ever buy one! Even a junker.
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Buzzard View Post
            The one 'job' that I refuse to even consider is a certain insurance company with a name that sounds like a contraction of Prime and America. One of the 'interview' bits is to list 10 of your friends/family who'd like to get calls from this GREAT company. One of the job-review websites has 2 kinds of reviews. 5 star ratings from current employees, and 1 star ratings from past employees and anyone who's ever tried to make a claim.
            Yeah I got roped into that "Prime America" once. I was using the job kiosk in a Target and this well groomed, clean cut man approached me. I decided to check it out, and they didn't ask for the numbers of my family and friends, but they did promise to give my a lot of money. When I pressed on how, they retracted it and said they wouldn't dump the money on me but they would do it after I worked for them. They avoided exactly saying how, just went on and on about money. Then they said I have to buy the $80 fee for training material and classes. Very suspicious. I booked it out of there and now everytime I see a job ad with "MAKE MONEY $$$$ TONS OF MONEY $$$ CALL NOW $$$$" I automatically assume it's no good. Add that to the list, and also when job ads get the date wrong, like for example "come join us on Saturday June 21 for a walk in interview" and Saturday is on the 23. Do they not look at a calendar?? Are they bots or just really dumb??
            Additionally, when I do find a job that looks interesting, and has an email, I email them and state that I'm interested, and what're my next steps? Are you saying that they hate that? LOL If the ad asks for a resume I give them one, even though I don't like to do that because of my personal info on there. Many times I gotten heaps of junk mail due to it. Anyway when I go to the interview, they always ask me to fill out an application even though they have my resume. And then they ask me for my resume again. -_-
            Last edited by EricKei; 06-18-2018, 12:07 AM.

Comment

I saw an ad for an apartment once. The ad said 600 but the landlord told me, over the phone, the apartment was 650. I thought that was fishy so I reported him to the website.

Come to find out much later that he might not have posted that ad in the first place, because apparently someone was posting false or misleading ads under the name of some of the better known renters in the area for whatever reason.

Not saying this the case all the time but with some of these ads for places that may be hiring, it's certainly possible.
              Don't waste time trying to convince someone that the sky is blue.

Comment

ads on indumb.com that are nothing but a picture of the help wanted sign with a phone # thats hanging on the front door. Not even a business name.
                AkaiKitsune
                Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

Another fun stunt with job postings: List a job fair or whatnot on June 15, 9AM. Great, nice, I'll be there... oh wait, you posted this on the 16th.

Comment

One of my favorite days was when I got an email aking me to come in for one of those "group info sessions" (they made it sound rather informal) for some insurance company (read: "pyramid scheme/MLM"). When I got there, they scoffed at me for failing to come dressed for an "interview" – which is what it actually was (1-on-1 interviews, and no group anything) – and they promptly showed me the door.
                    Last edited by EricKei; 06-19-2018, 11:06 AM.
                    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth TheWolfEmperor View Post
                      Come to find out much later that he might not have posted that ad in the first place, because apparently someone was posting false or misleading ads under the name of some of the better known renters in the area for whatever reason.
                      They're trying to trick unsuspecting people into giving them a cash deposit. Many people have gotten fleeced that way.

Comment

Aye. Could also be a rival or other pissed-off person trying to make them look bad.
                        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

May years ago, pre-Internet, I was looking at the Jobs section of the local newspaper and saw this little gem:

Are you tired of looking for jobs with no future?
                          Your search has ended!

Yup, that's what it said, complete with phone number and everything.
                          No, I did not apply.

Comment

Quoth ladyjaneinmd View Post

Are you tired of looking for jobs with no future?
                            Your search has ended!
                            Refreshingly honest.

Comment

If I may rant a bit more about number one on my list, parking, why oh why do companies have a dozen positions to fill and yet their parking is the size of a stamp? Where are ppl supposed to park?? Teleportation has not been invented yet! D:<

Comment

Working...
                              X