Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mother in law died on Wednesday. The official cause of death was heart failure, but it was all caused by the flu.

Comment

My condolences, I'm so sorry to hear that. The current flu stain seems to be extra hard on the elderly.
      No trees were killed in the posting of this message.

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

My grandfather died, back in 1972, after having gotten the Asian Flu that year, or the fall before? He never really got better after that, and by the time I came up for a visit to see him just before he died, I didn't recognize him in his hospital bed!

I've been a big fan of closed coffins since that year...

Comment

Quoth Minflick View Post
          My grandfather died, back in 1972, after having gotten the Asian Flu that year, or the fall before? He never really got better after that, and by the time I came up for a visit to see him just before he died, I didn't recognize him in his hospital bed!

I've been a big fan of closed coffins since that year...
          My grandfather who got cancer was cremated that's what he wanted so when my grandmother dies they can be buried together anyways my point was that my grandmother would have choose close coffin because she wanted everyone to remember him by who he was and not who he was once he started his battle with cancer they didn't even allow any pictures of him sick at the funeral except one witch was holding his last born granddaughter.

Comment

Mom is no longer in any condition to be asked her wishes, but I do remember her saying she did not want one of those open-coffin ceremonies, and she also wishes to be cremated with the "cremains" of her beloved dog. Far as I know, both are fine with the three of us kids.

Speaking of flu, I haven't had anything yet -- knock on wood -- by my coworker in my office job has been sick for over a week. Apparently her entire family has been flattened by whatever it is. I got a flu shot at the start of the season, don't know whether to give it any credit or just "sheer dumb luck."
            Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
            ~ Mr Hero

Comment

I am about ready to punch one of the ladies at our daycare. She works in the infant room (6 week to 1 year olds) and is really sweet and wonderful. But a bit of an idiot when it comes to illness apparently. My 13 month old (Sweet Potato) spends about an hour in her room until the teacher for his room arrives and then he goes over there.

She's told me that her oldest son has the flu. Which really sucks, but since she wasn't ill, it was OK. Until one morning last week when I drop the kids off and she tells me that she's making sure to turn her head away when she holds the kids because she's feeling really cruddy. She didn't want to call out on short notice and make them scramble for someone to cover for her, so she came in and worked for a few hours until her replacement came in.

Surprise, surprise, Sweet Potato wakes up screaming on Saturday night with a massive fever. We ended up having to strip him to his diaper and keep him with us to get him to sleep. And the next night was even worse - he woke up screaming every hour and we had to sleep with him in a recliner.

Monday morning at the walk-in hours at our pediatrician, it's confirmed that he has the flu and it gave him ear infections. So now he's on Tamiflu and stronger stuff than amoxicillin because we've had trouble getting rid of ear infections before. And I had to spend 2 days at home with him because I don't want to risk other's getting it. At least he's now back to sleeping through the night and is a bubbly happy boy again.

Took him back to daycare today and the same woman tells me that 2 of her kids have a stomach bug. Wonder how long before Sweet Potato gets that....

Comment

Quoth GOInsanity View Post
                ... same woman tells me that 2 of her kids have a stomach bug. Wonder how long before Sweet Potato gets that....
                Fantasizes about the ability to gene-engineer a BUG solely matched to her genetics that would produce exactly the same symptoms (stacked!) of every child she infects.

Pity for her identical twin, though.
                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Honestly, I would talk to the person in charge of the daycare about this. The teacher went to work -- working with infants! -- knowing she was sick. She may be a lovely person, but this behavior is highly irresponsible, at best. She's putting the kids at risk, and the people in charge need to understand this.
                  I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                  My LiveJournal
                  A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Agreed! There's too big a chance of one of the babies getting severely ill.

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
                      Mom is no longer in any condition to be asked her wishes, but I do remember her saying she did not want one of those open-coffin ceremonies, and she also wishes to be cremated with the "cremains" of her beloved dog. Far as I know, both are fine with the three of us kids.

Speaking of flu, I haven't had anything yet -- knock on wood ..."
                      Okay, I lied. Sis doesn't think brother is OK with Mom being cremated with the ashes of her dog ... for religious reasons.

'Scuse me? Mom wasn't religious. I said well, can the dog's ashes at least be interred with hers? No, that might not be possible either. I told sis I wanted a confirmed atheist/Wiccan/whatever overseeing my funeral, then, because I've got a BUNCH of cats that I want to go with me!

And I didn't get the flu but I did get my usual annual 'bug' -- I think it's now become my "go-to" response to stress. Luckily, as usual, it's fading quickly.
                      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth Dragon_Dreamer View Post
                        Agreed! There's too big a chance of one of the babies getting severely ill.
                        Yes. I've worked in a lot of places where people came in sick because they didn't want to overload their coworkers ... but none of those places cared for small infants. The lady needs a bit of a talking-to.
                        ~ Mr Hero

Comment

*The lady needs a bit of a talking-to. *

Erhem. I'd say she needs a HELL of a talking to. She could seriously endanger a baby with stupid behavior.

Comment

Working...
                          X